The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's time to give Bo the 'A'

*Buzzsaw*

Personally, I'd say we be patient with it. Let him grow in the role he's already taken on. We've got plenty of other leaders that are much more experienced as of now. Give him a couple more years probably.

4 hours ago, babych said:

With no one picking up Higgins on waivers at $2.5 million I'm not sure who would take Burrows right now at $4.5 ...

higgins  if bought out is a cap hit of 834k for 2 yrs  frees 1.7 cap 

we can retain 2.25 mill of burrows  in a trade  frees 2.25

or buy out burrows cap hit 1.48 mill for 2 yrs 

frees at least 4.5 mill in extra cap space  which would cover shinkaruk, grenier, gaunce, virtanen and mccanns contracts meanwhile hamhuis, weber, prust, vrbata frees 13.5 mill in space  lotsa money to sign a few better ufas

5 hours ago, Just Jimmy said:

Why did you wait until the point streak to make this post...if you really believed that he has been doing an impeccable job all season, then you should've made this thread while he was struggling.

Good point... he's in his formative years in the NHL,still learning..Still finding his game...Do we need to tie another millstone around his 20 year old neck right now..?...Just let him play.

22 hours ago, Green Building said:

I agree with most everything you said, except for the ruffled feathers. If Horvat is a natural leader then he becomes the natural choice. I do think it's a bit early yet though. I don't know if I get big assistant leadership vibes from Tanev. He's as cool as a cucumber, and easily the most consistent dman for the last few seasons, and I hope he sticks with us for a while yet, but is he a voice of the team? I just don't know. Does he have a voice? As you say though, he is a strong candidate, considering his gameplay, and our alternatives.  

I have to think that one of Burr or Hammer is relived of assistant captaincy next season as either part of changing of the guard, or from trade deadline movement. Sutter is more experienced, but has he made enough of an impression to quantify an A yet? Daniel is cemented in, for arguments sake one of Burr/Hamhuis, and barring a game changing trade the last letter goes to one of Sutter/Tanev/Horvat, in that order, at this point in time. 

On reflection, I think you have pretty much nailed it. Ruffled feathers is probably not much an issue but I still think Bo will feel better about getting the letter once he there is no doubt about whether he has earned it. And I agree about Tanev. I suggested him but I agree his personality does not seem ideal for a letter (as is also true of Edler). The only natural leader in the D group right now is Hammer.

As you say, if Hammer and Burr are gone, the order of Sutter/Tanev/Horvat is reasonable. Personally I hope Hammer re-signs. He is a leader on the team, is still a valuable veteran presence on the team and will probably sign below market.

He acts like an Assistant captain on and off the ice. He deserves to get an "A" on his jersey, BUT I would hesitate to do so for fear of putting too much pressure on a young guy who's only in his 2nd NHL season ever as a 20 year old kid. As much as I and many other fans would like to see this, I'd hold off for a couple years until he really gets in his groove and isn't so "green" so to speak.

Remember when Luongo got the Captain jersey and his numbers started to go down dramatically (yes he did recover, but for a while there he was struggling for no other reason other than him becoming the captain)? I don't think we should put Bo in this situation right now as it involves so much more then just putting an "A" on his jersey and the worst thing we could possibly do is overload Bo and have him crash from all the extra weight on his shoulders. I wouldn't want to take that risk just yet.

I'm being a bit of a homer here but when they made brown a capt,in la at such a young age did he do as much to deserve that compared to what bo has done in his short time.he,s the natural choice of the young guns simply by being more dominant. plus he was the first of the new young guns. i would like to see hendrik pass it on to him. it has to be from within this time by the players. the louogo thing the messier thing how,d that work out.

8 minutes ago, BoneOzone said:

Canucks have the smallest Defense in the NHL and it shows ,                                                                                                 smaller players should be forwards  and defense players should be a Larger  ( D.Byfuglien ) 6'-4"  +  types.

This team needs an enema ( Mike Keenan style  ), soon to be minus a lot of long-time regular players, rebuild cant happen until the old system is gone .

Really  ????   your gonna pick is ( RUDY ) over  ( Andre the Giant ) for a Defense ????  the Canucks are in need of a CHARA FACTOR on Defense .    #DontyougetshortwithmeMrFroto     Biega 5'-10"  might as well see what ( J.Subban ) has, if your looking for a Hobbit scoring defense.

This makes little to no sense 

37 minutes ago, BoneOzone said:

Canucks have the smallest Defense in the NHL and it shows ,                                                                                                 smaller players should be forwards  and defense players should be a Larger  ( D.Byfuglien ) 6'-4"  +  types.

This team needs an enema ( Mike Keenan style  ), soon to be minus a lot of long-time regular players, rebuild cant happen until the old system is gone .

Really  ????   your gonna pick is ( RUDY ) over  ( Andre the Giant ) for a Defense ????  the Canucks are in need of a CHARA FACTOR on Defense .    #DontyougetshortwithmeMrFroto     Biega 5'-10"  might as well see what ( J.Subban ) has, if your looking for a Hobbit scoring defense.

What's going on?

Hold your horses! Henrik wants to play till he's 40 same with Daniel obviously.

Kurtenbach
Boudrias
Oddleifson
Lever
McCarthy
Smyl
Quinn
Lidster
Linden
Messier
Naslund
Luongo
Sedin
Horvat??? 

We're talking 5 years from now potentially. I think it's too soon to start talking captain, but definitely should get the A soon if he continues his awesome play.

I don't want As or Cs handed out till I see some "fight/push back" in our rookies and that won't be discernible until about another 3 years. My ideal  C is Iginla and my ideal A would be Bieksa.

I love the Sedins but I don't want another Captain or A that doesn't lead the way in a melee. I am tired of rats like Marchand thinking they are on a walk over if they pick on our leaders. Prust will be gone in 2 years as will Dorsett probably and ok Pedan and hopefully Tryamkin will be with us but I don't see them yet as having the other attributes of a C or an A.

4 hours ago, BoneOzone said:

I hear what you're saying because I can read morse code.

Archived