The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Their is a need to sell tickets (through hope for a better future) though, so I can certainly see management promoting Pettersson.

Management won't risk short term ticket sales (the next 5 months), against years of solid ticket sales from having this kid here, when he's really ready to be here, phsically!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

Has anyone ever thought about having a potential Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser line? I have a feeling that Pettersson on the wing would be a good compliment with two-way centerman in Horvat and a goal scorer in Boeser. That would be helluva balanced line. 

Pettersson Horvat Boeser - You call it.

Above thread was created by fanfor42 earlier this year....

Lots of discussions regarding your thoughts. 

30 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser - You call it.

Above thread was created by fanfor42 earlier this year....

Lots of discussions regarding your thoughts. 

That would be a fabulous 1st line, but the 2nd will be a big drop off, since the team really doesn't have a proper offensive 2C at the moment. 

Pettersson hasn't been playing C (but for 1 game) in Sweden, so he probably will start out on the W in NA. I don't know if they would start him off on the 1st line though.  Whatever the case, I would like to see a big, gritty player on the same line. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That would be a fabulous 1st line, but the 2nd will be a big drop off, since the team really doesn't have a proper offensive 2C at the moment. 

Pettersson hasn't been playing C (but for 1 game) in Sweden, so he probably will start out on the W in NA. I don't know if they would start him off on the 1st line though.  Whatever the case, I would like to see a big, gritty player on the same line. 

Good point but having elite 1st line on the ice for 20 minutes gives the team a chance to win every night. I think that first line can probably score close to 80 maybe even 90 goals starting next season. And possibly 100+ goals in their prime: Boeser with 40+, EP with 30+, Bo with 25+.

If EP makes the team next season as 1LW, then the second line is Baertschi-Granlund-Gagner. If we are lucky and one of Dahlen, Goldobin, or Virtanen develops into a 15-25 goal scorer starting next season, it would be Baer-Granny-Dahlen/Goldobin/Virtanen.

It's not terrible since Baer and Granlund are both 15 goal scorers (probably 20G if they played full 82 games last season). That line should be able to score 45-55 goals on a full season.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Good point but having elite 1st line on the ice for 20 minutes gives the team a chance to win every night. I think that first line can probably score close to 80 maybe even 90 goals starting next season. And possibly 100+ goals in their prime: Boeser with 40+, EP with 30+, Bo with 25+.

If EP makes the team next season as 1LW, then the second line is Baertschi-Granlund-Gagner. If we are lucky and one of Dahlen, Goldobin, or Virtanen develops into a 15-25 goal scorer starting next season, it would be Baer-Granny-Dahlen/Goldobin/Virtanen.

It's not terrible since Baer and Granlund are both 15 goal scorers (probably 20G if they played full 82 games last season). That line should be able to score 45-55 goals on a full season.

Love Granny, but I'm not keen on him as a C, let alone on the 2nd line.  Having Gagner as the RW would be really sad, so yeah, we gotta pray one of the youngin's could take on that role.

I think I'd rather see Pettersson as 2nd C if it came to that.  Leave the Bs together and then have something like:  Kane  Elias  Eriksson.  I don't know if Kane would sign in Vanc, but maybe there's another option.  Really want a gritty tough guy with Pettersson during his transition years.

Pettersson Horvat and Boeser would definitely be eye candy on the PP though.

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

There's no reason to rush this kid to the NHL. Edmonton has done that for years and its killed some promising careers.

If this was Edmonton ....Next year would be his second year in the NHL . The extra year will do him wonders. He is playing well against men.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Gaudette should be in the mix as well. Really don't have any clue what his ceiling is, or how good he'll be right off the bat, but it makes things interesting at least.

Gaudette's a pesky Kesler type. He's got the drive to want to be the #1 C but will likely be a very good #3 C/occasional #2. Kid's got a great motor on him and plays with an edge that the Canucks havent really had since the Kesler days. In an interview from this summer (I read it awhile ago so no link), he said he plays this way because he felt like he shouldnt have been picked so late in the draft and he basically upped his game to prove all 29 other teams that passed him wrong for not taking him the FIRST round. Gotta love that tenacity and audacity. I expect Gaudette will play a handful of games in March and then take over the Burmistrov slot on the roster next season.

That said, since this is Pettersson, I can really see him taking a roster spot next year. He's playing at an elite level at the SHL as a 19 year old. He gives me Filip Forsberg vibes. A real gem. Type of player I wished Benning chose in 2014 (*cough Nylander *cough* Ehlers *cough*). Big future ahead. Exciting times in 2018, hopefully.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Love Granny, but I'm not keen on him as a C, let alone on the 2nd line.  Having Gagner as the RW would be really sad, so yeah, we gotta pray one of the youngin's could take on that role.

I think I'd rather see Pettersson as 2nd C if it came to that.  Leave the Bs together and then have something like:  Kane  Elias  Eriksson.  I don't know if Kane would sign in Vanc, but maybe there's another option.  Really want a gritty tough guy with Pettersson during his transition years.

Pettersson Horvat and Boeser would definitely be eye candy on the PP though.

I also think Gaudette may have something to say. If we are lucky within a few years he may stake a claim for 2C. In the mean time maybe Sutter will have to run as 2nd line C.

Or Sedins may be here another year. But agree, I'd also like to see a hard gritty guy on each line as well. 

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

...until he's ready to be our 1C.

Yip. 

It was more like a response to Odd's question if anybody had thought about the possibility, and there's a whole thread about it.

If Pettersson continues this trend he will, without a doubt, end up as our 1C. But he may, or most likely will be starting on the wing.

Which line remains to be seen, but thats for another day...

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

Gaudette's a pesky Kesler type. He's got the drive to want to be the #1 C but will likely be a very good #3 C/occasional #2.

Lets not forget that when Kesler first arrived most of us pegged him as an elite 3rd line center.  Thats where I also feel Gaudette will end up, and I agree he plays a similar game.  If he turns out to be 2b level then all the better.

For those feeling Pettersson will play on the wing, I doubt it.  If a player has the capacity to play center, you play him at center unless you are overstocked in that position.  I feel he has elite talent and will probably start as 3rd center and will quickly work his way to 2c before eventually surpassing Horvat as 1c once he gets the experience and adds some weight.

That would put our center depth as:

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

Sutter

That's one hell of lineup down the middle.  Boeser looks to be an obvious 1st line winger so we just need to get an appropriate lw for Pettersson and we could have one of the better 1st lines in the league.  We do have a few players in the system who might end up capable of assuming this role by that time.  I'm really eyeing Dahlen given his existing chemistry with Pettersson and high ceiling but who knows.

Baertschi is just fine on the left of Horvat so that's 2/3 of a very good 2nd line as well, and perhaps Eriksson can continue his recovery and play on the right.  That's 3 55-65 point players right there.

We have plenty of players in the system who can fill out the remaining bottom four winger positions with high ability.

All in all we will be stacked in a couple of years.  Super looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, cory40 said:

If this was Edmonton ....Next year would be his second year in the NHL . The extra year will do him wonders. He is playing well against men.

Can you name the last 1st overall pick that didn't play in the NHL right after the draft? That being said I'm excited for next year we have a couple offensive young guys that will be ready to compete for a spot or 2. 

15 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

From everything I've heard and read about Pettersson, he plays reasonably well in his own zone.

I'm pretty sure i read that he has only been on the ice for 5 or 6 even strength goals all season (as of a couple weeks ago).