The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Martin Hanzal, Ryan White, 4th-round pick to Wild for Grayson Downing, 1st-round pick, 2nd-round pick, conditional pick

Looks like the Wild are a pretty stacked team. I'd put money on them to be the team that comes out of the West. They're better than Anaheim, IMO and not as old. 

Maybe they show interest in Miller for depth in goal(I doubt it, but maybe). They're stacked on D and Forward, but can Dubnyk get it done for them? I don't know, we'll see. 

10 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Dalpe got put on waivers today.... pay attention. 

I know but he was at practice today (see below) - that's why I wrote out of the lineup.  It sounds like Schroeder will be the extra and White will take his spot.  

A player can be put on waivers without being sent down immediately.  As they also brought in White - he'll probably be sent down unless they keep up 2 extra Fs.  Russo explained that they wanted to reset the waiver clock and not do it too close to the deadline.

15 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I know there has been a ton of talk in the media and on here for Benning to move people.  Benning has even said that he is asking all the NTC guys for lists and he may move a D too but how motivated is he really?  

For the trade deadline, if Benning moves Miller or Hansen, he will have to turn around and replace them before next season starts.  Burr?  Who knows.  But would he not be better to keep them UNLESS he gets a great offer?

I'm inclined to think that only Burrows gets moved and I wouldn't be surprised if he brings him back as a free agent on July 1.

Other players are more likely moved near the draft or July 1 imo

The fact is, LA may have simply preferred Bishop over Miller even if Jim was wiling to take a lesser deal (not sure how much lower you could go tho) just based on age.

Signing Miller as a FA was good "asset management". Signing Stecher as a FA out of college was good "asset management:". Giving up Hansen for nothing? Thats just stupid. 

Burr's salary is simply too high even at 50% retained, we probably won't move him.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Agreed, feel like this only has driven up the price for the UFA rentals...however because of Hansen's extra year term, might detract teams of paying high for fear of loss at the expansion draft.  If anything if a team trades for him. Hansen is likely just a rental for them.

I would argue that it would increase Hansens value as exposing g him will prevent one of their other players being taken OR Las Vegas takes the other player leaving Hansen as a replacement.

57 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather have it available.  That's the difference between Larsen and a legit NHLer.  No reason to destroy cap flexibility for more than one season just for the sake of making a trade.

Gillis crippled the team for a decade by retaining salary on Luongo instead of using the compliance buyout.

If 800.000 of cap hit a year is crippling them, what's that 6 Million a year for Ericksson doing to them? Thanks Jim lol

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I would argue that it would increase Hansens value as exposing g him will prevent one of their other players being taken OR Las Vegas takes the other player leaving Hansen as a replacement.

However, if a team really wanted to protect a player, it would come at a tolerable price of a high draft pick if they were to trade with Vegas.  Canucks are looking for a young prospect or young player in return for Hansen.  Harder to reconcile losing a player and then losing Hansen at the expansion draft, rather losing draft pick(s) is more palatable. 

Great deal for both teams. Minni really going for it and Arizona really tanking for the 1st overall, but stocking picks nicely. This is a classic rebuild and contending move and will be nothing but positive for both teams.

Downing isn't a bad prospect, bit old but almost a PPG in the AHL is decent. White hasn't been fantastic but gives the Wild some gritty depth if they need, a nice 13th man. 

Arizona really got a lot out of this trade, considering Hanzal is probably good for 20+ goals pace (top-6 gritty, two-way forward) but not good for very much longer. Rental forward + fringe gritty fringe NHLer for a 20-30 overall pick, 30-50 pick, conditional pick and B-grade prospect.

That's how you rebuild folks. Arizona will probably end up with a top-2 pick anyway, this Minnesota pick just gives them a free shot at a lurking star in the later picks of the first and second round.

50 minutes ago, mll said:

I know but he was at practice today (see below) - that's why I wrote out of the lineup.  It sounds like Schroeder will be the extra and White will take his spot.  

A player can be put on waivers without being sent down immediately.  As they also brought in White - he'll probably be sent down unless they keep up 2 extra Fs.  Russo explained that they wanted to reset the waiver clock and not do it too close to the deadline.

I see, what that tells me is that they "sent him to the minors" in case the trade didn't go through... then they could "recall him from the minors"

8 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Jeeze the Wild are stacked. 

The other Western teams may need to enter the arms race. 

and according to Eric Engels they might not be done .  Arizona has retained 50% on Hanzal so they still have some cap space.  

Archived