The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think the two actually have very similar games. Both are famously north-south style players, though I don't think Podkolzin is as fast as Virtanen--few are. I suspect Podkolzin may have better hands though.

Still, it's all speculative when it comes to Vasili right now. He's a prospect with 0 NHL games and Jake is a pretty certain thing at this point. It would be foolish to trade Virtanen on the assumption that Podkolzin works out.

Yup, doesn't have his top end speed but I'd say he's got a better motor, hands, work ethic and defensive/two way play at the same age. 

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think the two actually have very similar games. Both are famously north-south style players, though I don't think Podkolzin is as fast as Virtanen--few are. I suspect Podkolzin may have better hands though.

Still, it's all speculative when it comes to Vasili right now. He's a prospect with 0 NHL games and Jake is a pretty certain thing at this point. It would be foolish to trade Virtanen on the assumption that Podkolzin works out.

I don't know if it's better hands, but I think his vision/hockey IQ is better and thus reads plays better. This, IMO, is what makes him good defensively already plus be able to feed nice passes into soft areas where players fly into.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:34 PM, wildcam said:

I disagree with you,I went to 5 live games and watched most games on TV..Of course Boser can win puck battles but inconsistent .... 

OMG please Miller is way stronger then Boser and bigger and stronger to play along the way....

Boser is a goal scorer and very natural.... He like many player don't play a complete 200 foot game? 

All I was trying to get across if we need to make a trade a top 4 forward to get that top end D man other team will want top forward back???

It won't be Petey,Horvat, Miller? Everyone thinks we can keep everyone but that will not be possible......

first of all it is Boeser not Boser.  we won't be trading Boeser either as per  Benning, he really likes him. did you happen to be at the game this year when Boeser came back from injury and he got a standing o from the crowd?  ya it was quite something. the fans love him. 

On 5/3/2020 at 12:18 PM, DeNiro said:

BOESER is actually strong along the boards and his two way game has improved quite a bit. I don’t think you were watching him very closely this season.

There were many plays where he was the first one on the puck digging it out to Petey or Miller.

Either way I don’t think it has to be Boeser vs Toffoli. We should be trying to keep both and dumping cap in redundant players like Sutter, Eriksson, Benn, and Roussel. These players can be replaced by our depth much easier than the 60+ goals that Toffoli and Boeser bring.

As far as I'm concerned, the Flow is a keeper. Yes. He has had injury issues;  personal setbacks that may, or may not have affect this short season. Nevertheless........

.....We can't forget his rookie season success. Dude made good as an All Star for our team and was MPV as such that weekend. How many hat tricks has he got!!!!!!

Anywho.......................

I like the aforementioned redundant players. But we do have to rid ourselves of contracts that will hinder our future for a cup running team. An impactful free agent or two, hopefully a stud D-man, would do wonders. 

What's coming out in our prospect pool is very promising. And though it's not known if one or two of them can be impactful right away, at the very least we can be assured that we'll have depth for a SC playoff run.

41 minutes ago, bree2 said:

first of all it is Boeser not Boser.  we won't be trading Boeser either as per  Benning, he really likes him. did you happen to be at the game this year when Boeser came back from injury and he got a standing o from the crowd?  ya it was quite something. the fans love him. 

OMG, So sorry on spelling of Boeser...Well at some point one of the top 5 forwards will be traded for top # 2 D man?

Its call position of strength, any hockey person will tell you this?Vancouver is strong in goal and decent in forward position..

The defence is there weak spot....

Fans would be upset but you have to make hockey moves, every team has to make those very tough decisions.

Top D man would also make lots of fans very happy for many years..

I like Boeser but can't keep everyone.. Have Petey to sign next season 8 - 9 million.....Hughes 6.3 - 6.8 million next season..

This season:

Markstrom - 5.3 -5.8 million x4 yrs

Taffoli  - 4.7 - 5.0 million x 4 yrs

Tanev ??? 4.6 million

Virtanen - 3.4 million x 3 yrs

Stetcher - 2.8 million x 3yrs ? Maybe trade ? Rafferty could fill this # 5 spot at 750,000

Leivo - 1.8 million x 2 yrs  show me more deal

Fantenberg - ?

MacEwen - 900,000 x 2 yrs

Motte - 900,000 x 2 yrs

Edited by wildcam

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

OMG, So sorry on spelling of Boeser...Well at some point one of the top 5 forwards will be traded for top # 2 D man?

Its call position of strength, any hockey person will tell you this?Vancouver is strong in goal and decent in forward position..

The defence is there weak spot....

Fans would be upset but you have to make hockey moves, every team has to make those very tough decisions.

Top D man would also make lots of fans very happy for many years..

I like Boeser but can't keep everyone.. Have Petey to sign next season 8 - 9 million.....Hughes 6.3 - 6.8 million next season..

This season:

Markstrom - 5.3 -5.8 million x4 yrs

Taffoli  - 4.7 - 5.0 million x 4 yrs

Tanev ??? 4.6 million

Virtanen - 3.4 million x 3 yrs

Stetcher - 2.8 million x 3yrs ? Maybe trade ? Rafferty could fill this # 5 spot at 750,000

Leivo - 1.8 million x 2 yrs  show me more deal

Fantenberg - ?

MacEwen - 900,000 x 2 yrs

Motte - 900,000 x 2 yrs

I would trade Virtanen, fantenburg, Leivo, Benn Sutter, they will probably sign  Tram, and we have a few defense in Utica  that are ready, Benning wanted another top six player all year, that is one of the reasons they got Toffoli, seems dumb to get rid of a top six.  and I was not trying to be  rude on your spelling, sorry if you took it that way.

5 hours ago, bree2 said:

I would trade Virtanen, fantenburg, Leivo, Benn Sutter, they will probably sign  Tram, and we have a few defense in Utica  that are ready, Benning wanted another top six player all year, that is one of the reasons they got Toffoli, seems dumb to get rid of a top six.  and I was not trying to be  rude on your spelling, sorry if you took it that way.

Go to capfriendly only so much money? Next season will be harder  Petey 7.5 -8.5 million--- Hughes 6.6 -7.3million....

Go to capfriendly only so much money? Next season will be harder  Petey 7.5 -8.5 million--- Hughes 6.6 -7.3million....

I  have, but I am not worried I believe in Benning working it out

This coming season will be our only real pinch for a while. We have plenty of expiring cap the next couple years.

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I agree. I like Podkolzin, but we've invested in so much time with Virtanen. He's an NHL player, and Podkolzin is basically where Virtanen was a couple of seasons ago. He's not a lock to be an NHL player just yet. But he could be, we'll have to see when he arrives. 

I'd like to keep both if we could. Why do we have to get rid of one in order to keep the other? The more depth the better. Hopefully, management can be astute with their cap management, and players start wanting to take less, so that they can play for a winner, and an up and coming team in the league. 

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree. I like Podkolzin, but we've invested in so much time with Virtanen. He's an NHL player, and Podkolzin is basically where Virtanen was a couple of seasons ago. He's not a lock to be an NHL player just yet. But he could be, we'll have to see when he arrives. 

I'd like to keep both if we could. Why do we have to get rid of one in order to keep the other? The more depth the better. Hopefully, management can be astute with their cap management, and players start wanting to take less, so that they can play for a winner, and an up and coming team in the league. 

I think in the hypothetical world where Podkozlin develops as we hope, it makes sense to look at trading Virtanen to fill a void elsewhere in our lineup, but that's only hypothetical and not certain right now. Right now, we go off of what we know and that is that Virtanen is a middle-six forward with 2nd line up-side. Podkolzin is currently a KHL bottom six forward who has NHL top six potential some day.

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think in the hypothetical world where Podkozlin develops as we hope, it makes sense to look at trading Virtanen to fill a void elsewhere in our lineup, but that's only hypothetical and not certain right now. Right now, we go off of what we know and that is that Virtanen is a middle-six forward with 2nd line up-side. Podkolzin is currently a KHL bottom six forward who has NHL top six potential some day.

I would hate to see Virtanen get trade with his speed and size and he will score between 19 -24 goals...Every team will want Jake and playoff teams need size and speed he brings.. I still feel Jake will get better and have a complete game causing havoc if the offensive zone..

Virtanen  23 -6'1- 220lbs - future 19 -24 G -- 44-50 points -- Will use he size and speed more and benefit good players on his line.. Bright future..

23 hours ago, wildcam said:

I would hate to see Virtanen get trade with his speed and size and he will score between 19 -24 goals...Every team will want Jake and playoff teams need size and speed he brings.. I still feel Jake will get better and have a complete game causing havoc if the offensive zone..

Virtanen  23 -6'1- 220lbs - future 19 -24 G -- 44-50 points -- Will use he size and speed more and benefit good players on his line.. Bright future..

Boeser would probably get a 2D player where Virtanen likely would not at this time. Jake has evolved tremendously in the past 2 seasons. Covert some of those posts into goals and he likely hits 25 goals. He will likely be a 50 -  55 ppg player next year. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Boeser would probably get a 2D player where Virtanen likely would not at this time. Jake has evolved tremendously in the past 2 seasons. Covert some of those posts into goals and he likely hits 25 goals. He will likely be a 50 -  55 ppg player next year. 

I agree with you 100% about Virtanen and his development. The future is bright with Virtanen and every time this big 6'1, 220 lbs train with so much speed attacks the net with the puck it causes havoc and scoring chances..

Benning will not trade a centre so winger is trade bait..Boeser will bring back the best return and unfortunately you can't keep every player. Fans will love a top end D man under 27 playing over 23 mins with great hockey IQ...

Jim Benning and group have some serious decisions to make to keep competitive...Fans will not be happy but its the Canadian market...Bottom line the top end  #2 D man will be very popular after a few games..

Edited by wildcam

32 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree with you 100% about Virtanen and his development. The future is bright with Virtanen and every time this big 6'1, 220 lbs train with so much speed attacks the net with the puck it causes havoc and scoring chances..

Benning will not trade a centre so winger is trade bait..Boeser will bring back the best return and unfortunately you can't keep every player. Fans will love a top end D man under 27 playing over 23 mins with great hockey IQ...

Jim Benning and group have some serious decisions to make to keep competitive...Fans will not be happy but its the Canadian market...Bottom line the top end  #2 D man will be very popular after a few games..

Seeing as how resigning Tanev may be a bit of a stretch right now, if we could pry Dumba from Minny, I would not be upset at all. Just thinking of the damage of Hughes-Dumba as our top 2 could do. Opens a spot to sign Toffoli to bridge the gap until the likes of Hogs and Podz have some nhl experience and are ready to take over a 2nd line role.

That said, I really like Boeser as a player and a person, and would be sad to see him go. But at least it's a trade that'll keep him close to his family.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Seeing as how resigning Tanev may be a bit of a stretch right now, if we could pry Dumba from Minny, I would not be upset at all. Just thinking of the damage of Hughes-Dumba as our top 2 could do. Opens a spot to sign Toffoli to bridge the gap until the likes of Hogs and Podz have some nhl experience and are ready to take over a 2nd line role.

That said, I really like Boeser as a player and a person, and would be sad to see him go. But at least it's a trade that'll keep him close to his family.

We don't need a Dumba, we already have a better version in Hughes. Hughes needs a (younger) 'Suter' to play with.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

We don't need a Dumba, we already have a better version in Hughes. Hughes needs a (younger) 'Suter' to play with.

There are several good young D men that would fit a #2 D men in the league under 27..Just a matter of other team looking for a winger to fit there needs..

I can see this type of trade happening trade Boeser unload a 5.7 million dollar contract -- D man coming back similar salary under 27 yrs old..

Use money not signing Tanev to help with several other contracts up in Vancouver this summer...

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

There are several good young D men that would fit a #2 D men in the league under 27

Such as?

And having identified who you think would fit, would his team be willing to part with him?

I'd rather keep Brock, so it better be a very good return.

• Upvote 1