The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

21 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

I hope the Canucks keep him around for a month or so. Even if he only plays the 9 games or whatever he should be around the team. 

I agree. Even if he's here for just a month and plays in 9 games then he gets NHL level coaching and training and get mentored from guys like Edler or Tanev while he's here. A small stint in the NHL is good for Juolevi as he gets an idea of what it takes to be a true professional in the NHL.

On 7/4/2017 at 3:15 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Juolevi does look like he means business this year but there are a slew of D. ahead of him now....

Not in terms of natural talent.   He is likely the most talented Dman in the entire Canuck organization.   

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

All would be good to see him make team this year , but I hope Jim is carefully patient with his development curve .This would not be the year to usher him into the NHL.

I would rather he play a year in Europe than play with current version of the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

As much as I want Juolevi to make the team, he hasn't even played against men yet in league competition. What's probably best for him is to play in Europe this year. Canucks will have to get by with:

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Wiercioch

Holm

Pedan

IMO, the only way Juolevi makes the team this year is if he shows he's ready, and the Canucks trade either Edler or Hutton.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

As much as I want Juolevi to make the team, he hasn't even played against men yet in league competition. What's probably best for him is to play in Europe this year. Canucks will have to get by with:

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Wiercioch

Holm

Pedan

IMO, the only way Juolevi makes the team this year is if he shows he's ready, and the Canucks trade either Edler or Hutton.

Agree completely 

23 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I thought Joulevi had signed a Canuck contract. If so I doubt he is playing in Euro. I see value in 9 NHL games this year and the balance of his season in London. He plays WJC for Finland and has another Mem Cup. That is a lot of hockey. Sets him up for a Canuck rookie season.   

2 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

The idea would be to loan him to a European club to play against professionals. Ollie is too advanced for juniors another year. 

I don't like the idea of him playing in Europe however I agree he has nothing more to learn in the ohl.  This stupid chl/nhl agreement strikes again. He'd be a perfect fit in Utica.

55 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I don't like the idea of him playing in Europe however I agree he has nothing more to learn in the ohl.  This stupid chl/nhl agreement strikes again. He'd be a perfect fit in Utica.

I feel like we say this about every prospect we have.

43 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It was nice to see Salo tuck him under his wing during development camp and I think he would get special attention that could benefit him greatly in the long run. I am with you on that deal that is forcing NHL teams to stunt a player's development to try to sell tickets in the CHL.

It is all about revenue so make a buyout clause for NHL teams that want their 19 year olds to graduate to the AHL. Make it expensive so that it's a rare thing and sell the CHL on the fact that it opens up spots for the 16 year olds to step up and develop. The owners and GMs should be pushing for some sort of change to that rule.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

The idea would be to loan him to a European club to play against professionals. Ollie is too advanced for juniors another year. 

If he earns A spot. I hope JB sticks to his word and makes room. Personally, I think JB is waiting to see how he does in the 9 games. If he earns A spot I think he will make A deal involving Edler. 

Nobody will convince me that he won't waive. The guy is A class act and when it comes down to it very few refuse A trade in the end. Especially when JB seems to go out of his way to send players to markets the players find appealing. Not some hole in the ground like Calgary or Edmonton. Put burr close to home Hanson in Cali. Dido with Bieksa. All guys CDC said would never waive. Oh and Garrison to tax-free Tampa JB is all class when it comes to dealing with his players.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, bp79 said:

If he earns A spot. I hope JB sticks to his word and makes room. Personally, I think JB is waiting to see how he does in the 9 games. If he earns A spot I think he will make A deal involving Edler. 

Nobody will convince me that he won't waive. The guy is A class act and when it comes down to it very few refuse A trade in the end. Especially when JB seems to go out of his way to send players to markets the players find appealing. Not some hole in the ground like Calgary or Edmonton. Put burr close to home Hanson in Cali. Dido with Bieksa. All guys CDC said would never waive. Oh and Garrison to tax-free Tampa JB is all class when it comes to dealing with his players.

CDC never said that Burr, Hansen, garrison and Bieska would never waive. Maybe a few guys said it but there were never reports that they were asked to waive and refused to like Edler.  

Edler is a notoriously shy person so it's very believable that he won't waive, basically don't get your hopes up. It's more likely Hutton gets traded to make room for Juolevi than Edler. 

If asked Edler will waive. Edler has been with this team for over a decade, he can see the direction the club is headed and as pointed to above, JB makes trades that seem to place players in good situations in other clubs. 

However Edler would be the prefect mentor for OJ, and he could take the harder minutes to allow OJ some room to grow and adjust to the league. 

OJ could overtake Hutton. Hutton will have to come into camp like a man on Fire. IMO OJ has thrown down a challenge and is doing exactly what he needs to do to

make the club this year. 

With a  young player as good as OJ doing everything he needs to to make the team, this puts Hutton on the hot seat. 

Hutton is the prefect guy to put into the second pairing for the next decade, but MDZ makes Huttom somewhat expendable if OJ wins a spot. 

Edler can mentor OJ and take the harder minutes.  OJ could go a long way to improving our PP and if paired 5v5 with Guddy, should get through the season without getting targeted. 

EmW

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/28/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects/

#3 Prospect: Olli Juolevi

Defense — shoots Left
Born May 5th, 1998 — Helsinki, Finland
Height 6’2″ — Weight 180 lbs [188 cm / 82 kg]
Drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the 1st round, #5 overall at the 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Juolevi matched his draft year stats with 10 goasl and 42 points in 58 games for the London Knights. He also put up three goals and eight points in 14 playoff games before the Knights lost to the eventual OHL Champion Erie Otters. Juolevi was also part of a disappointing Finland team at the World Juniors.

Skating

Juolevi’s strong two-way game is based on his strong skating ability. He has very good speed in both directions, and good acceleration. His pivots are crisp and his edge work is very solid. This allows him to quickly transition from offence-to-defence or vice-versa. This skating allows Juolevi to cover a ton of ice, and to be able to join the rush, or make pinches at the blueline and still get back defensively. Adding core strength would allow Juolevi to improve his balance and be stronger on the puck, as well as better at winning battles in the corners.

Offensive Game

Olli Juolevi helps to quarterback the Knights powerplay with good skating ability, a powerful slap shot, strong wrist shot, and very good passing skills. He has excellent vision and the shows the smarts to make the smart play, whether its in running the point on that powerplay or in starting the rush out of the London end of the rink. Juolevi walks the line well and opens up passing and shooting lanes with his agility and poise with the puck on his stick. He understands how to keep the puck low and on net in order to maximize his teammates ability to get tip-ins, screens and rebounds. In addition to making good breakout passes, he has the skating and puck handling skills to avoid the forecheck and start the play that way as well.

Defensive Game

On top of that, Juolevi looked great defensively in the OHL with strong positioning and being tough to beat one-on-one. He is very strong at protecting the middle of the ice, using his good footwork to keep himself between attacking forwards and the net.  He forces opponents to the outside against the rush, and keeps those cycling the puck to the boards. Juolevi has a quick stick, and uses it to poke the puck off of opponents sticks, and to cut down on passing lanes.

He isn’t one to throw big hits, but is willing to be as physical as necessary to defend against the cycle and to clear the front of the net. He could stand to bulk up a bit, which would help him to be stronger on the puck and better at board battles when he moves to the next level and faces bigger and stronger opponents than the teenagers he goes up against in junior hockey.

Outlook

Juolevi will go to training camp looking to make the Canucks roster. With the signing of Michael Del Zotto, he will need a really strong camp to earn a top six role this season. The Canucks may be planning to take it slow and let him continue to development. Reports out of Vancouver this week suggest that Juolevi could spend a season in Europe instead of going back to the OHL next year.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

The idea would be to loan him to a European club to play against professionals. Olli is too advanced for juniors another year. 

I can see the appeal of OJ playing against professionals. That said I prefer another year in London playing for Hunter. NHL quality coaching. He played OJ as his d-side #1 and then played him at both ends during the Mem Cup. Joulevi answered the bell both on the PP and PK. Many OHL teams play at a quasi pro level. The size of many of these players is incredible. 

To me hockey has always been more about limiting mistakes rather than pure offense. Joulevi's OHL career has covered the full range of the game. Because London will have a offensive players a year older I expect a more offensive game. Joulevi should end his OHL career with a well rounded game. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

CDC never said that Burr, Hansen, garrison and Bieska would never waive. Maybe a few guys said it but there were never reports that they were asked to waive and refused to like Edler

Where's these reports of Edler refusing to waive, and was it during the current regime?

• Upvote 1

Would be nice that if he doesnt beat out anyone for a top six role after pre season he goes straight to Europe...say like Sami Salo's team?...even holding for a nine game stint seems like counter productive as most likely they would stretch them out so he wouldnt get many repetitions to establish consistency.

He looked so bored in the OHL...he needs some stiffer competition go keep him on his toes.  He lacked intensity in some of the games I watched during the OHL playoffs.