The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Whats your agenda bud? Your $#!T posting hard. Show me where pre draft you wanted anyone other than Jake. BC born PF the likes of which this franchise and fanbase was crying for.  Alf your really just running the worst kind of smear campaign and is sucks so hard. I get your disgruntled but try having some class. Its posters who offer no input other than criticism like you who are whats wrong with CDC and the Vancouver fanbase. Try supporting you team or at least posting something non biased and inflammatory. Jake was the BPA Ehlers and Joffrey(Nylander) were/are flimsy pushover lil B!Tc#e$ who would be getting crushed on our team against the pacific. Benning would have been Fired if he passed over Jake a kid everyone was screaming for. JB has replaced leadership in other ways Dors Sutter Gud. Virtanen was the right pick at the time even if hindsight doesn't agree.    

Just like Gaudreau is getting crushed in the Pacific?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Toews said:

Just like Gaudreau is getting crushed in the Pacific?

Im talking about the Canucks.. Where do we play those 2 on our line up and protect them. We don't have the top 6 toughness to support a Nylander/Ehlers. They get smothered on our team. If we had a heavy team like the Jets then yes Ehlers would have a ton of space to create especially if we had some high end talent to pair him with. As is stands we have the Sedins and captain D Zone start score off the rush. I doub't they succeed in van the way they are currently. That said I would still support them the way I am Virtanen.  

• Upvote 3

If anybody can fix Jake..it's Green..If this does not work out,I don't know what else to suggest..

Jakes game probably has to be deconstructed and built up again..Green seems optimistic,and we have to be patient.

I also believe that Green was instrumental in the decision to acquire Baertschi (he coached him in Junior),and the decision to unload Hunter Shinkaruk.

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

If anybody can fix Jake..it's Green..If this does not work out,I don't know what else to suggest..

Jakes game probably has to be deconstructed and built up again..Green seems optimistic,and we have to be patient.

I also believe that Green was instrumental in the decision to acquire Baertschi (he coached him in Junior),and the decision to unload Hunter Shinkaruk.

For sure JB would want Green's input on Shinkaruk.  

We all saw Jake play very effectively last year at this time for an extended period.  Then he went off the rails.  Who know why, but now it's concerning.

I think a good comparable to Virtanen right now would be Andrew Ladd

Ladd also started off his career very slow. Much slower than Virtanen's and he was a former 4th overall pick. Never dominated in junior, in fact, had a terrible post draft year. Didn't start producing until his +5 draft year after being traded and even still continued to struggle with consistency. It wasn't until his mid 20's did Ladd start producing consistently. 

• Upvote 2

I doubt Jake can be fixed.  Very low hockey IQ can't be fixed.

Maybe he can modify his game to be able to be a third liner who pots a goal once in awhile, and plays physical.

I could be wrong of course.  But the fact he can't score in the AHL says I am not.

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

Ladd also started off his career very slow. Much slower than Virtanen's and he was a former 4th overall pick. Never dominated in junior, in fact, had a terrible post draft year. Didn't start producing until his +5 draft year after being traded and even still continued to struggle with consistency. It wasn't until his mid 20's did Ladd start producing consistently. 

um why look at ladd

he was never part of this organization

review bertuzzi's history . he is a power forward as well

and was traded before he hit his stride

it is a fairly common suggestion

that dmen take longer to develop

power forwards take longer to develop

and goalies take even longer to develop

so what describes virt best?

mmmmmm?

so give him time

patience people

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

The point is a lot of the best players actually show signs of being special before 20.  Jake had that 20 games last season, right about now, where he did show he could dominate shifts.  He's regressed since then, which is a real shame.  

More of  a product of his environment Alf...just like you...You were slaying pussy when you first got to Earth and then you moved in with that family and got soft.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Some guys are late bloomers? List some names. 

Not sure if this is a serious question. But here some names of classic late bloomers (forwards only, D's in general develop later):

1. Dustin Penner -- had a good year in the AHL at age 23 followed by five years scoring at a solid second line level. And he came up big in LA's 2012 Cup victory.

2. Matt Moulsen -- had good years in the AHL in his draft+4 and draft+5 and draft +6 years, then had three 30-goal seasons in a row in the NHL. 

3. Martin St. Louis -- did not break through until age 25 with Tampa, then had a great career.

4. We all know about Alex Burrows.

Of course Penner, Moulsen and Burrows were not real "stars", but they were valuable players and we would be delighted to get that level of performance from Virtanen.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

The point is a lot of the best players actually show signs of being special before 20.  Jake had that 20 games last season, right about now, where he did show he could dominate shifts.  He's regressed since then, which is a real shame.  

Alf is right. Despite the fact that some guys are late bloomers (as with the examples listed above), genuine future stars almost always show something significant by their draft+3 year, at least at the AHL level. A few make the NHL in their draft+1 year and put up decent numbers. The others usually put up big numbers in Junior or college. Quite a few do well in the NHL in their  draft+2 years. And these real stars almost always make good progress in the draft+1, draft+2 and draft+3 years and can play well at the NHL level by their draft+3 years. We can think of players in this category from the last few drafts: Mathews, Laine, McDavid, Draisaitl, Ehlers, Nylander, Bennett, Reinhart, Larkin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Monahan, etc.  Those guys are mostly higher picks than Virtanen of course. The point is that future stars usually do show something early in their careers.

The chances of Virtanen being a future star or even a future legitimate first liner are low based on his development so far. But he could still become a very useful player at the NHL level. 

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

At least now he is consistently getting a few shots on goal each game.  That's a start

I noticed the same thing, VIrtanen is getting shots on goals. He is also not getting many goals scored against him. He just needs to keep his head down, stay out of the limelight, work hard, and we will see what happens. I am not all that optimistic but he could still develop into a legitimate top 6 NHL forward. I think it is fairly likely that he can at least develop into a useful bottom 6 player at the NHL level.

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

I agree that Ladd is another late bloomer who might be a good comparison.

14 hours ago, Odd. said:

Hmm... Played for the Hitman as well. Won a CUP with the Hawks. Sounds good.

I see Virtanen as a solid 3rd liner if Green can reground his game into a solid defender with a physical side. Jake's much vaunted physical game is not a regular part of his play from what I can see. Some have questioned his shoulder and I am doing the same. He has great speed and if his defensive game is solid he could be a real threat off his wing. I have complete confidence that Green can coach him in this direction.

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

The chances of Virtanen being a future star or even a future legitimate first liner are low based on his development so far.

I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with this being the case? Who was honestly expecting that from a 6th overall? !

At 6th overall you hope for a solid top 9 player. If you manage a legit 'star', it's considered pretty damn lucky. 

I'd say anyone expecting something like an 'Ovie' says a lot more about this fanbase's out of whack expectations than it does about Virtanen or his somewhat rocky development path so far. 

There's nothing wrong with him eventually developing in to a big, fast, tough and complimentary offense guy which is still easily within reach with some good development the next 2-3 years. 

It may not be as 'sexy' as a smaller, slick sniper but those guys can and do help win cups. 

• Upvote 1