The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Markstrom will be better than Lack in the NHL, he’s already better than him, in term of development , than when Lack was at Markstrom’s age.

I think so as well...just poking fun of all the people who post garbage like that. Assuming his entire NHL career will be no better than the one bad start he had this season.

Then there's the equally insightful stuff like: "Lack hasn't proven he can hold the starter spot."

I'd like to see a little more progress, or at least have him look more comfortable in his NHL play by this point. I wouldn't be worried if he wasn't winning games, but for all the projections he's had and what we have seen in lower levels I have a little trouble with just how much of a disconnect it seems to be when he plays in the NHL.

Maybe it's all mental, and he's a good goalie, but I'm not in a rush to say he is and will be batter than Lack until he proves a little more. And that's coming from one of the people who were on board with a Lack/Markstrom combo last summer instead of signing Miller.

If this report is true, they are making room for Marky. http://frozenfutures.com/2015/05/31/canucks-seeking-second-rounder-for-lack/

The Ottawa Sun and Bruce Garrioch, however, which is what they base that speculation on, is one of the worst pseudo sources out there. The Canucks 'could' seek a 2nd for Lack - weak.

They 'could' seek a pick for Miller as well. ;)

Edited by oldnews

I know it's highly unlikely but what about trading Miller to SJ and going with a Markstrom Lack tandem and ride the hot hand? Play one goalie consecutively until they lose.

We save miller's cap hit as well as pick up a late first or early second as well as getting younger

I know it's highly unlikely but what about trading Miller to SJ and going with a Markstrom Lack tandem and ride the hot hand? Play one goalie consecutively until they lose.

We save miller's cap hit as well as pick up a late first or early second as well as getting younger

That's what a lot of us are hoping for.

That's what a lot of us are hoping for.

I'd just hope that before making such a gamble Trader Jim would give Jacob a series of NHL starts against stronger competition to truly prove his top-level potential, since betting on AHL stardom could lead to us having our own Justin Pogge (successful in lower levels but unable to cut it in the big leagues) and trading Lack too early could leave us without a capable NHL backup to bail Ryan out on his off nights. Jacob still needs to prove he's really capable, after 50 games of experience, instead of having the job handed to him when he's dominated in a top developmental league, since NHL players are ultimately much better than AHL guys. Case in point, his first start last season, when he let three of the four shots he faced go in against San Jose, should at least raise some eyebrows about his ability to play in the NHL.

Another thing, since NHL teams often play back-to-back's there's quite the likelihood that he'd have to take on a tough team behind his own tired team from time to time, and you can't always expect the starter to come in and bail you out like he did in San Jose. What's more, what would we do if Lack gets injured (presuming Miller's traded) and Jacob has to come in, but he gets shellacked? Who will step in and stop the bleeding then, if he's not ready?

Ultimately, until I see an NHL-level Ben Bishop in Markstrom I wouldn't be sold solely on his potential to reach that elite level. Call me conservative but until that time I hope we keep Lack, since he's really not much older than Jacob but we at least know what we've got.

Edited by Phil_314

The team Markstrom has in front of him now is way better than Lacks teams in the A

The team Schneider had in front of him at the NHL level was way better than the team Lack had. Schneider got traded for a 9th overall pick.

I'd just hope that before making such a gamble Trader Jim would give Jacob a series of NHL starts against stronger competition to truly prove his top-level potential, since betting on AHL stardom could lead to us having our own Justin Pogge (successful in lower levels but unable to cut it in the big leagues) and trading Lack too early could leave us without a capable NHL backup to bail Ryan out on his off nights. Jacob still needs to prove he's really capable, after 50 games of experience, instead of having the job handed to him when he's dominated in a top developmental league, since NHL players are ultimately much better than AHL guys. Case in point, his first start last season, when he let three of the four shots he faced go in against San Jose, should at least raise some eyebrows about his ability to play in the NHL.

Another thing, since NHL teams often play back-to-back's there's quite the likelihood that he'd have to take on a tough team behind his own tired team from time to time, and you can't always expect the starter to come in and bail you out like he did in San Jose. What's more, what would we do if Lack gets injured (presuming Miller's traded) and Jacob has to come in, but he gets shellacked? Who will step in and stop the bleeding then, if he's not ready?

Ultimately, until I see an NHL-level Ben Bishop in Markstrom I wouldn't be sold solely on his potential to reach that elite level. Call me conservative but until that time I hope we keep Lack, since he's really not much older than Jacob but we at least know what we've got.

The thing about goalies is it's all mental. The skill set is there we just need to build his confidence at the NHL level. you don't do that by throwing him in games like the SJ game. You do it by starting him off in games like the ARZ game. We don't need him to take over next year. With Millers contract we have two years to groom him. Ease him in, and watch him become a top NHL goalie.

I understand why WD put Markstrom in against the Sharks, Lack just played two stinkers the 2 games prior, but it was not a good move to give him his first NHL start against a desperate hockey club. The time when we need him to do that will come just not yet.

A shutout last series to move on (came in game 7), a shut out again tonight to "move on." Talk about clutch goal tending. Even if he loses in the finals, he's already done everything he can to be given a shot at the NHL Level next year.

I recall, Cory Schneider's final year in the AHL , the Moose made it to the finals but lost in game 6 in O.T. Schneider was also lights out, during their playoff run.

Too late for that. By the time next season starts, either they roll with three goaltenders on the roster or they risk losing one for nothing. Someone will be traded in the off-season, likely at the draft as Benning already indicated.

I like Marks composure in this run, very calm and contained, except for maybe a couple of early forays out of his crease at the start of games. He's definitally making a statement for his bid to be with the big club next year.

A shutout last series to move on (came in game 7), a shut out again tonight to "move on." Talk about clutch goal tending. Even if he loses in the finals, he's already done everything he can to be given a shot at the NHL Level next year.

I recall, Cory Schneider's final year in the AHL , the Moose made it to the finals but lost in game 6 in O.T. Schneider was also lights out, during their playoff run.

Good comparison. And like Markstrom, Schneider also had some bad starts at the NHL before that Calder Cup run, although not as many. But it did take Cory a few years of being a top AHL goalie before he was ready for the NHL. It certainly looks as though Markstrom has it down mentally and technically at this point.