The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes loses Calder

Rate this topic

grandmaster

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Seems like a pretty solid victory by Makar.  More than twice as many 1st place votes.

Who’s the homer that voted Fox as number one?  Ha ha.   Seems about right to me,  no complaints.   Which team was still alive again - COL or VAN? Both the voting for the Calder and the voting for GM of the year would have looked a lot better had they done it after  the post season.   Calder is probably to the toughest trophy to win - but it also doesn’t mean as much as people might think.   Go back and see who was on some of the lists way down and who turns  out to be the best player over the years .  Yes sometimes it’s the Calder winner but more often then not by quite a margin it’s not.   Usually the Calder finalists all turn into very good players - almost always - so will take the win and move on. 

16 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Haha come on guys, Makar was just as good as Quinn.   Robbed :rolleyes:

the way i look  at it is Hughes was played on all four lines to help the lines out, Makar played solely with MacKinnon,  who helped their team the most and that would be Hughes, but its done and i am sure Hughes will keep making history he is that good!

• Wat 3

14 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

if quinn hughes was a Leaf he is a unanimous Calder winner 

I get the fun ribbing to TO fans and their universe - but that’s not how this works. Writers from all over vote and they all cover their teams in each NHL city and places that have more then one team in their state or province.    Pro hockey association writers are evenly distributed all over the place not just Ontario. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Also, for those upset at this...We have 2 calder winning players on the team right now and 2 more nominated sooooo

2 winners?  Hmmm.  Bure was awhile ago. 

Three finalists in a row.    Can’t remember a team that’s done that before - but maybe I’m not paying enough attention. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

2 winners?  Hmmm.  Bure was awhile ago. 

Three finalists in a row.    Can’t remember a team that’s done that before - but maybe I’m not paying enough attention. 

1 minute ago, Thirston said:

Who’s the second? 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Right now, in our lineup

Tyler Myers won the Calder as a rookee

This guy gets it.  

Some times winning the calder isn't the end all be all

12 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Two excellent players and I feel Quinn was not robbed, either was a worthy winner. 

What has me stumped is voting.

2020 Calder Trophy voting (1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th)

1. Cale Makar, COL 1,538 (116-54-0-0-0)

2. Quinn Hughes, VAN 1,337 (53-111-6-0-0)

3. Dominik Kubalik, CHI   554 (0-2-75-48-21)

4. Adam Fox, NYR 430 (1-1-45-52-32)

5. Elvis Merzlikins, CBJ 215 (0-1-17-32-27)

6. Mackenzie Blackwood, NJD 164 (0-1-16-15-32)

7. Victor Olofsson, BUF   96 (0-0-5-14-29)

8. John Marino, PIT 53 (0-0-4-5-18)

9. Nick Suzuki, MTL 17 (0-0-1-2-6)

10. Ethan Bear, EDM 9 (0-0-1-1-1)

11. Denis Gurianov, DAL   4 (0-0-0-1-1)

12. Ilya Samsonov, WSH 2 (0-0-0-0-2)

13. Matt Roy, LAK 1 (0-0-0-0-1)

The four votes I have highlighted in red....the people who made those votes should NEVER be allowed to vote again, obviously have no idea about the game. Adam Fox better than both Hughes and Makar ( what were they drunk for the last nine months???) Merzlikins and Blackwood better than either Makar or Hughes???? wow these people are out to lunch. 

I can understand the votes for Kubalik but the other three just make me wonder whats going on!!!!

Agreed.  How anyone would put Fox, Merzlikins, or Blackwood ahead of these 2 shows an incredible lack of understanding of how incredible it is for undersized 20 and 21 year old defensemen to be key contributors in the nhl.  

I think if you asked any GM who they would want on this list, Hughes would be first.  He is the youngest at 20.  9 of these guys are 3-6 years older than Quinn.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Agreed.  How anyone would put Fox, Merzlikins, or Blackwood ahead of these 2 shows an incredible lack of understanding of how incredible it is for undersized 20 and 21 year old defensemen to be key contributors in the nhl.  

I think if you asked any GM who they would want on this list, Hughes would be first.  He is the youngest at 20.  9 of these guys are 3-6 years older than Quinn.

I have heard the radio guys ask a lot of their guests who they would want out of the three young elite D and every one of them said Makar, even the ones who said they would have voted for Hughes as the Calder winner this year.

We don't have to get upset that there are other great young players out there or that it minimizes the fact Hughes is already the best defenceman that has ever been on the team.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1