The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

It'll take 4 years @ 6 plus mill per. Or 3 years @ 7 plus mill per. With NMC/NTC

Best case scenario is he waives, we get a big return.. 1st and a B prospect.  And then we re sign him in summer.

I don't see him waiving.

He signs an extension or leaves as UFA. Most likely signs extension. 

Edited by WHL rocks

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I personally like 2 or 3 years. Four is a bit much for my liking.

I like something like the proposal presented on 650 today.

If you'll waive and gain us assets for the club at the TDL, we'll agree to a 'wink, wink, nudge, nudge' deal this July for 3 years, some extra cash ($6m+) and NTC (modified the last year). 

If not it's a 1 or 2 year deal for say $5.5m +/-per. 

Edited by aGENT

18 hours ago, bree2 said:

2 yrs for 2 1/2 mill and don't give him a ntc

That's pretty insulting tbh.  Cap room we have, I just wouldn't sign him beyond two years.  2 years $10-$12mil seems fair.  I just don't seem him waiving and that's ok, I am not sure he could net us a return that we actually need.  I mean let's be honest, it was nice Burr and Hansen got us Dahlen and Goldy but both are looking like longshots to help this club down the road.  Might mean more to the club to resign him and mentor Hughes or even Juolevi than to try and trade a guy that obviously does not want to be traded. 

Question for someone who keeps track of these things.   How many games has Edler missed in the last 3 years with injuries?

If they offer him an extension then I vote for no more than 2 years with the ability to move him if they wish.  At his age no other team is going to give him big bucks and a longer term than 2 years.  There are too many younger players to spin the wheel on at a much lower price.  

25 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Question for someone who keeps track of these things.   How many games has Edler missed in the last 3 years with injuries?

If they offer him an extension then I vote for no more than 2 years with the ability to move him if they wish.  At his age no other team is going to give him big bucks and a longer term than 2 years.  There are too many younger players to spin the wheel on at a much lower price.  

2015/16    30 games missed

2016/17    14 games missed

2017/18    12 games missed

2018/19    15 games missed

Fwiw Kyprios thinks otherwise: 

I'm still a big fan of Edler! But IF, we are out of the PO-spot race and he would waive his NTC and we would get a huge offer for him, I would trade him and try to sign him in the off-season.

IF not.. I hope he will retire as Canuck!

:wub:

I think Edler is in a pickle. He wants to stay in Vancouver, but I can see Benning and Co, twisting his arm knowing that he doesn't want to move and pushing him to sign for cheaper than market value ($5M or less). 

The best deal for both parties would probably be a 3 year deal with a modified NTC of some sort for about $5M per year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think Edler is in a pickle. He wants to stay in Vancouver, but I can see Benning and Co, twisting his arm knowing that he doesn't want to move and pushing him to sign for cheaper than market value ($5M or less). 

The best deal for both parties would probably be a 3 year deal with a modified NTC of some sort for about $5M per year.

If the Canucks are not in the playoff picture by the TDL I want them to move either Edler or Tanev. Preferably Edler if they can resigned him. Over the next 3 seasons I prefer keeping Edler over Tanev. In any deal Edler would return more IMHO. 

10 hours ago, bad alice french said:

If Eagle goes to market, he'll get 4 years at 6m.

With the expansion draft looming I doubt it. My guess is a two year deal here or somewhere else. Then he won't need to be protected in the draft. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, rekker said:

With the expansion draft looming I doubt it. My guess is a two year deal here or somewhere else. Then he won't need to be protected on the draft. 

If Seattle wants to take a 36 year old instead of a young prospect then good for us, or any other team that signs him. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Seattle wants to take a 36 year old instead of a young prospect then good for us, or any other team that signs him. 

Agreed. But there would need to be a NMC involved. I'm guessing Eddy would want that. I'm guessing not many teams are willing to do that. That's why I see a two year, NMC, NTC contract for him.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

With the expansion draft looming I doubt it. My guess is a two year deal here or somewhere else. Then he won't need to be protected in the draft. 

Problem with that is that negotiations aren't one sided. The player/agent get their say too. And should he actually reach free agency they're not with only one team either.

Some GM will cave and offer him 4-5 years, ED be damned.