The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Jim's an extraordinary drafter of talent. Looking at the team tells you that. His trades have definitely improved over time.

The only real black mark on the man's resume is his record as a signer of free agents. There have been some truly bad signings, and some decent ones, but none could be considered great.

On his drafting alone, I think Benning will avoid the hammer should the team miss the playoffs.

Yeah trade record has definitely improved and drafting has mostly been great.

UFAs signings hmmm... Eriksson makes me sad.... do something. R.Miller was a good stop gap for Marky. Dorsett was great but needed a lot more help, 1 man army. Vanek got us Motte. Vrbata was alright but should of traded him. Myers is eh? but not his worst. Beagle's been worth it, Roussel hasn't. Ferland unfortunate. I am sure there are a few others but they weren't very memorable *cough* Gagme MDZ..

Sutter, Gud and Sbeejus were acquired via trade. Probably his worst trades though he turned Gud into Pearson which I am happy with. 

Didn't we trade someone for a 5th pick that got us Gaudette?

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think this team is dangerous when Boeser is back. Our depth will coalesce then.
And of course it would be great to have Markstrom back too.

The team has the capability and potential to be dangerous now. Seeing them manhandle Boston a couple of weeks ago proves that.

The biggest issue going forward is still the defense. It needs an increase in size, aggression, and discipline. I'm thinking Benning is already well aware of this and will do what's needed from a personnel standpoint to rectify it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Comments like this are the reason the Canucks' didn't give Horvat the Captaincy earlier than this season.  The reason why rookies are sheltered by players like the Sedins'.  Once they are the go to people the criticism gets real harsh from this fan base.

This is true. 
You take that captaincy, get ready to be held accountable. 
Criticism will be coming his way and he better be ready to step up to it. 

• Cheers 1

Change the damn slogan “we are all canucks” sounds pathetic with this fanbase.

Half this fanbase can’t even support the team in this final drive. Half of them are at offseason mode talking about firing coaches,need new owner, how to fix the cap, sign this guy waive that guy jeeez jus stfu!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The biggest issue going forward is still the defense. It needs an increase in size, aggression, and discipline. I'm thinking Benning is already well aware of this and will do what's needed from a personnel standpoint to rectify it.

I think most NHL teams want to do that as well (which is the other part of the problem).

Donnie Brasco "It's 5000 wiseguys all chasing the same nickel".

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah trade record has definitely improved and drafting has mostly been great.

Agreed.

UFAs signings hmmm... Eriksson makes me sad.... do something. R.Miller was a good stop gap for Marky. Dorsett was great but needed a lot more help, 1 man army. Vanek got us Motte. Vrbata was alright but should of traded him. Myers is eh? but not his worst. Beagle's been worth it, Roussel hasn't. Ferland unfortunate. I am sure there are a few others but they weren't very memorable *cough* Gagme MDZ..

I have to give Benning the benefit of the doubt. Could he have foreseen that players like Eriksson and Roussel would have had such a drop off in effectiveness? Most of his FA signings have been stopgap measures to help insulate the youth during the rebuild of the team. Some have been effective, some have been painful. If I was to guess, probably pretty much on average with most GMs in the league.

Sutter, Gud and Sbeejus were acquired via trade. Probably his worst trades though he turned Gud into Pearson which I am happy with. 

Didn't we trade someone for a 5th pick that got us Gaudette?

Shame that Gudbranson didn't work out, although I think if he was Edler's primary d-partner, he'd still be here. Was very effective with Edler as a partner.

• Huggy Bear 1

Stecher has been our worst dman all year except for the Boston game. i know the guy tries hard and all but at the end of the day you can't keep fishing the puck out of your own net over and over again and expect a big raise this summer. I doubt he will be on any NHL roster next season. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team has the capability and potential to be dangerous now. Seeing them manhandle Boston a couple of weeks ago proves that.

Still livid at Stecher for being too cute receiving the pass from Edler. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think most NHL teams want to do that as well (which is the other part of the problem).

Donnie Brasco "It's 5000 wiseguys all chasing the same nickel".

Yep. The speed and skill mantra has had to move over and make some space for the size still matters mantra.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We have some key pieces in place to build around. Bo , Petey , Hughes , Beoser , Virtanen are all very solid young players to build with moving forward. We have some reel solid youth in our system. I think fans are a little unrealistic to where this team is. I personally think that they have been playing above their true weight level. A few injuries to key players is all it took.

They have been giving up close to 40 shots all year. Markstrom has clearly been sensational. Jims job is clearly not over and this off season will be huge. Can they clear enough cap  space to keep Tyler? Will he even resign? Can he beef up the defense a little more? Will they bring back Tryamkin and is he a true NHL level player? Lets face the facts, this is clearly a young team that has shown it's fans some big time hope for the future.

IF we miss the playoffs it would be a prime year to break the curse and win the lottery.

I said at the beginning of the year we were a bubble team and I'd be equally happy to get in to the playoffs and get the boys some playoff experience or just miss and sacrifice a hockey jersey to a volcano or something to let us finally be the team to jump up from a 10-15 pick to a top 3 pick :lol:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It’s hard not to like their chances, but they also keep wetting the bed and melting down at the worst of times.

I’ve heard all about it on here that this inconsistency is due to their youth, but really, their youth has been consistent enough that this excuse is just that, an excuse. 

They are so close to being a good team. 

What is their problem?

Coaching?

Skill?

Desire?

Leadership? 
Injuries?
Game management?

I don’t think the Canucks have much they can blame their issues on other than desire., which is partly an aspect of leadership. They don’t seem to want it enough, but if they ever flip that switch they could do some damage in the playoffs. 

I’ll give credit to JB for trying to build a roster with a spine and some will, but I’m not sure the results are there. If they come up short this year, his cap team is going to be difficult to defend. At least it’s only Aqua man who he has to answer too, the guy who signed a bunch of blank cheques this summer for impact UFAs.

Benning is going to need some more hair dye if they can’t get going here. 

• Vintage 2

39 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

The problem is these fragile people actually BELIEVE they know how to run and coach the team. Thrs a large percentage of this delusional fanbase that are just f’n embarrassing and I can’t stand. But cheers to u and all the other solid supportive fans out thr.

This fanbase doesn't need lectures from other posters.  :frantic:

• Upvote 2