The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

7 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

NG will never be the player Travis green wants him to be. 

Goldys seemingly inability to even be effective offensively is due to the restrictions that have been put on him. This looks like lack of confidence but it isn't.

The ONLY way to deal with goldobin is to take the reigns off if him and let him play his game. 

Then, if you really can't handle his defensive deficiencies Travis, then at least NG will have points and some trade value. 

By the way, while all eyes are on guys like Goldy and Jake I submit that this is a big show me year for our coach.!!!

Now that Travis has a legit decent lineup ,  this team had better do well or TG might be the one on the block.  

You can't score if you can't get out of your own end.  No one is expecting a Selke candidate, but a consistent effort is a requirement.  Unfortunately, Goldobin didn't show a whole lot with his job on the line.  He got outplayed by not only Gaudette, but even guys like Graovac and Schaller looked more useful.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, he's gone IMO. Wouldn't mind him staying if Utica if he's willing to put the work in there. He's proven he's an AHL star of a level similar to Boucher, so he could still be very useful down there.

There's a lot worse options for a callup if injuries hit our top 6 hard.  I'm not 100% convinced he'll clear waivers though; Edmonton might be able to make use of him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You can't score if you can't get out of your own end.  No one is expecting a Selke candidate, but a consistent effort is a requirement.  Unfortunately, Goldobin didn't show a whole lot with his job on the line.  He got outplayed by not only Gaudette, but even guys like Graovac and Schaller looked more useful.

Is that why green put him out at end when game was on the line, made a great cross ice pass that almost set up ep. Along with when he set up ep in slot...he looked pretty good.

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yes.  Because he is out of his element. He seems to be one player that can't seem to adapt his game. So he's a little lost out there 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Goldy is not going to make the team and will likely get waived (and likely clear). But here is the issue with Goldy.  In order for him to be good, he needs to play with other high skilled talent.  He is not an energy guy, he’s a slow the game down and create scoring chance guy (very poor man’s Sedin).  So I don’t really feel he was put in a great position to showcase himself this training camp.  He was put with hard working grinders and looked very much like a passenger and out of place, but the few shifts he was brought up and played alongside Petey or on the top PP unit, he looked like a contributor.  We saw much of the same last year. It’s disappointing since he has a skill set that this team is really lacking, outside of EP we don’t have this type of hockey sense.  

So while I really don’t think he was given a fair shot, I do think he will get waived and I’m really hoping a team doesn’t claim him.  If a team does and is willing to put him in a position to showcase his skillset he does have the potential to be a highly effective producer.   

This is mainly on TG, who has decided not to put him in a position to succeed. It is the worst possible situation for a young developing player. I am thinking it would be better for him if he does get claimed.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Goldy is not going to make the team and will likely get waived (and likely clear). But here is the issue with Goldy.  In order for him to be good, he needs to play with other high skilled talent.  He is not an energy guy, he’s a slow the game down and create scoring chance guy (very poor man’s Sedin).  So I don’t really feel he was put in a great position to showcase himself this training camp.  He was put with hard working grinders and looked very much like a passenger and out of place, but the few shifts he was brought up and played alongside Petey or on the top PP unit, he looked like a contributor.  We saw much of the same last year. It’s disappointing since he has a skill set that this team is really lacking, outside of EP we don’t have this type of hockey sense.  

So while I really don’t think he was given a fair shot, I do think he will get waived and I’m really hoping a team doesn’t claim him.  If a team does and is willing to put him in a position to showcase his skillset he does have the potential to be a highly effective producer.   

He'll get waived and most likely get picked up.

He's got skill but some consistency issues (like all young players).

Pretty obvious by now that he cannot drive play.  That's not his game.  He is a complimentary top 6 winger.

Put in the right spot, he's a 40-50pt kind of guy.  Without the right linemates, he's more of a 30pt guy.

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

This is mainly on TG, who has decided not to put him in a position to succeed. It is the worst possible situation for a young developing player. I am thinking it would be better for him if he does get claimed.

This is mainly on NG who needs to show he's worth being given the opportunity to play with top players. Green last night again gave him opportunity on a line with both Gaudette at times (who was flying) and Pettersson towards the end of the game. As usual, he showed a couple of flashes but wasn't productive and was the same hit and miss in  his own end and with puck pursuit that keeps him from being an actual NHL level player.

AHL'er.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is mainly on NG who needs to show he's worth being given the opportunity to play with top players. Green last night again gave him opportunity on a line with both Gaudette at times and Pettersson towards the end of the game. As usual, he showed a couple of flashes but wasn't productive and was the same hit and miss in  his own end and with puck pursuit that keeps him from being an actual NHL level player.

AHL'er.

People need to get the "if he played with EP" out of their heads. EPs linemates are ferland and boeser.  Boeser has earned that spot. 

Of course goldy looked good with EP. So does erikksson. Not everyone nan play with him.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is mainly on NG who needs to show he's worth being given the opportunity to play with top players. Green last night again gave him opportunity on a line with both Gaudette at times and Pettersson towards the end of the game. As usual, he showed a couple of flashes but wasn't productive and was the same hit and miss in  his own end and with puck pursuit that keeps him from being an actual NHL level player.

KHL'er.

Fify. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I don’t know if I would go that far, every team has similar strategies. It’s really on goldy to roll with the punches.

It’s just the way the game is, very few players have there hands held to reach there full limits. Player development has a long ways to go in the nhl and it’s lagging way behind other industries simply because of the competition. It’s put up right now or see you later on to the next guy, same thing virtanen is going to be go through this year. Franchises have to be  cognizant on what’s best for the team vs the individuals.  

And while that does cost the league potentially missing a lot of high end talent who wind up stars in other leagues, they still have enough top end guys to keep this sport entertaining, so it’s justifiable. 

• Cheers 1

goldy mostly looked out of place in the preseason.. but tbh i don't think he was given much of a fair shot as he was played mostly like a 3rd or 4th liner.. you can't fit a square peg into a hole.. good luck to him wherever he ends up. i dont see why another team wouldn't take a chance on goldobin if he's going to go on waiver.. a free young former 1st rounder that have flashes of high end offensive skill. if you think Virtanen would be picked up if we put him on waiver i don't see why not for goldobin... if goldobin ends up gone.. then i guess officially we have gotten nothing for hansen and burrows lol or i should say we have gotten nothing for all the aging assets that we should have gotten rid of during the rebuild.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, BPA said:

He'll get waived and most likely get picked up.

He's got skill but some consistency issues (like all young players).

Pretty obvious by now that he cannot drive play.  That's not his game.  He is a complimentary top 6 winger.

Put in the right spot, he's a 40-50pt kind of guy.  Without the right linemates, he's more of a 30pt guy.

He’s very gagner esq. lots of talent and skill and could be a 50-60 point player with the right guys. 

@Alflives Exactly. Even if he does not get claimed off waivers, there is no scenario I see for him reporting in Utica. He'll definitely be looking for a deal back home in the KHL. I don't see him working out in the Canucks org anymore, unfortunately and that happens. To me, it's really a competition between him and Baertschi, and Baertschi comes out on top any day.

24 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

People need to get the "if he played with EP" out of their heads. EPs linemates are ferland and boeser.  Boeser has earned that spot. 

Of course goldy looked good with EP. So does erikksson. Not everyone nan play with him.

There’s a difference between looking good and being a contributor to the line. Eriksson with EP would be passenger. goldy while playing with EP, is able to carry his own weight and being an element to the line. 

Players and and skill sets all mesh differently. Put Henrik alone on a line with Sutter and virtanen and he also doesn’t look like he belongs. Give him some talent to work with and he’s an all star. 

This team is lacking skill hockey sense. Not many players on the roster can slow the game down.  EP is all we really have, Sven to a much lesser extent. That’s why mgmt really wants goldy to work out. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There’s a difference between looking good and being a contributor to the line. Eriksson with EP would be passenger. goldy while playing with EP, is able to carry his own weight and being an element to the line. 

Players and and skill sets all mesh differently. Put Henrik alone on a line with Sutter and virtanen and he also doesn’t look like he belongs. Give him some talent to work with and he’s an all star. 

This team is lacking skill hockey sense. Not many players on the roster can slow the game down.  EP is all we really have, Sven to a much lesser extent. That’s why mgmt really wants goldy to work out. 

Put henrik on a line with sutter and virtanen and you can still see where the skill is. 

Goldy apart from EP has been useless. Just like erikksson but significantly worse in his own end.

• Cheers 1

Watched the game last night and tried to be objective about Goldobin.  While I don't argue he's not always with the best linemates, I tried to view his overall play regardless of who else was on the ice.  What I saw, or rather didn't see, was that high motor hunger for the puck.  A couple of times I saw him going up the boards across the blue line into the offensive zone, losing the puck and then basically doing little to nothing to get it back.  I didn't see him hard on the backcheck when there was an odd man rush against us.   Those to me are the things that differentiate a player with talent and drive vs. a player with talent.  Does he have playmaking ability, sure.  The fact he could be so much better and actually contribute to the team earning wins is I believe what will be his downfall as others have indicated.  That drive earns one ice time and the respect of ones team mates.  I had hoped that EP's level of play and intensity might rub off on Nik, but not seeing it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1