The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Baertschi losing favour with Willie

Sedintwinpowersactivate

I made it a point to watch him in the Detroit game,and his passing and natural skills are very evident...almost elite quality..IMO...Where he he falls off is not going after the puck,always waiting to get the puck on his stick (which is why he doesn't work with players like Vrbata)..this makes him look anonymous out there...

He's definitely worth giving a long look..He's like an enigma within an enigma..If WD can unlock it ..we could have a helluva player..but at the end of the day,its up to Sven himself.

You are right in that he plays much like a shooter( ala Vrbata) which is why I don't see him much in the corners. The problem is that in order to do this you need to score. I hope he can adapt and gel with someone on the team.

I said we should stop trading 2nds for other teams cast offs the day the trade was made. Go check the SB thread. So many in there said i knew nothing and SB was the real deal and its only a 2nd rounder.

Lol. Story of the Canucks eh. " its only a 2nd round pick"

This is what?  8 games in.  It's far too early to make any conclusions.  He's going to get at least as much rope as Linden Vey did (that's a full season +) and he deserves it.  Vey was a 4th rounder and Baertschi was 13th over all.

2nd rounders are important (obviously) and I don't have to tell you that they have something like a 1 in 4 chance of becoming a player.  Now, Benning made a calculated risk on Baer because he has certain knowledge of his character coming from his junior coach, Travis Green and other sources and the Canucks are in dire need of players in the 23-27 year old range.  One of their biggest issues is that they are all prospects and old farts.

Baertschi is a bit of a reclamation project sure.  He was a pre-Burke draftee and didn't fit Burkies model in Calgary and was roundly criticised and his development was mishandled.  He is clearly highly skilled and if partnered with complimentary line mates may be very effective one day.  I think that it was a risk well worth taking.

So I have been watching him this season trying to see the potential everybody has been talking about and I have not seen it. I keep trying to think of a play he made where I thought he showed some promise. I can't think of one. I do remember some great plays by McCann and Hutton though. Why is that? Baertchi should be way ahead in his development over them but that does not appear to be the case. Every game I keep saying well maybe I will see something out of him this time but that has not happened yet. I am of the philosophy that if you are not contributing to helping the team win then why are you wasting a spot in the line up? Maybe next game..................:)

did you watch the Sedins early in their career too ? Using your logic, they were a waste of 2 roster spots. And yes, I am comparing Baer to the Sedins. High hockey IQ and skill.

Baertschi looked like the odd man out against the Habs. In his own end he was brutal, and several weak plays. Luckily the Canucks were too good tonight to have it cost them.

Baertschi hasn't been costing them in the least. He has the best Corsi stats on the team.

Still waiting for more from him offensively though.

Surprised to see the negative comments about Bae after that game.

IMO he finally showed the potential that people have seen in him in the past. When he gets a chance he is incredibly deft with the puck and a very good puck handler. He can stick handle at speed and create chances all by himself. It's rare to see right now as he hasn't learned yet how to play away from the puck to get those chances but at least he's shown some of the skills he has.

It's hard to judge a small guy like him but right now if he can keep getting minutes and getting a little better I see the potential ihim

did you watch the Sedins early in their career too ? Using your logic, they were a waste of 2 roster spots. And yes, I am comparing Baer to the Sedins. High hockey IQ and skill.

Yes I did watch them when they first started actually. Although they were knocked off the puck very easily, you could still see the potential they had and that they had a veteran type of play early on similar to Bo,McCann and Virt right now. They also produced right from the get go as well which is why they stayed in the line up.

Suprisingly though last night is where I actually noticed Baerts play. He is a great passer and attempted to get more involved in the play last night. He has great vision and passing skills similar to Derek Roy but needs to learn how to retrieve and skate with the puck more. He seems to stand around alot like he is waiting for a pass when he should be getting the puck so he can set up one those great passes of his. IMO.

Baertschi is actually playing fine, we're just not looking hard enough. This article is from the 16th, but it highlights his even strength corsi and decidedly bad luck so far in the season: http://canucksarmy.com/2015/10/16/where-is-sven-baertschi

He's generating chances, is a hell of a puck mover, has some of the highest zone entries for his ice time, and has the best even strength corsi on the team; all this and nothing to show for it. Unfortunately the Canucks dismal shooting percentage to start the season has hurt Baertschi as a set up guy more-so than anyone else. When he was with Vrbata/Horvat both were ice cold. We're sort of still waiting on Horvat to heat up a bit. We saw last night, with the lines shaken up, Baer looked great on the Sbisa set up. He played the half way magnificently and managed a cross ice seam pass for the goal.

I'm not worried with Baer, his luck will change, and those pucks will start finding their way into the net. 

One would think that with the results of last years Utica Comets playoff race, where Sven was a huge impact player, combine that with GMJB's endorsement and why doubt him? I mean obviously now the JB doubters are silenced and his biggest fault (Vey) was basically a Willie need and endorsement, can we not trust that this guy is the real deal? Put it this way: for every Jake, there needs to be a Sven; for every Sven, there needs to be a Jake. My point is this: it takes a variety of skills to win the cup, and Sven's skill set has a spot. Let's give him a real good chance at it before we decide we should find someone else to try to do the same things he does.

Baertschi looked like the odd man out against the Habs. In his own end he was brutal, and several weak plays. Luckily the Canucks were too good tonight to have it cost them.

I guess everybody see's the game a little different...I hardly recall Sven being a liability defensively at all in this game....He was instrumental in Sbisa's goal...McCann looked like he missed his assignment on the Habs goal,and Jake took a lazy penalty in the offensive zone...So what.?...Rookies are going to make mistakes..

One would think that with the results of last years Utica Comets playoff race, where Sven was a huge impact player, combine that with GMJB's endorsement and why doubt him? I mean obviously now the JB doubters are silenced and his biggest fault (Vey) was basically a Willie need and endorsement, can we not trust that this guy is the real deal? Put it this way: for every Jake, there needs to be a Sven; for every Sven, there needs to be a Jake. My point is this: it takes a variety of skills to win the cup, and Sven's skill set has a spot. Let's give him a real good chance at it before we decide we should find someone else to try to do the same things he does.

I guess I'm not nearly as quick to "trust that this guy is the real deal" after the Kassian experiment. Gillis sold the guy as a potential top-6'r, remember? Meanwhile, Alex Grenier was down in the minors...He's since been passed up by Virtanen, McCann and now Gaunce, by the way. I'll hold off on the Baertschi's "the real deal" talk until I see something consistent from the guy that doesn't make me think of Mason Raymond.

I guess I'm not nearly as quick to "trust that this guy is the real deal" after the Kassian experiment. Gillis sold the guy as a potential top-6'r, remember? Meanwhile, Alex Grenier was down in the minors...He's since been passed up by Virtanen, McCann and now Gaunce, by the way. I'll hold off on the Baertschi's "the real deal" talk until I see something consistent from the guy that doesn't make me think of Mason Raymond.

Yeah your right he does eerily remind me of Raymond. Flashes of great play then nothing for a few games. Consistency will need to come into his game for him to be effective.

Baertschi sitting for a 2nd game against Arizona tonight.  Ferraro and Valk asked today about Baer and they both say that he needs to contribute more and show up on the stat sheet.  He doesn't really fit in a bottom 6 role, he has the skill for top 6 but he hasn't done much.

When's the light bulb going to go on for Baer?  Shink is warming things up back in Utica.  He is clearly getting that he needs to produce.  6 goals in 6 games and counting.  Atta boy Hunter! 

I was really hoping that Vey to score 15 goals in the NHL this season and Baertschi would break out with 20. Don't think that's going to happen anymore. Instead it looks like McCann, Gaunce and maybe Shinkaruk will be filling in depth scoring from our youth this year.

As long as we get it from somewhere. Vey and Baertschi may as well keep Utica going while our own first round picks are scoring for us. Got to feel bad for Baertschi though, he's played REALLY well at times and shown some amazing hockey IQ and vision. The kids got 3 assists in 9 games which isn't bad, I thin he deserves another chance and quickly before Shinkaruk gets called up because he likely won't leave.

Archived