The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

He looked like a more focused player tonight and didn't look out of place at centre playing in different situations. He seems quite comfortable at this level, which he should be given that its slightly better than AHL level competition. He'll really have to push himself to crack the opening lineup though as he'll not only have to knock out an incumbent player but compete against Zalewski, who also showed well tonight and has the same versatility to play wing or centre.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I thought Gaunce was a monster tonight. That worked hard, skated well and generated turnovers. That hit on Pouliot too

Definitely a strong game. He still did all the quiet little plays that make me love his game (based on his high level positioning, vision, and defensive awareness). But he also showed a lot of jump, was engaged physically, and obviously hitting the scoresheet didn't hurt.

Gaunce clearly has his mind set on making this team. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, junglesniper said:

I thought Gaunce was a monster tonight. That worked hard, skated well and generated turnovers. That hit on Pouliot too

3 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

He looked like a more focused player tonight and didn't look out of place at centre playing in different situations. He seems quite comfortable at this level, which he should be given that its slightly better than AHL level competition. He'll really have to push himself to crack the opening lineup though as he'll not only have to knock out an incumbent player but compete against Zalewski, who also showed well tonight and has the same versatility to play wing or centre.

Gaunce was significantly better than Granlund against the Oilers. He looked bigger, faster, more creative offensively, and better in his own zone. Gaunce was also excellent on the PK and also had a lot of chances offensively (and had a very nice goal). I always thought Gaunce had a good shot at 13th man, as he can play center or LW, but I now have him penciled in as 4C. But we will see how things go the rest of the way.

Gaunce looks highly determined this preseason and I would be more surprised if he starts in Utica than in Vancouver. Very encouraging to see from a guy I was starting to forget about with our new shiny toys. 

It's promising to see that the organization have got quite a few players knocking on the door to make the NHL team. Makes me feel more comfortable about veterans moving on as their roles can likely be filled internally. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely a strong game. He still did all the quiet little plays that make me love his game (based on his high level positioning, vision, and defensive awareness). But he also showed a lot of jump, was engaged physically, and obviously hitting the scoresheet didn't hurt.

Gaunce clearly has his mind set on making this team. 

I watched the game on the radio and that pretty well sums up what Tomlinson had to say about Gaunce.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Gaunce was significantly better than Granlund against the Oilers. He looked bigger, faster, more creative offensively, and better in his own zone. Gaunce was also excellent on the PK and also had a lot of chances offensively (and had a very nice goal). I always thought Gaunce had a good shot at 13th man, as he can play center or LW, but I now have him penciled in as 4C. But we will see how things go the rest of the way.

I have the feeling he's competing more with Etem - both are asked to play a physical game to wear down opponents.  They don't expect Gaunce to put up a lot of points but instead to be very solid defensively as it then allows more offensive looks for the other lines.    

They think Granlund can develop into a playmaking C.  His offence is not there yet but he is actually pretty solid defensively and can play on the PK - 6min last night.  WD seems to really like Granlund's smarts and competitiveness while he seemed to question that for Etem. 

All three don't have a lot of offence to their game for now - whether due to projected role or where they are in their development.  If Etem is not scoring - he's not as solid defensively as the other two and his separation from Granlund would have to be on his physical play.  

If it's Granlund and Gaunce who make the team, I think it's Granlund that would play C.  He's not as comfortable as Gaunce at wing.  Hopefully Manny can help them at face-offs - Gaunce continues to struggle at 35% over 2 games.  Granlund does not do much better at 41%. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

I have the feeling he's competing more with Etem - both are asked to play a physical game to wear down opponents.  They don't expect Gaunce to put up a lot of points but instead to be very solid defensively as it then allows more offensive looks for the other lines.    

They think Granlund can develop into a playmaking C.  His offence is not there yet but he is actually pretty solid defensively and can play on the PK - 6min last night.  WD seems to really like Granlund's smarts and competitiveness while he seemed to question that for Etem. 

All three don't have a lot of offence to their game for now - whether due to projected role or where they are in their development.  If Etem is not scoring - he's not as solid defensively as the other two and his separation from Granlund would have to be on his physical play.  

If it's Granlund and Gaunce who make the team, I think it's Granlund that would play C.  He's not as comfortable as Gaunce at wing.  Hopefully Manny can help them at face-offs - Gaunce continues to struggle at 35% over 2 games.  Granlund does not do much better at 41%. 

If the young guys can keep bringing it, this is going to be a fascinating preseason to watch. Last game saw Gaunce and Stecher throwing down the gauntlet. It's going to be up to the others (like Etem and Larsen) to respond.

Obviously, the players with more NHL games and who carry waiver risk have a leg up. But those bottom-six/third pairing and spare/extra spots are not written in stone. There is an opportunity to play your way onto this lineup.

Competition is a good thing. :) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, canucklehead80 said:

One period done, but he looked pretty good and involved. Here's hoping it continues and he can make the team.

He is sooooo close to kicking down the door to making the NHL, that he can taste it. He's quicker, d smarter, and seems to have a really great attitude. Gaunce is going to make it difficult for the team brass next month.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If the young guys can keep bringing it, this is going to be a fascinating preseason to watch. Last game saw Gaunce and Stecher throwing down the gauntlet. It's going to be up to the others (like Etem and Larsen) to respond.

Obviously, the players with more NHL games and who carry waiver risk have a leg up. But those bottom-six/third pairing and spare/extra spots are not written in stone. There is an opportunity to play your way onto this lineup.

Competition is a good thing. :) 

We're starting to run in to the very good problem of having too many players for the available spots. And even guys like Gaunce, Zalewski etc have good showings by the likes of Labate and Carconne breathing down their necks.

Depth is a lovely thing ::D:towel:

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What does not get noticed so much with Gaunce is his d-side play. He was breaking up plays all night. He seems to realize he has to play a bit more physical as well. I

liked his game as well as Zalewski and Labate.

There's a damn good reason Utica led the AHL in shorthanded goals last year.  When Gaunce makes the Canucks this year, you can be sure they won't repeat.

Just now, SamJamIam said:

There's a damn good reason Utica led the AHL in shorthanded goals last year.  When Gaunce makes the Canucks this year, you can be sure they won't repeat.

I think he's in a real battle with Etem, and in my humble opinion, I think he really outplayed him last night. But, alas, that's one game, sigh!

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

We're starting to run in to the very good problem of having too many players for the available spots. And even guys like Gaunce, Zalewski etc have good showings by the likes of Labate and Carconne breathing down their necks.

Depth is a lovely thing ::D:towel:

And this is where the fun starts -- trading vets or excess players for picks, or packaging up several for upgrades.  We're not far off.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

It's hard to believe he is that same player we saw a few years back in his first preseason/ training camp. Gaunce is a product of 1st class player devolpment. He was nearly written off when Travis Green started sending him to the press box. People were outraged, people wanted Green's head. IMO that is what lit his fire that is now a raging inferno today. He will be an NHL player for us thanks to Travis Green. 

What may be more influential is his older brother taking a swing and a miss in the NHL. He knows he's believe it or not running out of chnaces and might end up on the "nearly but not quite pile" The kid is motivated and I hope it turns out well fro him. I've always liked him primarily because he's an intelligent hockey player. Just listen to his interviews every question is given a studious answer

1 hour ago, SamJamIam said:

yeah there was that one penalty kill last night, i think in the 3rd; gaunce was hunting guys down behind their net and created a scoring chance or two, by the time he went off the canucks continued to dominate the whole kill based on his forecheck

• Upvote 1