The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think it's between Gaunce and Kenins, as both can go down without waivers. Both have shown they should be on the team, although Kenins has a one-way contract so if all things are equal that could be the decider.

I thought Jensen outplayed Kenins, And he isnt even close to matching Gaunce, imo.

I think it's between Gaunce and Kenins, as both can go down without waivers. Both have shown they should be on the team, although Kenins has a one-way contract so if all things are equal that could be the decider.

Not considering the contract status, it should be Gaunce 100%.

Gaunce has size advantage and he is a smarter player... and he has a better shot. With improved skating, Gaunce is now better than or equal to Kenins in every aspect and he seems ready for the NHL.

Gaunce has size advantage and he is a smarter player... and he has a better shot. With improved skating, Gaunce is now better than or equal to Kenins in every aspect and he seems ready for the NHL.

I wouldn't say Gaunce is now better or equal in every aspect. Many sure... by not all.

I agree that Gaunce is/and will continue to be, the better player, but he doesn't have the physical/energy game of Kennins. They may end up sharing the Higgins spot, which imo, is not the greatest situation for either of them.

he did against the sharks did he not?

Yup.

Virtanen joins Hank 'n Dank vs. Coyotes tonight.

Cool to see but not sure if he's a good fit with them. He's more of a north/south type player and they need a guy with some real hockey sense.

In any case, good luck Jake and have fun!

Yeah, I'm still of the mind they're not a great match for play styles. But his speed can help push back defenders, making space for them and hopefully he can use his physical game to win puck battles and get them thew puck.

I'm not convinced he's had enough NHL coaching and playing time to know where to go with playing with them though. Hopefully he keeps it simple and goes to corners/boards for pucks and to the front of the net for screen/tip/rebounds.

Edited by J.R.

Personally I'd send Virtanen back to the WHL to get confidence and focus on his offensive game, I'd like to see what he could do points wise playing a full season. where he had a full summer to train, he is also going to be a lock for team Canada, but I think that letting him play top minutes in junior racking up a lot of points would earn him a greater role.

I do think he is NHL ready but I think some offensive seasoning would do wonders for him.

Personally I'd send Virtanen back to the WHL to get confidence and focus on his offensive game, I'd like to see what he could do points wise playing a full season. where he had a full summer to train, he is also going to be a lock for team Canada, but I think that letting him play top minutes in junior racking up a lot of points would earn him a greater role.

I do think he is NHL ready but I think some offensive seasoning would do wonders for him.

He can get 'offensive seasoning' at the WJC while learning the ropes in Van.