The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sutter returns , now what?

Toyotasfan

No way Sutter should be playing on the first line. The guy just came back from a long term injury since November, giving the pressures of the first line on his first game back seems like a recipe for failure. He's got be eased in maybe on third line duties and go from there. From the game tonight it looks like the Sedin-McCann-Hansen line is clicking pretty good. With Cracknell sitting and Henrik on the mend. The question really should be. When Henrik comes back, then what?

Sedin-McCann-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Sutter-Dorsett

Etem-Vey-Virtanen

Not sure giving him 1st line minutes after a long layoff is ideal.  I'd ease him up into the lineup

Sedin-McCann-Hansen (Sutter can slot in on defensive faceoff/end of period/ end of game)
Baerstchi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-Sutter-Etem/Virtanen
Dorsett-Vey/Cracknell-Virtanen/Etem

After Zalewski's performance last night, I want to see him play again on 4th line.  He showed better than Cracknell has and the line spent a lot of time tiring out the opposition in the offensive zone.  I want to see if he is truly the real deal and an upgrade over Cracknell or it was just the excitement and adrenaline. 

Keep Sutter out til after break. 

Sedin McCann Hansen

Baerstchi Horvat Vrbata 

Burrows Vey Etem 

Dorsett Zalewski's Virtanen

Trade Vrbata 

After break

Sedin Sedin Hansen 

Baerstchi Horvat Burrows 

Vey Sutter Etem

Dorsett Zalewski Virtanen

McCann

If Zalewski is the real deal,

At the deadline, trade Dorsett and Burrows. (popular guy but guy will be 35 before season ends and is clearly on the decline). Canucks  won't be contending for 2-3 years which puts him at 37/38 and most likely a non factor. Trade him now while he has some value. Trade or waive Cracknell. 

After deadline 

Sedin Sedin Sutter 

Baerstchi Horvat Hansen 

Gaunce Vey Etem 

Kenins Zalewski Virtanen

McCann 

Can this team still make the playoffs? I think so? 

8 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

When Sutter returns to the line up Saturday it creates an interesting lineup problem, how will he be slotted in? Top line probably but what will the 4th line be? Maybe something like this?

Daniel Sedin - Brandon Sutter - Jannik Hansen

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Radim Vrbata

Alexandre Burrows - Linden Vey - Emerson Etem

Derek Dorsett -Jared McCannJake Virtanen

Alexander Edler - Christopher Tanev

Ben Hutton - Luca Sbisa

Matt Bartkowski - Alex Biega

Ryan Miller

And when we get Hank back,

Daniel - Hank - Hansen

Baer - Bo - Vbata

Burrows - Sutter - Emerson

Dorsett - McCann -Virt

I would not break up the Horvat line.

28 minutes ago, aliboy said:

And when we get Hank back,

Daniel - Hank - Hansen

Baer - Bo - Vbata

Burrows - Sutter - Emerson

Dorsett - McCann -Virt

I would not break up the Horvat line.

Not sure having McCann and Virt on shut down line a good idea. 

Dan-Hank-Hansen

Baer-Bo-Vrbata

Burrows-Sutter-Virt

Dorsett-Vey/McCann-Etem

It would be nice for him, and fun to watch, his return against Pittsburgh if at all possible. I just hope he doesn't push it and risk re-injury because of it.

After the All-Star break and pending Vrbata deal (I would hope..) the lineup could look something like:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertchi - Horvat - Virtanen

Burrows - McCann - Sutter

Etem - Vey - Dorsett

I think that's the type of forward corps that Willy could comfortably roll.

8 hours ago, Hectic said:
8 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

respect those hyper links.

There was a topic like this floating around, but I'm too lazy to go find it. So let's use this one.

With Sutter back, I think one or both of Vrbata/Prust get moved. Vey has quietly earned his spot on this team, while Virtanen seems to have taken big strides since the WJC. In addition to this, the acquisition and strong performance of Etem has solidified another roster spot. This forces the veteran pending UFAs out, as the deadline approaches their value increases. 

Anyways, I say throw Sutter back on the wing and have him take the faceoffs for Jared. 

Sedin McCann Sutter
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Burrows Vey Etem
Dorsett Cracknell Virtanen

When H. Sedin comes back:

Sedin Sedin Sutter
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Burrows Vey Etem
Dorsett McCann Virtanen
(Cracknell)

I think with Sutter returning, we're looking at some more moves coming. 

Love that lineup

Great lineup. And then let's have a closer look at the D's.

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Not sure giving him 1st line minutes after a long layoff is ideal.  I'd ease him up into the lineup

Sedin-McCann-Hansen (Sutter can slot in on defensive faceoff/end of period/ end of game)
Baerstchi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-Sutter-Etem/Virtanen
Dorsett-Vey/Cracknell-Virtanen/Etem

Don't worry, As long as Vey and Dorsett are here, even the first line doesn't get first line minutes. :lol:

(and to be fair, I've always liked Dors' spirit, and have to admit Willie may have been smarter about the Vey thing than any of us)

Maybe...and I could be reaching here...maybe, the plan is to keep the Sedins rested before the playoffs. Hell, Marky's shown we might even be able to keep Miller fresh for the post-season.

8 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

A better question is what do we do when Sutter and Henrik come back ? Correct me if I'm wrong but we will have to shed 2 players to stay under the roster limits, right ? Does Zalewski have to clear waivers to go back down ? Would Vey clear ?

I would rather waive Cracknell than send Vey down. Vey is young and has room for improvement.

Put Sutter down the list and leave McCann on the first.  That way he can work his way back into game conditions, etc.  Putting him on the first line and expecting first line minutes during his first game back is poor coaching and player management.  

11 hours ago, canucktican said:

If he does come back though, what a boost it'll be for the team. We need our top 2 centers back so badly now that we are in the hunt for the playoffs

We're in the hunt for playoffs? I'm not super excited at the prospect of another first round exit

If Sutter slots in on Tuesday here is how I think the lines should look.

Sedin McCann Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows Vey Etem

Dorsett Sutter Virtanen

After the all star break

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows Sutter Etem

Dorsett Cracknell Virtanen

Prust/McCann

Archived