The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Exactly. And the two year deal is telling. If he truly wanted to make a go ANYWHERE in the NHL he could have requested we trade his rights or only signed for one year and then be a UFA next year.

Clearly content being a HUGE fish in a smaller pond.

Right and it's clear evidence that he does not have the drive to make it in the NHL which was a knock on him by a lot of Canuck fans.  Jury is back in on that point.

• Cheers 4

These headlines kill me.  

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-nikita-tryamkins-decision-to-take-khl-deal-dripping-in-drama?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1619996879

Canucks: Nikita Tryamkin's decision to take KHL deal dripping in drama

'We were prepared to pay Nikita what he was asking for, but my understanding is that his decision in the end was based on wanting to stay in Russia, rather than play in the NHL.' — Canucks general manager Jim Benning.

Author of the article:
Ben Kuzma
Publishing date:
May 02, 2021  •  3 hours ago  •  4 minute read  •   Join the conversation

Towering defenceman Nikita Tryamkin has signed a new three-year contract with Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg

Towering defenceman Nikita Tryamkin has signed a new three-year contract with Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg PHOTO BY GERRY KAHRMANN /PNG

It’s always been a numbers game with the intriguing Nikita Tryamkin.

How would his 6-foot-7 frame and improved fitness translate to today’s fast-paced NHL, especially if the defenceman was to return to the Vancouver Canucks next season after the expiration of his KHL contact? (Cont'd.)

• Cheers 1

I’m gonna guess Diamond and Tryamkin used leaving to Vancouver as leverage to get a better contract in Russia.  
He has never had any real intention in coming back to Van.  

He got his money and 3 year deal, and gets to stay home where he wants to be.  

Good Riddance 

• Cheers 3

Another reason to fire Benning.

How he lets Tryamkin go because of a few hundred thousand difference in asking/offered is beyond me.

This team is desperate for a decent defense and Benning just threw away an easy opportunity to shore it up.

Benning has squandered more dollars on stupid projects than Tryamkin was asking multiple times in the last few years... but when he has a chance to do something smart he blows it.

Really looking forward to Benning get the boot.

He is damaging this franchise.

• Cheers 1

I felt oddly relieved when I woke up to the news this morning. :lol: Like many on here, I'm just glad that we're through with this saga. Also helps that we didn't sign another terrible contract.

The 2014 draft has to be one of the more polarizing Canucks drafts in recent memory. Sheesh, what a weekend...

• Cheers 2

Pretty sad how entitled people are.

Imagine hating a guy because he wants to stay in his home country and raise his family at home and not ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD.

Anyone saying anything negative Is a pos IMO.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

It was going to end one way or another..........and I am ok with that......time to move on!

I do however think  that things keep rolling out of control, in regards to contracts with JB...........It is becoming a little bit of a repetitive thing.........kind of make you wonder what is up?

Is it JB or is it Aqualini................and I am talking about the big picture and not Tryamkin

If it is JB............it will be another nail in the coffin, if not, it will start to point towards Aqualini...........

2 hours ago, gurn said:

If it is an actual quote from Jim, I believe him.

Benning: we were prepared to offer Tryamkin what he was asking for, the decision came down to his desire to stay in Russia.

Apparently it was neither JB nor Aquilini and it doesn't look like Benning was trying to go cheap on Tryamkin (which fits with his history).  The story about using the threat of fleeing to the big bucks of the NHL as leverage with his present team makes sense.   That his wife hated living in Vancouver (even though there is a sizeable Russian community in the lower mainland....there is even a Russian language newspaper and several clubs.....a Russian co-worker of mine told me there were north of 100,000 Russians here....this was 4 years ago) fits as well.  This hasn't changed.  Maybe family reasons?

He would be marginal in this league anyways.  Let's put this crap behind us.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1