The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller trade and the 1st round pick

Rate this topic

HOFsedins

Had a question and didn't see a topic for it anywhere so I thought I would ask you guys.

Since the season has been put on pause and could potentially be cancelled, what would happen with the conditional 1st we traded for Miller? If the season is cancelled, would that mean our 1st automatically is given up next season? If so I find that unfair and there should be a loophole around that trade to prolong it for another 2 seasons. Technically the season would be lost with no playoffs so you can't base it off of our current positions.

On the other hand, I hope everyone comes together and just take precautions regarding the coronavirus. It will take everyone's cooperation to be alert and awareness to stop it from spreading.

Just guessing, but if Vancouver was deemed to be in a playoff position at the time of outright cancellation, then they would have made the playoffs and would therefore lose the first round pick. That would seem logical to me. Other ideas? Anybody?

• Cheers 2

Depends on how the NHL decides who gets into the playoffs. Though I'm thinking it unlikely the playoffs happen at all. It's gonna be one of those weird things the NHL will have to rule on if the season doesn't start up again. 

Assuming the season is outright done and no playoffs or Stanley Cup is awarded for 2020, then I think the easiest, most likely, and dumbest thing is for the league to make the ruling that we didn't make the playoffs in 2020 (since there was no playoffs) so New Jersey (via Tampa) will get our 2021 first.

I hope that they extend the timing on the trade to be for 2021 and 2022 but since I don't believe the league extended contracts a year when the 2004-05 lockout happened, they likely won't do that here.

If the season is cancelled, and hence we are unable to determine who qualified for the playoffs, my guess is that the NHL will operate as if though 2019-20 season did not happen at all (the player stats will remain I guess). And so, any conditional draft picks traded will shift by one year.

For example, Canucks 1st round pick that NJD owns is conditional on Canucks making the playoffs in 2020-21 season, that is, NJD gets Vancouver's 2021 1st rounder if the Canucks make the playoffs in 2021 otherwise they get Vancouver's 2022 1st rounder. 

But I think the NHL will do their best to find a way to resume the season.

I think the answer is no one has any idea  because it will be based on what happens with the season.

We don’t have enough of a handle on any of the variables yet to even guess.

This is so far down the list of their concerns at the moment, no one would have considered it.

It will be individual one off decisions by the league on a bunch of these issues.  Rest assured it won’t benefit the Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

If the season is canceled the owners would have to come up with who qualified as a playoff team.  For the purposes of conditional picks, and more importantly draft positioning. The draft will still happen, so seeding will have to be determined.  We could technically make the playoffs, but not actually get to play in them.  

• Like 1

lol the more likely scenario is the team will have the option of either giving up this years 1st rounder or next year 1st rounder.. i mean might as well give up this years since it's gonna be middle of the pack and unlikely lottery eligible.. unless we think the canucks all of a sudden is going to be a powerhouse and next years 1st is in the late 20s lol

• Cheers 1

This is an interesting topic.

If no playoff this year, that is, Canucks could not get the playoff and keep the draft 2021, but loss 2022.

However, I guess finally there will be negotiation between two teams for Canucks keep which year's draft.

I'd be ok surrendering the pick this year regardless.  Too many variables surrounding Marky and if this team doesn't get elite goaltending next year a lottery standing finish isn't out of the question.  Confused emojis!

• Cheers 1

I think it could be quite a while before they allow thousands of people back into arenas, not sure we'll see hockey in the near future. I think this could be another 1919 where they don't award the Cup, no playoffs.  The 2020/21 regular season might also be "paused", we don't know. As for our 1st, I think they defer to next year (2021 Draft), but the Canucks will make the 2021/22 playoffs, and win. 

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Honestly.. that pick isn't that big of a deal, JT Miller essentially moved everyone except his linemates down a notch at forward so in reality we didn't really loose anything especially since D is now our main concern and already there's going to be a fight on for D spots with Woo OJ Train Rafferty all pushing I doubt we'll need help there but we could trade a forward for a D if all else fails but we'll see..

A player like JT who could walk right in and move everyone except whose on his line down a notch which is past phenomenal!  

Anyway, at the end of the day it's not forward but D where a roster spot is really needed with a pick if anything but with Woo OJ Train and Rafferty pushing I think we're fine really. 

One of the best trades ever, that was sooooo worth it, night after night he's been a huge impact on most games and won some almost on his own... Ones that we probably would have lost had he been the average player.. 

I was hoping for big things from him when he showed up but he's sooooo past! 

And don't even get me started on TT lol 

I couldn't believe it, was a fist pump moment because I remember nights when he played against us every time he jumped over the boards and I heard the play by play announcer said his name, I cringed and hoped he wouldn't score, I hated the dreaded "Tyler Tofolli" show he'd put on and almost destroy us single handedly.

So the future is looking pretty bright, that pick would have been nice but not as nice as JT Miller scoring a shoot out winning goal plus all the other ones that have him in the nhl top 20 scoring list.

I agree with you and when trade was made I knew we had to give up something to get player like Miller..

But The Miller trade has been the best, makes team so much better and works with young guys like Jake and Pettersson...

I say sign Taffoli 4 yrs x 5 million..

Then trade Boser for top #2 D man....Like  NJ Devils, Damon Severson 25, 6'2 solid D man and 3rd rounder.

Have to give up something good for a good D man.

Team has to sign a top young 2 way D man this summer in trade..

Cant't resign Tanev always hurt and he will want 5 million, 30 years old....

Must trade for top #2 two way D man----Big hole next season without Tanev ..

Edited by wildcam

I don't think they will cancel the season. If this started at the 10 or 15 game mark, then maybe, but we were at roughly 70 games across the league.

Depending on how long this goes for, I think the following is the options that the league is considering.

#1. Resume play but trim schedule to 74 - 76 game season

#2. Trim first 2 or 3 rounds to 5 game series.

#3. Move the draft back into July or even August

#4. Negotiate with NHLPA to unilaterally move UFA for this season only to either July 31st or Aug 15th.

I think these are most likely what's being considered.

Some ideas put forth by SN650 with Brian Burke (I think)...

• A few more games to get at all teams at same games played (72 or 74 gp).
  • expanded playoff teams to include more teams on the bubble of the wild card spots (ie. 24 teams in the playoffs).
  • shortened rounds (best of 3 or 5....probably best of 7 for finals).
  • back to back games to reduce travel

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Some ideas put forth by SN650 with Brian Burke (I think)...

• A few more games to get at all teams at same games played (72 or 74 gp).
  • expanded playoff teams to include more teams on the bubble of the wild card spots (ie. 24 teams in the playoffs).
  • shortened rounds (best of 3 or 5....probably best of 7 for finals).
  • back to back games to reduce travel

If it's a situation where the stadium will be empty anyways, why not just play the whole series in one building? Eliminates most of the travel for everyone. Give home team advantage (last change) per regular rules.

• Upvote 1