The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

14 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

are you sure about that? I thought he could because he was actually on loan from his euro team to London and was exempt from that age 20 rule, or am I mistaken?

That was the initial thought after he was draftex, but Trevor cleared it up later that day.  He is not on loan and is not eligible for the AHL until after next season.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2017 at 6:26 PM, Sbriggs said:

Another year in junior is a waist, for him to improve in all those area's he must start playing with men like Jake is. If he goes back to junior then we'll probably have to wait a couple more years for him because he will still need a year maybe alittle less in Utica.

Because that worked oh so well for Virtanen.

• Upvote 1

Part of me hopes we send this guy to play in Europe next year. I don't want him to be eligible for the next expansion after Vegas, so delaying his pro start date, and giving him more development time seems wise. Plus Euro leagues finish early so he could come over and potentially play a few AHL games on a pro tryout basis.

3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Because that worked oh so well for Virtanen.

Maybe it is or maybe it isn't but comparing the 2 doesn't work.  Plus you can't say it won't work out for Jake, its still too early to say, I just want to give him the best chance to succeed.

Feel like this post is long overdue, just didn't really have time to get around to posting it.

I was able to see Juolevi play in Kingston a couple weeks back with a few friends and a pro scout. I'm sure many of you know I've been skeptical of Juolevi in the sense that I don't think he'll likely reach his top 2 potential.

He was very good that game, as some of the highlights showed, against a pretty weak Kingston team albeit. He was assertive, not aggressive unless he had to, and played really well with Van De Sompel. He should of had 4-5 points but he hit a crossbar and post I think. I still think he can work on his first few strides as it will make his transition game a lot more smooth and effective at the NHL level. We had really good seats, and for a guy who's 6' 3", he was VERY slender. To the point that you could mistake him as a first year OHL player.

I think he should be in London next year, echoing the sentiments above, so he can work on his strength, shot and mobility. I really like him playing with Van De Sompel because he is active on the blueline and gets Juloevi skating more, I notice sometimes he wants to beat you with the pass so often that he won't move his feet on the blueline and gets caught in a hit or pass deflection. That time and space is going to close quickly at the NHL level, so if he starts to move on the blueline better, he's gonna be that much more versatile and dynamic. 

• Upvote 2

I was able to catch most of today's game. Overall, Juolevi had a pretty ordinary game. He took a penalty in the 3rd that the Spitfires capitalized on (at least I'm pretty sure they did). Other than that, he was solid as usual. 

There were a couple of times that Juolevi made a play that his teammates weren't completely ready for. One time, Juolevi had the puck at the point. He loaded up the wrist shot, but at the last second put it to an open teammate who wasn't ready for it. I can't help but think that if it was Boeser he was passing it to it would've been buried. You can see that he likes to play the possession game in the offensive zone. He had at least one shift where they had some good zone time and he was making plays. Overall, pretty usual stuff for his standards. 

I dont watch every London game, but it seems that Juolevi's minutes were down from the last time I watched them play. I'm not sure if that's him just playing his quiet game or if he actually is having his ice time reduced. 

Also, the last game I watched Juolevi absorbed 2 pretty big hits. He took another decent sized check today. I know it's impossible to go the whole game with physical contact, but I would think that with his IQ, skating and pedigree he would be avoiding those big collisions for the most part. I'm not sure if he's only been hit like that 3 times all season and I just happened to see all 3, but it worries me that he could recieve a hit like that from a full sized NHL player. I hope he doesn't have an injury riddled career like Maatta has had so far. 

The commentators also compared is play style to Lidstrom, saying that he would never lay a big hit or a flashy goal, but the other team never seems to get any chances while he's on the ice. I know thay comparison has been run into the ground, but take it for what it's worth. 

Overall, a decent game for our prized Fin. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, wellnon said:

His offence has really slowed down.  Anyone have any idea why this might be? 

Have been thinking about this too, my thinking is London is so stacked with depth at every position that literally forward and dman gets a touch of the puck! They don't really have a go to guy but spread the wealth at all positions! 

1 minute ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Have been thinking about this too, my thinking is London is so stacked with depth at every position that literally forward and dman gets a touch of the puck! They don't really have a go to guy but spread the wealth at all positions! 

I sure hope you're right! His offence appears inconsistent to me but he has shown the ability to turn it on at times.  Hopefully he can put it all together and bring a strong two way game whenever he makes the NHL.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He's not that offensive of a player

Ya I was hoping he would offend more people on the ice. We've been lacking offensive players since Bieksa, Kesler and Burr left. Probably the most offensive players of the 2000's on the nucks at least? As long as he doesn't offend the refs then were good. That's where the old core crossed the line.

3 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

This kid is going to be so underwhelming in the pros. No it factor. Nothing exciting 

He doesn't have to be overwhelming to be a solid top pairing D. He needs to be effective and keep the puck out of our net.

I don't think we're ever going to see Tryamkin set the league on fire either for scoring, but he is showing all the signs of becoming a major force.

3 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

This kid is going to be so underwhelming in the pros. No it factor. Nothing exciting 

You know who is REALLY exciting though?

That Evander Kane kid.  

Seriously, you want the it factor go to a gap and watch teenagers croon over crappy sweat shop garments.  We don't want the "it factor" we want champions who do it on the ice shut their mouths and get ready for the next game.

• Upvote 1