The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

The eye test certainly says he's better, but.......

2017-18 Vancouver Canucks NHL 60 3 4 3414 154 0 2 2.71 23 26 7 1591 0.912      
2018-19 Vancouver Canucks NHL 29 1 0 1754 82 0 0 2.80 16 10 3 827 0.910  

If his December stats are a signal for progression, he is far better.  9.40 I think it was.  We'll see if this is a temporary 'blip' or a statement of his development.

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

The eye test certainly says he's better, but.......

2017-18 Vancouver Canucks NHL 60 3 4 3414 154 0 2 2.71 23 26 7 1591 0.912      
2018-19 Vancouver Canucks NHL 29 1 0 1754 82 0 0 2.80 16 10 3 827 0.910  

A few games earlier in the year really tanked his stats at the start. I'm going on eye test with that.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I just hope that he can carry the play from December into the New Year. Marky has shown he can play at an elite level, now the question is whether he can carry it through the rest of the season. I also expect him to play a lot more after the stinker that Nilsson showed us yesterday.

Was it Barkov that got that shot off early in the 3rd? Maybe Bujstad? Glove side, low and Marky gloved it. That was something. Meanwhile Lou has to take 2 shots off the mask. Markstrom seems to have turned the corner. Glad for him, he has paid his dues.  

27 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Jawn Jang‏ @jawnjang

Jacob Markstrom's numbers since December 6th rank him among the NHL's best.

11-3-2, .927 SV% with a 2.11 GAA.

Only Marc-Andre Fleury has more wins (12) in that same stretch. #Canucks

thats nutty. I guess I owe @aGENT a coke. Happy to be wrong on this one, but I don't think even his supporters saw these numbers coming. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats nutty. I guess I owe @aGENT a coke. Happy to be wrong on this one, but I don't think even his supporters saw these numbers coming. 

I don't drink pop. Chemical garbage. Don't put that crap in your body Jimmy.

I will happily except a nice craft brew, glass of red or moderately priced scotch though ::D

• Cheers 1

Marky has been great for most of this season (and really a lot of last year, too), but a fellow goaltender will note a major change in his play after switching to CCM gear (less than a month ago).

His pads are narrower, less blocky - a more traditional style. He's got an entirely different break with his glove too, he's catching everything now. 

He looks less intimidating in net, but his equipment seems more true-to-size. He's a lot more fluid and natural in his movements. 

Thatcher Demko also wears smaller, more streamlined gear than he could.

It's a page of out Marty Brodeur's book.

Worked pretty well for him.

• Cheers 2

On 1/21/2019 at 1:43 PM, nergish said:

Marky has been great for most of this season (and really a lot of last year, too), but a fellow goaltender will note a major change in his play after switching to CCM gear (less than a month ago).

His pads are narrower, less blocky - a more traditional style. He's got an entirely different break with his glove too, he's catching everything now. 

He looks less intimidating in net, but his equipment seems more true-to-size. He's a lot more fluid and natural in his movements. 

Thatcher Demko also wears smaller, more streamlined gear than he could.

It's a page of out Marty Brodeur's book.

Worked pretty well for him.

As a fellow goalie, I noticed the same thing. Also thought the Bauer's looked a bit blocky on him, and that they sat on his skate sort of awkwardly. I've read somewhere that Marky isn't much of a gear nerd, he just goes with what works. I wonder if the switch was at Ian Clark's behest? 

Edited by Lafayettecrossbar
  • Upvote 3

Personally I think a lot of Markstroms success this year is due to the Canucks bringing back goaltending coach Ian Clark, and not allowing Cloutier to be the goaltending coach anymore. Last year was tough watching Markstrom play because I consistently felt like I was seeing another Cloutier in net, and did not like that style in Markstrom one bit, it's like he was playing smaller then he was it was weird. But I believe having Ian Clark as the goaltending coach and not Cloutier has made a huge change in Markstroms game this year, he's actually showing consistency now in his game which he never had before. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Personally I think a lot of Markstroms success this year is due to the Canucks bringing back goaltending coach Ian Clark, and not allowing Cloutier to be the goaltending coach anymore. Last year was tough watching Markstrom play because I consistently felt like I was seeing another Cloutier in net, and did not like that style in Markstrom one bit, it's like he was playing smaller then he was it was weird. But I believe having Ian Clark as the goaltending coach and not Cloutier has made a huge change in Markstroms game this year, he's actually showing consistency now in his game which he never had before. 

People tend to forget that Marky was on fire at the end of last year too, while he was under Cloutier's coaching. Over the last 19 games, he had a .921 save percentage.

For all the praise he's gotten, Marky's current last 19 games are at a .919 save percentage, so he's actually not doing anything we haven't seen from him already under Cloutier.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

People tend to forget that Marky was on fire at the end of last year too, while he was under Cloutier's coaching. Over the last 19 games, he had a .921 save percentage.

For all the praise he's gotten, Marky's current last 19 games are at a .919 save percentage, so he's actually not doing anything we haven't seen from him already under Cloutier.

Is marky letting in the weak goals at bad times still though?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is marky letting in the weak goals at bad times still though?

Not as much, but perhaps he's letting in goals at other times instead? That or perhaps his defense is just worse this year maybe, if that's even possible.

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Better roster in front of you (when healthy anyway) will do that ;)

• Cheers 1

On 11/23/2018 at 12:17 PM, aGENT said:

I seriously don't get people. It's like, well his stats aren't top 10, clearly not a starter :picard:

Now by no means does this mean I think he's the 2nd coming of Roy or something but come on.

Totally agree with you.

When you are a league with more than 30 teams and you are one that is rebuilding and your stats are remotely close to the top 20 - sorry, you are a starter.    

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1