The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

33 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Nope.   For as long as posters continue to whine about Toffoli being Benning's biggest mistake, others will claim his letting Tryamkin escape is just as egregious 

Seems weird to focus on Tryamkin when so many, far more egregious mistakes have been made.

24 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And people got on Gillis' case for not drafting Russians.  And this was during the time, the KHL could pay wages competitive with the NHL (when oil prices were sky high).  It's a real risk a player would rather play at home (and if I were them, I'd be inclined to feel the same way).

I can only assume that his team stepped up and with our flat cap we couldn't offer much for a player who doesn't even dominate the KHL.  

It would be interesting to see how Brisebois, Sautner, and Rafferty would do over there.  I bet the would in the be top d pairings for a number of KHL teams.

Another ship from the 2014 draft has sailed.  Gotta figure any money Benning was offering was less than previously, when Tryamkin went back to Russia.  Not at all sure where he'd fit on our depth chart these days.  So it's too bad, but I'm still looking forward to a left side of Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I can only assume that his team stepped up and with our flat cap we couldn't offer much for a player who doesn't even dominate the KHL.  

It would be interesting to see how Brisebois, Sautner, and Rafferty would do over there.  I bet the would in the be top d pairings for a number of KHL teams.

Fantenberg was a stud for St Petersburg.  We should never have let him go

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Seriously though, obviously the guy isn't committed to making it work at the NHL level. &^@# him.

Silver lining, it sure simplifies our decisions on the back end next year.

That latter part, for sure.  When he bailed on us the first time, he was a middle-pairing D offered around 3 mil, now he'd struggle to make the bottom pair and probably wasn't offered any more than he'd make in the K.  Likely the best thing for all parties was what just happened.

17 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Bryon Ritchie led his team MODO in scoring in the SEL not long after leaving us.:lol:

15 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

The guy whined and complained,  he never wanted to come back only his agent did.

If you are a 6'7 230+  defenseman and whining about being physical,  you don't deserve to be in the NHL. 

Total speculation

We may never know the full story. Tryamkin is a prima donna or Benning ran out of time trying to sign a free agent again.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Regardless, good riddance to this saga.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I guarantee Benning gave no thought to this prior to the trade deadline. Let’s be serious here, this decision and negotiation could have been made while he still had the option to trade his rights to a more suitable NHL team. I think Tryamkin is a giant drama Queen who probably had unrealistic demands, but at the same time, this should have been known for quite some time. It always seems like he runs into these sudden surprises completely unprepared. This is what happens when you’re a GM who focuses on the day you woke up to. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I guarantee Benning gave no thought to this prior to the trade deadline. Let’s be serious here, this decision and negotiation could have been made while he still had the option to trade his rights to a more suitable NHL team. I think Tryamkin is a giant drama Queen who probably had unrealistic demands, but at the same time, this should have been known for quite some time. It always seems like he runs into these sudden surprises completely unprepared. This is what happens when you’re a GM who focuses on the day you woke up to. 

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

• Haha 1

That makes it clear to me that we didn't want to get involved with him.  I will bet you the money the Canucks were offering was way less then the big guy wanted.   

This is a good sign that old Jimbo is starting to clue in to the importance of managing your cap space. You can't be throwing a guy like Tryamkin 3 to 4 mil with a lengthy  term.  I would rather keep Hamonic.

1.5 to 2 mil tops for Tryamkin. No more than two years. He can get close to that at home.    

• Cheers 1