The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

I'll call this one a win for us. The Comets lose a little with Jensen, as Etem will have to be on the Canucks (barring a conditioning stint), but I'm sure we can make room and find someone else if we really need it on the farm.

Jensen was going to require waivers next year and wasn't really doing much (Grenier had moved ahead of him for sure this year if not last year) so even adding a 6th means very little. Maybe he as more success in the East, but I think Etem will have more of an NHL impact.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like the prospects of having more of a physical presence on one of Horvat's wings.  Love Vrbata of course, but neither he nor Baertschi are space makers (and Vrby hasn't been as great a fit as hoped) - could see this being a good fit for Horvat possibly enabling JB to recover a pick or package Vrbata at the deadline if he's not re-signing here/ or part of the plans for the future.

As it stood, there's some decent upside in a Baer Bo Vrby line, but is it too soft?    Etem has a pretty good skillset to mesh with those two.  

Or with McCann - Etem gives the prospect of a larger, speedier young guy with a reasonable two way game providing more upside on Jared's wing.

Adds lots of possibilities for WD to work with.

I agree, Vrbata is not a good fit for that line. He's too slow and one dimensional for the way Bo and Sven are playing right now. If Etem looks good with them in practice, I would give him a spot on that line. Scratch Prust for a game or two.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Too soon for that I think. He needs to play a simplified game right now, similar to what Horvat is doing.

A straight line game where he takes the puck to the net. He's shown he plays well with a creative winger like Shinkaruk, so Baertschi could be a good fit with him. Then him and Horvat can drive the net and wreak havoc.

Oh you didn't hear? He's gonna play with Prust and Vey..... JK. 

Seriously though I Think a line of Baertschi-Horvat-Etem   could work Its not like Vrbata is doing anything on that line right now

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

that's unfortunate then. was hoping for Hammer to have a quick recovery and maybe we could get something for him and give him an opportunity to go on a legitimate playoff run. but as is the state of this franchise - cursed - we lose Hammer for nothing most likely. 

I think he will be back in van next season.  He's a bc boy and he has been a great ambassador for the Canucks.  He likely doesn't want to move and the Canucks don't have the positional depth to lose him if he takes a discount.

Love this trade for so many reasons!

1. Jensen had become an after thought in this organization. Sadly we could have drafted Jenner before him, but we didn't. I actually liked Jensen and didn't think he ever really got a fair shake to be a top 6 forward, where he really is best suited. The few times he played with talent he scored. However, I do think he needed to learn alot of little details that if they aren't learned can cause problems at the NHL level - which is why he was in the minors. Clearly AV knows him as a player and likes him, NYR don't have much top 6 offensive young depth, so this gives him a new chance, great for him, I wish him well!

2. Etem is big, strong and has speed. He played quite well for Anaheim but was behind a number of players given their depth and his age. I have heard he wasn't used correctly in NY and this gives a kid who scored 60+ in junior a new chance. At worst he's a strong 3W and he's played for Willie before in MHat. He's also played with Vey and Shinky who just changed his twitter to say "Big fan of Emersen Etem" . - The kid scored 61 goals with Shinky on his line, Hunter got 49. Vey got over 100 pts with this guy on his wing the year prior - Let's hope they recreate that magic here! A very smart move.

Great hockey trade for both sides, and real opportunity for both sides to come out with a win, and both players to get a nice fresh start!

Etem is also only 23! So we get younger but with solid NHL experience, again love this deal! Great job Benning!

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think he will be back in van next season.  He's a bc boy and he has been a great ambassador for the Canucks.  He likely doesn't want to move and the Canucks don't have the positional depth to lose him if he takes a discount.

im for keeping him but does he accept 3yr 7.5m? nmc of course

3 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Oh you didn't hear? He's gonna play with Prust and Vey..... JK. 

Seriously though I Think a line of Baertschi-Horvat-Etem   could work Its not like Vrbata is doing anything on that line right now

Vey got 100 pts with this kid on his line, Etem had 45 goals with Vey as his center...there is some chemistry there

Shink got 49 goals with him the next year and Etem scored 61 (Vey was gone) so more chemistry

This is a great trade any way you look at it!

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They have to want him, at any price. I'm not so sure of that. 

Especially so if that discount requires a NTC. I don't see that happening. 

Personally I'd bring him back but I think the stars will have to align almost perfectly. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wonder what he would ask. 2.5 mil? 

2 minutes ago, McCannon said:

Vey got 100 pts with this kid on his line, Etem had 45 goals with Vey as his center...there is some chemistry there

Shink got 49 goals with him the next year and Etem scored 61 (Vey was gone) so more chemistry

This is a great trade any way you look at it!

Don't forget that was in junior.

I just want to see the guy use his speed and win puck battles.  Canucks desperately need that element especially with Hansen out

Realistically, where did Jensen fall among the young forwards in the organization?

When you can add a player like Etem - who may not have been producing a lot in spot duty in NY but folks need to keep that in context - and you've neither subtracted from your pool of top  RWs (Virt and Boeser) nor centers (McCann, Cassells) or LW (Shink or Gaunce) - you haven't given up a 1st (or 2nd) and you haven't touched your blueline, that's a pretty good day imo.

I am a big fan of Emerson Etem. He is bigger and stronger than Jensen, and has a similar offensive upside. He has some pretty nice goal highlights on YouTube. I recommend you look up a goal he scored against the Jets when he was with Anaheim. Beautiful goal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQ0OzoE_Pk). 

He also stands up for his teammates when necessary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X3RY4TwQeE)

Jensen seemed to have fallen out of favour in Vancouver and his stock was falling more and more. I think this is a steal by Jim Benning. Great trade in my opinion. I wish the best of luck to Jensen in NYR, but I think in the end we have a player more suited to our style of play with Emerson Etem.

Great Job JB! Very smart hockey trade IMO. I bet WD is happy as well (Another Medicine Hat Tiger).

Archived