The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

6 Shots on the night and created a great chance for Sutter. Looked good.

The goals will come.  He has scored at every level so far.  #2 overall in the jr draft (beat out by Alex Galchenyuk).  Was utilized in a defensive role during his Jr years, but continued to score goals.  Did very well in Utica.

Just a matter of time.  He'll be our Manny.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If Gaunce plays the way he has these last two games he deserves a spot in our bottom 6 moving forward.

Idc if he doesn't score. As long as he can bring a decent level of physicality and a solid checking game he stays IMO.

He is being played strictly defensively.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

In his last two games, he has played some of his best NHL hockey.  Super solid defensively, physical play without putting himself out of position and hard on the forecheck.  Has created some great chances, and improving his offensive.  Frankly he is unlucky not to have a few more points.

I like some others think the offense will come but he does so many other things well it is not as important.  Also an obvious team first player that shows class in how he carries himself.  He will only get better and has the potential to be that much needed big strong 3rd line centre when this group starts to emerge.  Remember he has only played a few games coming back from a major injury.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

IMO, it's only a matter of time before Gaunce starts to generate some offensive numbers...he does so many little things well.  And his selfless play is what you want out of your young guys.  He was touted as a leader coming out of junior, and he's showing it as a fourth liner.  I've liked Gaunce from day one and he continues to be one of Mike Gillis' few good draft picks.  Was very happy when the Knights chose Sbisa, leaving Gaunce to the Canucks. 

Just a simple prediction, but quietly and steadily, I believe Gaunce is going to develop into one of the top shut-down forwards in the NHL.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Gaunce Sandlak Pyatt. 

I think Gaunce gets more credit than he's due. This type of player is not on your team when you are contending. History proves that out.

His role needs a guy with grit. Sorry.

Totally agree.  I would love to see Gaunce learn from DD, and add sand paper to his game.  He'd become a much valued player, keep a spot, and make way more money.  

Green is definitely comfortable with Gaunce. Love that he came up with many of our players, more than some know... Baer, Marky, Virt, Gauncer. He saw a few. Cull will see more and hopefully (if he does his job and does it extremely well)  he'll join the staff.

Liking the new PP and having Gaunce at C is a must. Maybe MIN would fancy another Granlund?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Western Red said:

Green is definitely comfortable with Gaunce. Love that he came up with many of our players, more than some know... Baer, Marky, Virt, Gauncer. He saw a few. Cull will see more and hopefully (if he does his job and does it extremely well)  he'll join the staff.

Liking the new PP and having Gaunce at C is a must. Maybe MIN would fancy another Granlund?

If Gaunce was more physical it would be a bonus. Another solid game from him last night. He is creating o-zone chances and his d-side just gets stronger. IMHO he pushes Gagner out of the lineup. I suspect Gaunce is doing exactly what his coaches are asking of him. More important that he plays a disciplined game as he settles into the NHL. I do not think we have seen his offensive upside yet. Still expecting him to be a 3rd liner. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If Gaunce was more physical it would be a bonus. Another solid game from him last night. He is creating o-zone chances and his d-side just gets stronger. IMHO he pushes Gagner out of the lineup. I suspect Gaunce is doing exactly what his coaches are asking of him. More important that he plays a disciplined game as he settles into the NHL. I do not think we have seen his offensive upside yet. Still expecting him to be a 3rd liner. 

Love to see Gagner pushed to the press box, but it won't be Gaunce doing that.  That will take an offensive player, like Goldy.

He’s not a liability, he plays his roll perfectly good on the pk He getting chances and he’s creating chances He’s starting to hit more.

Maybe He needs a second job so he can afford to  buy a goal. 

I think hes been good.   he has so little confidence around the net now it makes it even harder to score.

willie sure did a number on a few of the kids. Jake seems like he doesn’t want to hit hard gaunce got to watch megna and Chaput play on the top line and pp while he toiled with minimal minutes in a checking roll.

I don't know if I'm making any sense here but I feel like Gaunce only shoots the puck if he feels like he is sure that he can get a clean shot on net. Otherwise, he passes. Just getting the puck towards the direction of the net! Something good could happen, i.e., see Dorsett's 7 goals. Dorsett just gets the puck towards the net and follows the puck to net with purpose to see if he can cause enough havoc. In that havoc, puck sometimes leaks out towards Dorsett's direction and he bangs it in. 

Gaunce is more skilled than Dorsett. There is no way Gaunce with 0 goals makes any sense. 

• Upvote 1