The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

What poll are you talking about? I mentioned any number of times in the long-running 2017 draft thread that I was for Juolevi with Sergachev as a nearly equivalent pick once we knew we were picking 5th. I was for Dubois over Tkachuk certainly before that.

Tkachuk is his own set of problems. Maybe he's not at the level of Marchand, or Torres, or anyone else similar, but whatever positives he brings definitely come with a set of negatives. It was far from certain that he'd even bring the positives he has so far, so he was a terrible decision at the time.

I remember MT's skating was his knock at the draft. Speed wasn't there. Looks fine now. Hopefully Gadjovich can improve in the same way.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Battle is the key word, I think he would do well to adjust to the NA pro game in Utica, learn the pro-style and come in stronger, and learn to play his heavier weight, especially his crease play. He can run the PP in Utica then be ready the following season. We'll be adding more of our core youth by then too. And hopefully pushing for a playoff spot. 

Plus we'll have Tavares and Tryamkin to help. :)

Ya I agree a season in Utica could be beneficial but I can see him cracking our lineup out of camp. I'm still on the fence. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2017 at 10:30 PM, jking said:

Who'd you vote for in the poll.

What poll are you talking about? I mentioned any number of times in the long-running 2017 draft thread that I was for Juolevi with Sergachev as a nearly equivalent pick once we knew we were picking 5th. I was for Dubois over Tkachuk certainly before that.

Tkachuk is his own set of problems. Maybe he's not at the level of Marchand, or Torres, or anyone else similar, but whatever positives he brings definitely come with a set of negatives. It was far from certain that he'd even bring the positives he has so far, so he was a terrible decision at the time (and still is with our history).

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

bust, should of taken Sergachev or Tkachuk

I was a Sergachyov guy, but Juolevi is far from a bust!  Watching him closely in the WJC has made me even more confident about him being successful in the NHL.  

The draft is over.... time to support this player in his development.  He will be a good player for us for a lot of years.  Looking at this years Canuck team shows me how important it is to a team to have NHL caliber defencemen.

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate
  • Upvote 2

I remember wanting Dubois so bad and was absolutely livid when CBJ took him at 3rd. I had Tkachuk and Juolevi about the same and was leaning towards Juolevi because he was the top rated defenseman of the draft and he was supposed to go anywhere from 5th-9th overall. top rated defenseman vs 4th or 5th best forward (my mindset back then).

I'm still not losing sleep over this pick and probably won't. Still 19 years old and has shown glimpses of the kind of player he can be. His ability to find guys with that first pass and vision is outstanding and a lot of people are forgetting all those sick no look cross ice passes he does and it takes a lot of skill to do that. Very smooth skater, calm skater and excellent in his own zone.

It's not like he's NOT producing in every where he's been. 14 points in 20gp in the liiga putting again historic numbers for U19 player in that league. 42 points in 58GP in both OHL years. I'm not gonna go crazy over his production at the World Juniors (2 assists in 4gp thus far). 

Tkachuk would have been nice and there's no denying that if he were a Canuck all of this talk about him being a 'dirty playe'r would not even be discussed at all. Kesler and Burrows were just as bad if not worse especially Kesler (who's one of my favourite canucks all time) yet I can't seem to remember anyone talking down on them when they were canucks. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 12/31/2017 at 12:21 PM, aGENT said:

I was, and continue to be, extremely pro Juolevi. He's going to be a hell of a D in a few years. 

FTR I would have loved to have picked up another top 10 pick and grabbed Sergachev as well. But I still would have taken OJ first. 

I tried not to oversell your interest in my post earlier, but there you go, showing me up! Yup, we had the same idea. Forget Chychrun, forget getting two picks and moving up, we both would have been quite happy to grab Juolevi at 5 and steal a pick not too long after to grab Sergachev.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I tried not to oversell your interest in my post earlier, but there you go, showing me up! Yup, we had the same idea. Forget Chychrun, forget getting two picks and moving up, we both would have been quite happy to grab Juolevi at 5 and steal a pick not too long after to grab Sergachev.

Yup, would have loved both in our pool. But still would have taken Juolevi first and Sergachev making TBL in a sheltered, offensive role sooner doesn't change that or surprise me. Sergachev always had more NHL ready size and I always expected Juolevi to take 2-4 years.

• Upvote 1

He better be worth the wait. In his peer group there will have been been kids making an impact for three years by the time he takes a regular, meaningful shift. 

Thats quite the layaway program. 

Keep the minuses coming guys. Don’t lets facts Trump your feelings here! Too funny 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

If he becomes a 'Hamhuis' (or a Chris Tanev with more size and offense for that matter), that's a pretty 'impactful and difference making player' fwiw. 

And yes, 'pretty good' for a 5th overall pick. 

We certainly don't have anyone the caliber of Hedman on our team but we have a LOT of 2nd/3rd pairing depth. Just because our team isn't very good doesn't mean it would be easy to beat all that depth as a 19 year old.

TBL however is pretty shallow past their top 4. Their 1st pair is certainly worlds better than ours but after that there's a lot more room for a kid to make their D core. Especially in a sheltered offensive role on an otherwise deep and talented team.

It's not as simple as 'Juolevi can't even make a bad team'.

K

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He better be worth the wait. In his peer group there will have been been kids making an impact for three years by the time he takes a regular, meaningful shift. 

Thats quite the layaway program. 

Dmen take longer to develop. Especially more so then top 10 forwards. If you’re undersized as a forward you can make due with speed and skill which Is usually why these forwards were ranked so high to begin with. As a dman you gotta be able to fight back with these big NHLers and hold your own in board play. Sergachev was a man child and Chychrun was pretty well conditioned himself. Those two were touted as having more NHL ready bodies over Juolevi.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Next year, after we move MDZ at the 2019 TDL. 

Yeah. I would like us to keep Del Zotto but that timeline sounds about right. I think he will compete for a spot next season. I am imagining he will be placed in Utica to start the season unless he outright steals a spot.  Then we will likely see him back up like we did Stecher.  First or likely 2nd call up maybe with a short stint until December or January likely minimum.  Green may want to bake him though. Stecher was undeniable if Olli can be too maybe we will see him sooner.  I'd like to see him get a short stint in Utica if possible before coming to Vancouver. Just to get adjusted to being back in NA living as a pro. 

40 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Dmen take longer to develop. Especially more so then top 10 forwards. If you’re undersized as a forward you can make due with speed and skill which Is usually why these forwards were ranked so high to begin with. As a dman you gotta be able to fight back with these big NHLers and hold your own in board play. Sergachev was a man child and Chychrun was pretty well conditioned himself. Those two were touted as having more NHL ready bodies over Juolevi.

Yeah Sergachev was like 200 pounds when he was drafted.  He is a big boy.

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

I remember wanting Dubois so bad and was absolutely livid when CBJ took him at 3rd. I had Tkachuk and Juolevi about the same and was leaning towards Juolevi because he was the top rated defenseman of the draft and he was supposed to go anywhere from 5th-9th overall. top rated defenseman vs 4th or 5th best forward (my mindset back then).

I'm still not losing sleep over this pick and probably won't. Still 19 years old and has shown glimpses of the kind of player he can be. His ability to find guys with that first pass and vision is outstanding and a lot of people are forgetting all those sick no look cross ice passes he does and it takes a lot of skill to do that. Very smooth skater, calm skater and excellent in his own zone.

It's not like he's NOT producing in every where he's been. 14 points in 20gp in the liiga putting again historic numbers for U19 player in that league. 42 points in 58GP in both OHL years. I'm not gonna go crazy over his production at the World Juniors (2 assists in 4gp thus far). 

Tkachuk would have been nice and there's no denying that if he were a Canuck all of this talk about him being a 'dirty playe'r would not even be discussed at all. Kesler and Burrows were just as bad if not worse especially Kesler (who's one of my favourite canucks all time) yet I can't seem to remember anyone talking down on them when they were canucks. 

Kesler and Burrows were as bad if not worse than Tkachuk!? You've got to be kidding dude give your head a shake.

Tkachuk has barely started his career in the NHL and has already sucker elbowed with intent to injure Doughty and had headbutted Scandella and slew footed another Kesler and Burrows have never even come close to playing that dirty!

Kesler and Burrows were no doubt aggravating players and definitely no angels and did things I'm not proud of but I have far more respect for those 2 than that dirty weasel Tkachuk. In all my years watching them I've never seen them really try to intentionally hurt anyone with cowardly cheap shots like Tkachuk has done in his short career!

If you think they're as bad or worse as Tkachuk man you're clueless.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Nuckhead76 said:

Lumme type of career I think he is going to have.

I remember Lumme well.  Hugely underrated.  I think we'd all be more than satisfied if Juolevi works out to be as good as Lumme.  Lumme had this quirk of skating a tiny bit back on his skates.   Always seemed to know what was going on all over the ice.  Only Reinhart and maybe Ohlund were as good.  Power play and shut down both, fantastic player and a good person too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I watched Olli for 2 periods against Slovakia and was watching him closely. Plus, all the highlights I saw from OHL, Finland and WJC. Couple observations:

-He is missing the first two steps, little bit quickness would do him good - there were situations were he was reaching for puck, instead of moving his feet

-Really good outlet pass, every pass/clearing has a purpose

-Not afraid to join the attack, even to lead it

-Huge PP awareness, passes that surprise the opposition, plus gets shots through

-Slovakia didn't really test Finland defense, however he didn't look out of position

Overall, I can see him as Tanev poor man in defense, but in offense, he is a "D" that we don't have at the moment. Imagine Juolevi passing to Pettersson that cross ice pass on PP and Pettersson one times that...

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Canucks team next year, with sheltered role at the start. Liiga is really hard for young D, especially escaping fore-checkers after a dump-in. 

• Upvote 4