The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 2017-03-07 at 11:59 AM, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

This kid is going to be so underwhelming in the pros. No it factor. Nothing exciting 

His extreme focus and quick decision-making will open up a whole new world for our more creative defenders, namely Troy Stecher.
If paired with Tryamkin, his positioning and reliability allows the tram to play more physically and take more risks that way.

Olli solidifies our team. He is a glue player.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

That looks a lot like Dahlen's goal the other day lol

Those types of goals occur a lot in junior. 

Edited by Odd.

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hasn't really improved that much since last season. Probably gonna need another season of junior and then a season in the AHL.

He will be playing pro next year. If only as a bit of a publicity stunt. My guess is in the A with regular callups

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

He will be playing pro next year. If only as a bit of a publicity stunt. My guess is in the A with regular callups

He's not allowed to be in the A next season.  It's either with the Canucks or his junior club.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Canucks or back with the Knights.

Doubt they force him into the lineup instead of sending him back to junior. I think they learned their lesson with Virtanen.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hasn't really improved that much since last season. Probably gonna need another season of junior and then a season in the AHL.

I need to see development camp and training camp. He just looks so bored that this last game he was basically a 3rd forward. He pivots back out to defense very smoothly and it takes no time to transition.I have no doubt that he can play in the NHL next year if there's a spot for him. Are there any spots for the kids?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He's not allowed to be in the A next season.  It's either with the Canucks or his junior club.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Doubt they force him into the lineup instead of sending him back to junior. I think they learned their lesson with Virtanen.

Oh ya forgot about that. Dumb rule haha I guess it will depend on his training camp but I won't be surprised if he makes it, especially when Benning trades one of our Defenseman. Im guessing Edler Tanev Sbisa or Hutton. Stetcher and Tryamkin should be untouchable and I doubt he trades Guddy(unless Guddys asking for more money then he's worth)

On 2017-03-07 at 3:46 PM, Warhippy said:

You know who is REALLY exciting though?

That Evander Kane kid.  

Seriously, you want the it factor go to a gap and watch teenagers croon over crappy sweat shop garments.  We don't want the "it factor" we want champions who do it on the ice shut their mouths and get ready for the next game.

We need to stop taking the moral high ground considering Evander has 24 goals in 55 games. 

The Canucks are definitely not in the position to turn away a player of his quality should the opportunity arise. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

We need to stop taking the moral high ground considering Evander has 24 goals in 55 games. 

The Canucks are definitely not in the position to turn away a player of his quality should the opportunity arise. 

Agreed, for the right price he's worth acquiring. Id say we need a centre more though. Wouldn't be surprised to see Benning put a big package together for Duchene or another quality centre. Hutton-Lockwood and a second?

Edited by RetroCanuck

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Agreed, for the right price he's worth acquiring. Id say we need a centre more though. Wouldn't be surprised to see Benning put a big package together for Duchene or another quality centre. Hutton-Lockwood and a second?

Simple solution, wait till next summer (2018), and sign him as a UFA.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Simple solution, wait till next summer (2018), and sign him as a UFA.

if we can draft a high quality centre this draft and sign Kane next year, this organization will start to be competitive again. With Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton and Juolevi holding down the defensive side of things and maybe draft another high offensive defensemen in the 2nd round this year as well. It would be an impressive little turn around after the Sedin departure. 

I do think Juolevi is the type of player that excels with high end talent around him. He is more of a cerebral play maker and needs teammates that can read the developing plays at a high level. I still think he should be left in the OHL until he can dominate on his own though. It will be interesting to see how he performs next camp. 

Edited by HomeBrew

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

i'd agree with this. i think if juolevi doesn't look like he can compete and earn a spot in the line up, he'll be sent down to junior to continue to work on his game. and once his season is done with the Knights, will probably be sent to the AHL to continue with Utica's run. 

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Higher PPG on an inferior team, in a more defensive role while babysitting a rookie. If that's 'not improving much', I hope he continues to 'not improve much'.

12 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I need to see development camp and training camp. He just looks so bored that this last game he was basically a 3rd forward. He pivots back out to defense very smoothly and it takes no time to transition.I have no doubt that he can play in the NHL next year if there's a spot for him. Are there any spots for the kids?

Only way IMO is if we move Hutton. That could see him on the 3rd pair with either Tryamkin or Gudbranson (depending on if we move one of Edler/Tanev/Sbisa as well).

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

A full year older with almost the exact same ppg, still playing on the second highest scoring team in the OHL and their winning percentage as a team isn't far off from last years either.  He was expected to take a big jump this year but hasn't, he is "used in a more defensive role" because he has been passed by two other defenceman on the offensive depth chart, and that's not a good sign for us at all.  He is being badly outplayed by Mete who was drafted the same year but 95 picks later

I have been reading these kinds of reports about Olli too.  hopefully he transitions to the NHL.

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

A full year older with almost the exact same ppg, still playing on the second highest scoring team in the OHL and their winning percentage as a team isn't far off from last years either.  He was expected to take a big jump this year but hasn't, he is "used in a more defensive role" because he has been passed by two other defenceman on the offensive depth chart, and that's not a good sign for us at all.  He is being badly outplayed by Mete who was drafted the same year but 95 picks later

Badly outplayed by Mete is a bit of an over reaction. 

I don't think many people ever expected Juolevi to take a big jump in offensive production, sure some people hoped he would because if he can put up big numbers in Junior than he could maybe be a #1 guy in the NHL. But thats a stretch for Juolevi with his skill set. Most people expect him to be a good #2 or excellent 2nd pairing guy like Dan Hamhuis, which he is still projecting to be exaclty that. I wouldn't call him a dissapointment.

That said whether the player he will become will be more valuable than Tkachuk is a worthy arguement

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

They rely heavily on Mete, he is their big minute muncher.  They also had to bring in another offensive defenceman in Van De Sompel at the deadline because they weren't getting enough from the back end.  He's a proclaimed puck moving, Two way defenseman, why wouldn't he be expected to take a jump offensively?   In fact, any player with that pedigree should be expected to take a big jump.

Other than Doughty and Ekblad, aren't most of the elite dmen in the league drafted later than top 10, or even not in the first round? 

50 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Personally I would draft high end offensive forward with every 1st round pick I ever had unless I thought I had an absolute steal of a defenceman in my spot.  GMJB never seems to have a 2nd round pick to use so I guess he figured he should draft a defenseman while he can.. We may have missed the boat in 2015 with Hanifin, Werenski and Provorov all going in the top 10.  3 studs.  

Not sure how much we can do. We drafted 23rd and got one of the top prospects not in the NHL right now. The way you worded it is if we passed all those players up.