The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

On 3/28/2021 at 11:41 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

I think the gist of what you are saying will happen once the Canucks are past the trade deadline. You will see a number of veterans especially on the D; get rotated in and out of the remaining games in order to give the up and coming players a taste of the NHL and also to better evaluate where they are at development wise.

LOL.  No pressure there then for the prospects

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

LOL.  No pressure there then for the prospects

The way things are going for the Canucks lately; the players, let alone the prospects, will be lucky to see any games for some time. If they do decide to try and carry on this waste of a season and try and fit in all of the postponed games too, then it will most likely be a mix of both prospects and NHL players.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

And I hope our preference is to retain him. I wanna see my dude hit 1k games in a Canucks uniform. 

He won't be making 6M, but I think there's room for him here yet. A lot depends on how/if we move cap out, who's taken in the expansion draft, and what he's willing to re-sign for. It won't be peanuts, but it won't be 5-6M either. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

And I hope our preference is to retain him. I wanna see my dude hit 1k games in a Canucks uniform. 

He won't be making 6M, but I think there's room for him here yet. A lot depends on how/if we move cap out, who's taken in the expansion draft, and what he's willing to re-sign for. It won't be peanuts, but it won't be 5-6M either. 

$2.5M with NTC seems fair to both sides.  I wouldn't be giving him multi year contracts at this stage though.

47 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

$2.5M with NTC seems fair to both sides.  I wouldn't be giving him multi year contracts at this stage though.

I would be quite happy with this kind of deal.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be surprised if either side pushed for a multi-year deal tbh, I can see Edler wanting to go year by year til he retires. 

Short of playing in Sweden, I just can't imagine him having much interest in playing elsewhere at this stage in his career. He's been here through the highs and the lows, if he'd had interest in joining a contender he could have allowed himself to be traded during our down years. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Short of playing in Sweden, I just can't imagine him having much interest in playing elsewhere at this stage in his career. He's been here through the highs and the lows, if he'd had interest in joining a contender he could have allowed himself to be traded during our down years. 

He didn't want to uproot his family before Covid, and I doubt the pandemic changed that mindset for him.  I'll be disappointed if he doesn't retire a Canuck.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Hopefully the Canucks will just let him keep playing until he himself wants to retire, assuming the contract is reasonable.

I don't mind if he does what Linden did, just took a league minimum contract and played in a depth/leadership role.  

He really has slowed down during this season, not just with his skating but his stick-work and mistakes. To start the season IMO he was our best defender, now he's looking his age a bit. I hope they keep him around but as a MUCH reduced role. Something like this would be nice to start next season:

Hughes (6.75M) - Schmidt (6M)

Juolevi (1M) - Myers (6M)

Edler (2.5M)  - Hamonic (2M)

Chatfield

Rathbone

PP - Hughes pretty much the whole time, bit of Myers time on the 2nd unit

PK:

Edler - Myers

Schmidt - Hamonic

Slowly work Juolevi into that rotation as he looked good on the PK during his time

Minutes-wise, we could really aim to get an even spread across the 6 guys, of course depending on PP/PK split, but on average:

Hughes - 21-22 minutes

Schmidt - 20-21 minutes

Myers - 22 minutes

Hamonic - 20 minutes

Edler - 18 minutes

Juolevi - 17 minutes

By that standing, Hamonic's technically in our top-4 so he deserves a bit of a pay-rise and will hopefully take it. We keep Juolevi on a bit of a bridge deal, 1M x 1 or 2 years if he'll take it because we need to see where he's at with some more games. Edler gets a nice 5th defenceman spot (but still #1 on the PK) so deserves 2-2.5M x 1 or 2 year deal, maybe 1 year and take it year by year, and eventually Chatfield/Rathbone will squeeze in with some injuries.

• Cheers 1

Although he is obviously not the player he recently was, I agree we should re-sign Edler if he is willing to take such a cap friendly salary. I fear it might be shocking to him to go from 6 to 2.5, but combined with his desire to stay in Vancouver maybe something can be made to work like that. 

I also agree that his role should be reduced further - though I'm not certain Juolevi is there quite yet to get 2nd pairing minutes from the start.

As far as the right side goes, I feel Hamonic is a good solution if he wants to stay for cheap, but I can't help thinking that Tryamkin brings even more to the table, and an Edler Tryamkin pairing can double as a pretty effective shutdown pairing.

Hughes (6.75M) - Schmidt (6M)

Juolevi (1M) - Myers (6M)

Edler (2.5M)  - Tryamkin (2M)

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Although he is obviously not the player he recently was, I agree we should re-sign Edler if he is willing to take such a cap friendly salary. I fear it might be shocking to him to go from 6 to 2.5, but combined with his desire to stay in Vancouver maybe something can be made to work like that. 

I also agree that his role should be reduced further - though I'm not certain Juolevi is there quite yet to get 2nd pairing minutes from the start.

As far as the right side goes, I feel Hamonic is a good solution if he wants to stay for cheap, but I can't help thinking that Tryamkin brings even more to the table, and an Edler Tryamkin pairing can double as a pretty effective shutdown pairing.

Hughes (6.75M) - Schmidt (6M)

Juolevi (1M) - Myers (6M)

Edler (2.5M)  - Tryamkin (2M)

Only problem is that Hughes-Schmidt isn't a cohesive pairing IMO. Both are better off with a stable defensive partner with some size.

• Huggy Bear 1

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only problem is that Hughes-Schmidt isn't a cohesive pairing IMO. Both are better off with a stable defensive partner with some size.

True enough. 

Tryamkin would certainly ensure no liberties were taken with Quinn, if nothing else...

27 minutes ago, kloubek said:

True enough. 

Tryamkin would certainly ensure no liberties were taken with Quinn, if nothing else...

As much as I'm looking forward to the big guy coming back, I'm not sure he's got the overall ability to play at that level, with Hughes. He's a solid add as a defensive bottom 4 guy with size, but with our top offensive D...?

Hamonic really is likely our best fit there (or Larsson or Savard who are also pending UFA's this summer). There's also the slim possibility Jim's able to pull off another Schmidt type larceny and trade for a solid RHD ahead of the ED.

Of course that begs the question of where everyone fits in next year. Or do we even bring Edler back with our crowded left side? Some of this likely gets answered after the ED... Particularly if we expose and lose Myers.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I might add... there really is no pressure on them once the team is out of the playoffs. My guess is that Green would just tell them to go out there and play their game and enjoy the moment.

I tend to think that it might well be a turn point for their respective careers

• 5 weeks later...