The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 5 most hated Canucks of all time

Salacious Crumb

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I've always hated Burrows for these reasons but have been way to afraid to bring it up on here.

How can a man who plays in the NHL actually pull hair during a fight?

He has done tons of amazing things as a Canuck from clutch goals to community work but I just can't get behind a person who acts and plays like he does on the ice.

8 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I see so many putting Cloutier on their list but think about it Naslund never did play well when it mattered and they should be seen as the same!!

Cloutier won in the season to get us a good playoff spot

Naslund scored goals in the season

BOTH did crap in the playoffs and naslund did not do good interviews as the captain to answer questions when all other captains never turned their heads and not talked into the camera's!Henrik started doing this looking down cause he is frustrated!

Linden NEVER did that and why he is above them plus a lot more!!!

Naslund... Oh man give me a damn break. Did crap in the playoffs? When he was captain there was no salary cap and Vancouver wasn't a big money team. We faced beyond stacked teams the likes of the avs, wings who I think we're spending twice the cap we were at the time. Until the lockout he had no chance. 

95-96 (didn't watch so I'm not sure) 

2001 vs Avs was injured? 

2002 vs wings... He wasn't our highest scorer but yea again stacked unfair team we played against. 

2003 absolutely spectacular... Point per game, led our team only scored 100+ points to lead us into the playoffs... He goes to the west final and perhaps with the cup if the canucks had good goaltending 

2004, 9 points in 7 games, by far the best player on our team. Had the league not wrongfully took tuzzi out, you could argue canucks take the Flames spot and win the cup vs the bolts. 

Lock out 

Then 2007 his decline had begun... The lockout burned 1 year of likely 90-110 point season for him. He was never the same and sure he didn't have a great playoff that year 

Also leadership give your head a shake. Naslund is one of the most honest guys out there... Always led by example... Never hid from the media... Markus was pure class and a terrific captain. No Markus on the team, sedins don't develop into the super stars they did. 

I was done in this thread but I couldn't keep my mouth shut after someone said Naslund name. Absolutely garbage. 

FYI 36 points in 52 playoff games. 

There is no player or coach that I can say I truly hate but there are some that I lost respect for due to various reasons.

1. Anson Carter.

Carter was a great surprise when he ripped it up with the Sedins so my issue is not with his play. I lost respect for him when he was offered a fair short contract to prove his great season was not a fluke but he chose instead a shorter term deal to cash in for slightly more money.

2. Ryan Kesler. 

In his prime with the canucks he was one of my favourite players, a true warrior but the way he handcuffed the team when he demanded a trade left a sour taste in my mouth. I understand it was his right to request a trade and choose his team but he could have been more respectful and at least given Benning more time to get better value.

3. Mark Messier.

OK, admittedly I don't much remember his time with Vancouver so his inclusion to my list is purely based off what I have been told by others but even listening to how much he screwed up the team is worthy of disrespect. He not only mailed in his performance, and for a large salary, he also dismantled what made the team strong and put himself on top. 

4. Matthew Schneider.

At the time of the signing Schneider seemed like a great addition. Even at his age he still possessed the skill and experience to be a solid top 4 defenseman. His attitude quickly deteriorated by demanding top ice time and pp duties which drove him off the team in a short amount of time. No matter how much experience you have you have to earn your ice time which he clearly didn't intend to do.

5. Cody Hodgson.

I remember screaming at the tv when they said Hodgson had been traded for Kassian.  He was the first prospect in a long time who looked as if he might live up to his hype. To hear about all the whining and meddling from his family made me lose all respect for him. He had such promise only to throw it all away due to ego. No matter how great a player, it's a gift to play in the NHL not a right. Too bad he didn't learn that sooner.

Dan Cloutier. Worst let-down, mentally fragile, emotional, goalie the team ever had. I was upset at hearing they've hired him again.

Bryan Marchment. Made Ulf look like a clean player.

Bertuzzi. Cave man, somewhere close to Kassian-level stupid, but with a tendency to go offside/ take a bad penalty. Started the team's reputation/image smear campaign from the media.

Cooke. Repeated turtling in a Canucks jersey.

#1... Mike f-ing Gillis. If not for career years from half the team, his tenure would have been worse. Think on that. We are still recovering from him.

Honorable mention to Crow for not remembering Cloutier was in net every time they chose to give up odd-man rushes against due to his dumb systems. Worst tandem of system meets crap goalie ever. Cloutier was terrible, laterally, yet he was consistently facing 2, 3, 4-1's. That's on the coach.

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

I just moved in to Gibsons 3 weeks ago. I apologize for making you feel old. I myself feel like 2005 was only 5 years ago, when in reality it was 11.

Enjoy it there dude. I regret ever moving away. It's like a little piece of paradise up there.

Also, watch out for the Roberts Creek hippies. Most pretentious group of people you'll ever meet.

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

you know, this pre season game i went to with my buddy against the sharks, my buddy and i were offering our own commentary, and were like if someone made a bad play, we were like "what a ****in ball sack"  and i guess this mother had enough (we were surrounded by kids) and she demanded that we tone down our language, and i called her a skank and told her to get a baby sitter to babysit her stupid idiot kids. you can afford canucks tickets, you can afford a babysitter. get the **** out of here. surprisingly we werent kicked out of the building D: but i'm tired if this no fun zone that is rogers arena

Agreed. Went to the 6-3 against the Blackhawks last year and it felt like if you talked a five decibels above normal you were going to get kicked out. I mean trying to get rid of the rowdies before any possible fights break out or anything like that, but going to a game is about being a part of the moment and enjoying yourself. That arena really is a commentary on how the city is percieved.

16 hours ago, AriGold said:

First 2 game were Canucks hockey, all skill, Boston had no energy and lacked enthusiasm.

Game 1 Canucks + Boston = 10 PIMS

Game 2 Canucks + Boston = 28 PIMS

Then the big hit happened at the beginning of game 3 and it went from a skill game to a physical one which we weren't ready for. The next 2 games were overly physical/super agressive and the Canucks couldn't handle it. 

Game 3 Canucks + Boston = 145 PIMS

Game 4 Canucks + Boston = 66 PIMS

Can't forget this in game 6. Romo literally walked into the bear cave and poked the bear, the chaos that ensued lost us the series IMO.

Hamhuis getting hurt had more to do with the series loss than a late hit on Horton.

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i guess this mother had enough (we were surrounded by kids) and she demanded that we tone down our language, and i called her a skank.  get the **** out of here.

but i'm tired if this no fun zone that is rogers arena

Fun to you, is repeatedly shouting obscenities in front of kids in public places?

For this fun, you are reminded by a mother that this in inappropriate, so you tell her puck off, skank???

How fun it would have been for me, or any other man, to have been seated in reach of you, sparkle. We all have our cringe moments, from mornings after, but, dude... bad.

1 hour ago, JC2 said:

There is no player or coach that I can say I truly hate but there are some that I lost respect for due to various reasons.

1. Anson Carter.

Carter was a great surprise when he he ripped it up with the Sedins so my issue is not with his play. I lost respect for him when he was offered a fair short contract to prove his great season was not a fluke but he chose instead a shorter term deal to cash in for slightly more money.

2. Ryan Kesler. 

In his prime with the canucks he was one of my favourite players, a true warrior but the way he handcuffed the team when he demanded a trade left a sour taste in my mouth. I understand it was his right to request a trade and choose his team but he could have been more respectful and at least given Benning more time to get better value.

3. Mark Messier.

OK, admittedly I don't much remember his time with Vancouver so his inclusion to my list is purely based off what I have been told by others but even listening to how much he screwed up the team is worthy of disrespect. He not only mailed in his performance, and for a large salary, he also dismantled what made the team strong and put himself on top. 

4. Matthew Schneider.

At the time of the signing Schneider seemed like a great addition. Even at his age he still possessed the skill and experience to be a solid top 4 defenseman. His attitude quickly deteriorated by demanding top ice time and pp duties which drove him off the team in a short amount of time. No matter how much experience you have you have to earn your ice time which he clearly didn't intend to do.

5. Cody Hodgson.

I remember screaming at the tv when they said Hodgson had been traded for Kassian.  He was the first prospect in a long time who looked as if he might live up to his hype. To hear about all the whining and meddling from his family made me lose all respect for him. He had such promise only to throw it all away due to ego. No matter how great a player, it's a gift to play in the NHL not a right. Too bad he didn't learn that sooner.

Good list.

Very close to mine, however would change Kessler for Prust... Came to protect the youngsters, and just told them to fight for them selves... D1ck

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Fun to you, is repeatedly shouting obscenities in front of kids in public places?

For this fun, you are reminded by a mother that this in inappropriate, so you tell her puck off, skank???

How fun it would have been for me, or any other man, to have been seated in reach of you, sparkle. We all have our cringe moments, from mornings after, but, dude... bad.

minor quibble- Rogers arena is a private place.

1. John Tortorella

Easy to say now, but I kinda felt it from the day he was signed that it was going to go the way it went. Can't think of anyone else and no other season that seemed to mess with our guys as much as he did during his brief stint here.

2. Matt Cooke

I liked him when he came into the league. Played a hard and exciting kinda game. It went terribly wrong at some point and I've seriously disliked him more and more every year since he left. He kinda started with that ugly and dirty play the last couple of years here already. Right now I'd probably rank him top-5 dirtiest players in the league during the last 20 years.

3. Maxim Lapierre

What a douche. I'm so embarrassed that we went out and got such a player. Guys like this are why we have such a bad reputation.

4. Mike Keenan

Iron Mike and all, but there is something so wrong with this guy too. I just can't put my finger on it. Definitely not one of my favorites.

5. Raffi Torres

Never liked Raffi Torres either and I was very happy to see them both him and Lapierre signing elsewhere.

I had to go through the whole list of Canucks all-time players to come up with five names of guys that have played here that I disliked. I really have  hard time justifying to myself why I'd hate someone or dislike them. Just because they didn't prevail here doesn't count as reason to dislike in my books. Some guys that didn't make it work due to lack of effort kinda would make the list, but everyone is trying at this level. Except for Daigle.

Jan Bulis, Artem Chubarov, Vadim Sharifijanov, Denis Pederson, Shawn Antoski, Dana Murzyn or Jamie Huscroft probably weren't on my; I like -list, but not everyone an be there...

On 10/9/2016 at 5:37 PM, Bur14Kes17 said:

1. Messier

2. Kesler

3. Keenan 

4. Tortorella 

5. Dale Weise 

I am not very original. My list goes as follows:

1. Messier

2. Keenan

3. Tortorella

4. Cooke

5. Kesler

And I will throw in a (dis)honorable mention for Lapierre.

Hockey can be a dirty game... So I think kesler and burrows and ruttu and cooke help us stay competitive in a tough conference.. Torres was over board. The rest still had in some cases a huge upside.. Burr and kess saved games for us killing endless penalties. And always put 110% forward on the ice. 

Top 5 hated though;

Messier (please do I need a reason), Pyatt (big guy played like a big b!%@&) 

Cowen (tough guy...okay)

Fedorov (heard our radio guys say his name on the radio and thought it was his brother..)

Vey (played well once in a while.. But seemed to always be out O zone on PP.. Most guys never get as much a chance to succeed in their carreers as he did his first season. 

Archived