The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

52 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes, it's far sexier to play rookies in the NHL, but, as you implied; "Green is afraid of making a mistake so he plays a guy like Benn".

I wouldn't say that OJ and Rathbone are better dmen at this point.   Rathbone has played a total of 4 games in the AHL so far and has done well, but that's a very small sample size.  I doubt we'll see him in Vancouver until next season.  OJ may be better, but I believe Benn was playing because he can play both sides and has a lot more experience in important games.

Besides, Benn has been playing really well and deserves the recognition.

...They are playing him to trade him...or ...they aren't playing OJ to pay him less on his next contract...

OJ is our 2nd best D. right now...and our best break-out passer...and...he should be playing over Benn if they weren't trading Benn in 13 days...

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Yes, it's far sexier to play rookies in the NHL, but, as you implied; "Green is afraid of making a mistake so he plays a guy like Benn".

I wouldn't say that OJ and Rathbone are better dmen at this point.   Rathbone has played a total of 4 games in the AHL so far and has done well, but that's a very small sample size.  I doubt we'll see him in Vancouver until next season.  OJ may be better, but I believe Benn was playing because he can play both sides and has a lot more experience in important games.

Besides, Benn has been playing really well and deserves the recognition.

I agree, Benn has been playing well, WAY WAY better than I expected this season. Its foolish to think that OJ or even Rathbone would stand a chance against guys like Matthews, Kyle Connor, McDavid, Draisatl etc. barrelling down the ice, at least Benn has played against those guys, numerous times. Its nice to have all the upside, better pedigree what not, but Green still has a mandate to win not just for the organization but for himself, the guy doesn't even have a contract next season. Do I want OJ to play, yeah and hopefully soon since its looking liking the post season is getting farther and farther for us, but to say he's that much better than Benn or wouldve made a bigger difference, I doubt that

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rathbone is going to give us some serious pop on offense...3 puck handling D. and 2 can skate like few others ....

He's also only played 4 AHL games and people are already annointing him as the 2nd coming of Scott Niedermeyer. Seriously, we need to ease up on the whole Rathbone hype. Lot of CDCers are expecting Podz, OJ, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone making the team next season LOL. 6 rookies, geezus. 2 making it is already massive feat on its own, let alone 6

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I agree, Benn has been playing well, WAY WAY better than I expected this season. Its foolish to think that OJ or even Rathbone would stand a chance against guys like Matthews, Kyle Connor, McDavid, Draisatl etc. barrelling down the ice, at least Benn has played against those guys, numerous times. Its nice to have all the upside, better pedigree what not, but Green still has a mandate to win not just for the organization but for himself, the guy doesn't even have a contract next season. Do I want OJ to play, yeah and hopefully soon since its looking liking the post season is getting farther and farther for us, but to say he's that much better than Benn or wouldve made a bigger difference, I doubt that

As well as Benn has played the Canucks have to move on. Hoping he is traded by the TDL. The season is toast. Rotate prospects thru the lineup for the balance of the season. Vancouver has spent a lot of time and money on their young prospects. They have to get NHL TOI. The org cannot keep many of these players. Making the best decisions on who to keep requires NHL exposure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Some of their prospects certainly should get a few games in order to better evaluate where they are at and what they need to work on in the off season. Not all prospects are ready for that but Rathbone, Rafferty, Lind and possibly Woo could benefit from playing in a few NHL games this season IMO.

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

He's also only played 4 AHL games and people are already annointing him as the 2nd coming of Scott Niedermeyer. Seriously, we need to ease up on the whole Rathbone hype. Lot of CDCers are expecting Podz, OJ, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone making the team next season LOL. 6 rookies, geezus. 2 making it is already massive feat on its own, let alone 6

How about you let up and I will keep telling it like it is....

Fox ...Jack's old D. partner is ripping it up now and Jake is/will be better...it is not hype if it is the way it is....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

How about you let up and I will keep telling it like it is....

Fox ...Jack's old D. partner is ripping it up now and Jake is/will be better...it is not hype if it is the way it is....

I tend to agree.  I like Rathbone better than Fox.  But I think you highlight the Canucks development problem by suggesting he is anywhere near as good as Fox.  Fox was given a chance and played in the NHL from the get go.  Rathbone was buried and is playing behind players he is better than.  I would argue Juolevi is too.  And that some of the Canucks struggles this year have come by leaning on Hughes too much and playing Benn, Chatfield, Myers, Hamonic and at times Elder ahead of younger more capable d-men that will be herr longer and improve faster with more time on ice.  And also that Elder would have played better if managed better and rested here and there.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 1:01 AM, filthycanuck said:

oj has played in nhl already not really a rookie next yr its  his 3rd yr in pros this yr   lind gaz 3rd yr pros  pods played in khl since he was 17   i expect  they are probably seasoned in leaser leagues enough to be nhl ready woo rathbone  might ir may not be ready but they will push for spots  can see  oj and 3 rookies making team next yr   more with call ups if injuries strike 

On 3/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, Rick Blight said:

Elite Prospects as well. My grandson is listed in Elite Prospects as 5'10" and 150 lbs but he is now 6'2" and 173 lbs.

Clearly he is tall and heavy for his size... obvious beneficiary of drinking heavy water and eating tall orders.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:01 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...They are playing him to trade him...or ...they aren't playing OJ to pay him less on his next contract...

OJ is our 2nd best D. right now...and our best break-out passer...and...he should be playing over Benn if they weren't trading Benn in 13 days...

that seems like a winning formula

On 3/28/2021 at 1:57 AM, filthycanuck said:

I don't really think that applies to OJ. He's proved he can at least compete with these guys already. Benn is just better at this time.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't really think that applies to OJ. He's proved he can at least compete with these guys already. Benn is just better at this time.

OJ has played well make no mistake about it, far exceeded my expectations. After Chatfield went down, OJ's game got better and better, but I like I stated, to say OJ would've been better than Benn (who people are clamouring who he should replace) during the last stretch of games, not sure about that. Give it OJ though, I wouldve never taken him out in the first place for Harmonic, who has panned out well and upped his trade value. If you were going to slot Harmonic in after his injury, just based on the stretch of games prior, it defintely would not have been over Benn or OJ

On 3/28/2021 at 2:58 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

CDC would not contain itself if Rathbone turned out as good as Fox!  He has 12 points his last 5 games...

image.thumb.png.085f550fc00d7dd2e78f129ca74b48c0.png

What a stud.

We are set at LHD puck moving, PP QB, offensive Dmen for next 10 years with Hughes and Rathbone. 

Need to draft a couple of young, big body, RHD in the system and get them developing asap.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

What a stud.

We are set at LHD puck moving, PP QB, offensive Dmen for next 10 years with Hughes and Rathbone. 

Need to draft a couple of young, big body, RHD in the system and get them developing asap.

We've got Woo. We do need another guy though, I agree.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We've got Woo. We do need another guy though, I agree.

Yes he's one. But I'm thinking.some taller bigger kids. Woo is 6.0 ft 200lbs. He's coming along and will take another cpl years of development in Utica and as a rookie on the Canucks. 

We need to draft cpl bigger guys like Edler at 6'3. Hopefully we fund a stud in this year's draft. We should have a top 10 pick again so someone will be available.  

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes he's one. But I'm thinking.some taller bigger kids. Woo is 6.0 ft 200lbs. He's coming along and will take another cpl years of development in Utica and as a rookie on the Canucks. 

We need to draft cpl bigger guys like Edler at 6'3. Hopefully we fund a stud in this year's draft. We should have a top 10 pick again so someone will be available.  

D are the talk of town in the top 10; Clarke, Hughes, Power, Lambos, forget the name of the big Swedish lefty

• Cheers 1