The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

11 hours ago, khay said:

Fair point. Hopefully Baumgartner will not be re-signed.

Pretty sure Edler would sign 1 year for 2-3 mil. That makes sense if he plays 15-18 mins and shares time with OJ/Rathbone, but yes, it makes no sense if he's still relied upon for 20-25 mins a night. Moving QH to the right side would definitely fix a lot of problems as Myers/Hamonic are ok for 2RD and 3RD.

I like Edler, and he's been a solid d-man. But, he's lost a step. And he's not making up for it by positioning. He's still a shot blocking machine. 

But the league is getting faster, shouldn't we have d-men that can keep up with the pace?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like Edler, and he's been a solid d-man. But, he's lost a step. And he's not making up for it by positioning. He's still a shot blocking machine. 

But the league is getting faster, shouldn't we have d-men that can keep up with the pace?

I would like one more year for OJ to get comfortable as 4-6D and on the PK and for Rathbone to be brought along without pressure, so Edler for one more year is fine as long as the coaches don't play him 20+ mins a night. Personally I would focus on fixing the right side D, and if that means trading Schmidt it makes even more sense to keep Edler around. But yes, Edler lost a step this year (while still being valuable for the PK and shutdown role) and no, he's not part of our future more than 1 or max 2 years.

Edited by J-P

9 hours ago, J-P said:

I would like one more year for OJ to get comfortable as 4-6D and on the PK and for Rathbone to be brought along without pressure, so Edler for one more year is fine as long as the coaches don't play him 20+ mins a night. Personally I would focus on fixing the right side D, and if that means trading Schmidt it makes even more sense to keep Edler around. But yes, Edler lost a step this year (while still being valuable for the PK and shutdown role) and no, he's not part of our future more than 1 or max 2 years.

I think there's a RHD-man that'll be available that cost around 2 mil (hopefully less) that can effectively cover what Eddy did last season. Rathbone and Olli will cover  the LD side more effectively before mid season next year. At less cost. Time to move on , I do really wish he'd got that 100th goal though. 

On 5/25/2021 at 8:33 PM, Dannydog said:

I think there's a RHD-man that'll be available that cost around 2 mil (hopefully less) that can effectively cover what Eddy did last season. Rathbone and Olli will cover  the LD side more effectively before mid season next year. At less cost. Time to move on , I do really wish he'd got that 100th goal though. 

You need more than 6 legit NHL D IMO. Especially since a couple of ours are still very green kids (and none of whom are remotely ready to play the hard minute role Edler does)

Hamonic, a trade, or otherwise, we need the right D you mentioned. But we can still very much use a (reduced cap) Edler, ideally platooned with OJ and Rathbone.

That said, he's probably the last/a lower item on the to do list this summer. Way bigger fish to fry first with Hughes and Petey's contracts, the ED, trying to leverage the ED to trade for better F's and D to protect, buy out/ terminate Virtanen and maybe Eriksson, the draft, sort out what's happening with Beagle and Roussel (both on LTIR?), see if you can't move some LTIR for a player from a team needing to clear cap (Ferland for Palat or similar?), Find a bottom 6 C, etc, etc. 

Once all/most of that is taken care of we'll have a better picture on what we can afford for Edler and he can decide if he wants to come back under those terms. If not, we'll still need to sign another veteran LD IMO. In no way should Juolevi or Rathbone simply be handed those roster spots.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:In no way should Juolevi or Rathbone simply be handed those roster spots.

To be honest, I think Juolevi has already EARNED his spot on the 3rd pairing, and even JR has shown enough to be given a chance in the top 6.

That said, I do think Edler back on a much reduced cap would be beneficial. But ONLY if Green is going to reduce Edler’s 5 on 5 work load. I guess we’ll see what happens...

• Cheers 2

On 5/27/2021 at 9:03 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

To be honest, I think Juolevi has already EARNED his spot on the 3rd pairing, and even JR has shown enough to be given a chance in the top 6.

That said, I do think Edler back on a much reduced cap would be beneficial. But ONLY if Green is going to reduce Edler’s 5 on 5 work load. I guess we’ll see what happens...

Benning just eluded to this in an interview with dhaliwal saying that green likes to play vets over prospects. I think if Edler signs the same thing will happen. But Edler doesn't have it for those minutes, and it will go right back to taking a string of penalties because he isn't fast enough. Gotta give the guys the chance to prove it. Both olli and rathbone can exit or make passes out of our D zone with much more efficiency and reliability. Far far less icings or intercepted passes then what eddy offered up . lets not start on the  offensive side of his game . There will be bad plays made ,mistakes on coverage but this is pushing our future defensemen not relying on the past. Pick up another defensive dman if we need to help shelter them while they master their craft. Eddy wont sign for less than 2 mil in my opinion, there will be a few more capable short term guys available that will sign for less or the same during the off season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/28/2021 at 7:47 PM, Dannydog said:

Benning just eluded to this in an interview with dhaliwal saying that green likes to play vets over prospects. I think if Edler signs the same thing will happen. But Edler doesn't have it for those minutes, and it will go right back to taking a string of penalties because he isn't fast enough. Gotta give the guys the chance to prove it. Both olli and rathbone can exit or make passes out of our D zone with much more efficiency and reliability. Far far less icings or intercepted passes then what eddy offered up . lets not start on the  offensive side of his game . There will be bad plays made ,mistakes on coverage but this is pushing our future defensemen not relying on the past. Pick up another defensive dman if we need to help shelter them while they master their craft. Eddy wont sign for less than 2 mil in my opinion, there will be a few more capable short term guys available that will sign for less or the same during the off season.

Ditto - just a matter of time, that Edler is coming back and OJ will be riding the press box bus or the bus to Abbotsford.

15 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto - just a matter of time, that Edler is coming back and OJ will be riding the press box bus or the bus to Abbotsford.

If Vcr drafts another LHD the opportunity for OJ will likely slide again. Already Rathbone has vaulted over him. I tend to think the opportunity go get some thing back for OJ is disappearing fast

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

If Vcr drafts another LHD the opportunity for OJ will likely slide again. Already Rathbone has vaulted over him. I tend to think the opportunity go get some thing back for OJ is disappearing fast

OJ will take on a lot of the Edler minutes next season.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ will take on a lot of the Edler minutes next season.  

That would be good should it happen. As long in the tooth that Edler may be he's still ahead of Juolevi and I don't see Green as a Juolevi fan. Juolevi could do a lot to help himself if he manages more upper body strength. Edler can still manhandle opponents, that helps a lot

Edited by Fred65

47 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah, his development seems to had stalled and if he gets traded - I hope he lives up to that #5 selection; I still think he can be an NHL player in the right system, perhaps he is just not a fit in Greens system like JV.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

15 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That would be good should it happen. As long in the tooth that Edler may be he's still ahead of Juolevi and I don't see Green as a Juolevi fan. Juolevi could do a lot to help himself if he manages more upper body strength. Edler can still manhandle opponents, that helps a lot

OJ was starting to take on those Edler minutes, but Covid got him really bad.  Lost a lot of weight.  He will be ready to go in October.  I think we resign Hamonic and our D is this:

Hughes Schmidt

Bone Myers

OJ Hamonic

PP guys, PK guys, and 5 on 5 guys.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

OJ was starting to take on those Edler minutes, but Covid got him really bad.  Lost a lot of weight.  He will be ready to go in October.  I think we resign Hamonic and our D is this:

Hughes Schmidt

Bone Myers

OJ Hamonic

PP guys, PK guys, and 5 on 5 guys.  

Quite honestly I'm surprised you don't have  a slot for Rathbone, to me he's the best current prospect of all of them. He's a gem especially when you think he was a taken in the 4th round. IMO he's vaulted over OJ

On 5/30/2021 at 1:58 PM, Fred65 said:

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

I'm all over Edler on 1 year deals in the 1.5-2.5 range, I want guys like Rathbone and OJ to take the spot from Eddy and not be gifted. Injuries are inevitable and you need solid D who can step in the line-up and play legit minutes, doesn't hurt to have some depth. Not to mention the fact that Edler on a discount gives us some extra cap to play witth

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, logic said:

I'm all over Edler on 1 year deals in the 1.5-2.5 range, I want guys like Rathbone and OJ to take the spot from Eddy and not be gifted. Injuries are inevitable and you need solid D who can step in the line-up and play legit minutes, doesn't hurt to have some depth. Not to mention the fact that Edler on a discount gives us some extra cap to play witth

tenor.gif

Only alternative would be that we target and acquire a guy like Mayfield and move Schmidt to the left.

Hughes, Hamonic

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers

Or...

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Mayfield

Juolevi/Rathbone, Myers

On 5/27/2021 at 6:03 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

Tell that to Travis Green.:ph34r:

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Tell that to Travis Green.:ph34r:

Only reason he wasn't playing was cap issues, and then as widely reported, Covid issues where he lost close to 15 pounds. He'll be a mainstay on the defense next season.

As much as I'd like to see Edler finish his career here, Benning has a team to run and build. If Edler has played his last game as a Canuck, I'm okay with that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone back and forth on whether we should sign Edler or not.

I really think we need to move on, but at the same time he was still one of our best D and the only LD really capable of penalty killing.  He should also come at a reasonable bargain.

Barring a trade where we get a younger, better version (which I don’t know we can afford), I think we can leverage Edler’s over 35 status to give him a performance bonus contract.

We could sign him to a really low base contract like $1.5 million and then add about that much again in performance bonuses.  It specially helps us in that we can push those bonuses into the following year to get beyond our cap crunch this coming season.  That gives us an experienced hand for very little money.

• Cheers 2