The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

4 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Tavares hates the media. So NJ, St. Louis, maybe Vegas are pretty safe bets. Montreal might not even be able to swing him with an incredible overpayment.

Vegas would be a dark horse in that race.  that said, I think Vegas drops off the map a bit going fwd.  It's after midnight and Cinderella has become a pumpkin

I think yesterday's announcement of the firing of Snow and Weight, means that Tavares has formally told the Isles that's he's either staying or intends to test the market.  More probably that's it's the latter, otherwise a signing announcement would be pending.  Once Lamoriello knew where TAvares stood, he made the move to fire Weight and Snow.  He probably waited to see if Tavares would say either "I'm leaving if Snow/Weight is staying" or "I'm leaving if they go".  

Anyways, I highly doubt Tavares pulls a Stamkos and re-signs with the Isles.  He's gone.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I prefer we stay away from both of them and the term (and $ to a lesser extent) they'll command. If we're going to blow a wad of cash on a UFA D with 6+ years of term, I far prefer we wait until next year when there's a bumper crop of top 4 D pending UFA AND we're a year further along in our rebuild to make better use of that 6 year term, not wasting it on so many rebuilding years.

Stick to short term, bridge veterans. Replace Dorsett with Roussel, sign one of Richardson, Beagle etc as a depth C and/or look at say Thornton or a Bozak or Riley Nash as a short term, stop gap C to shelter Pettersson for a couple years or trade for a Jenner or similar.

If we can package some of our middling D 'plus' for an upgrade on a young D (hence things like Hanifin rumours), by all means. If we can get value for Tanev in trade and sign a stop gap UFA to 'replace' him with a warm body ...sure. 

Otherwise, we're likely drafting a solid D prospect with our 1st this year, added to OJ, Tryamkin coming back in a couple years, a UFA next summer and hopefully a decent chance one of Brisebois, Chatfield, Rathbone etc 'surprising' over the next few years, Pouliot and Stecher still developing and Gudbranson around for a few more years (and IMO, a likely short term Edler re-sign)... The D will slowly improve over the next few years.

not that I think the Nucks would land either of them, but if JC and JT hit UFA, there won't be bigger names in their primes in the forseeable future.  Everyone always gets excited about possible UFA's a year or two in advance, but they never hit UFA, always re-signed

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

not that I think the Nucks would land either of them, but if JC and JT hit UFA, there won't be bigger names in their primes in the forseeable future.  Everyone always gets excited about possible UFA's a year or two in advance, but they never hit UFA, always re-signed

That's simply not true.

2 hours ago, richado said:

Toronto is gonna go media crazy now like when Stamkos just about hit free agency and was just BOUND to go to Toronto. Because everyone LOVES Toronto. 

I love that the media in Toronto is now saying they dont really need an upgrade on D      .. lol      that they're good enough 

they seem to be so narcissistic , they believe  that any team would be lucky to just have toronto accept a good dman as a gift . 

They do try and manipulate reality ..    they try , they fail , they golf                                   rinse and repeat 

#1, I don't believe that Tavares will sign here.

#2, IF I'm wrong on #1, and he's willing to not only come to Canada, but the west coast as well, I'd happily give him 10 - 10.5 per to have him centering Pettersson and Boeser.

#3, IF he has any interest in #2, and we could actually land him (again, see #1), it would give us a lot more flexibility on who we could move for immediate help on D.

#4, Again, see #1. I really believe that he will stay in the US, but if he's leaving NYI, I think he will sign outside of the division out of respect.

His odds of signing with us have nothing to do with what Benning should or shouldn't do though, they are two different issues.

There is little chance of Tavares signing with us, but Benning should still be pursuing him and making a serious push.

It is almost never a bad idea to add elite talent to your roster.  They push your other players down the lineup and make the entire team better.  Horvat is an average top line centre at best.  He would be one of the top 2nd line centres though if he was playing behind Tavares... and the team would be better at match ups all down the lineup.

We were pursuing Subban for the same reason.  

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

There is little chance of Tavares signing with us, but Benning should still be pursuing him and making a serious push.

It is almost never a bad idea to add elite talent to your roster. 

On one hand - I can't argue with that statement as it is phrased. 

On the other hand, elite talent such as what JT brings almost always comes with 'strings'.  Said 'strings' being a massive cap hit and a very lengthy, clause-filled (NTC/NMC) contract which may or may not end up being virtually untradeable for the last several years.  With those 'strings' I'd think long and hard about adding elite talent to our roster. 

If JB went out and did what some people want him to and throw the bank at JT/Karlsson/Carlson we'd be in a bad, bad shape in a few years when the likes of BB/Virt/Demko/EP/OJ, ect....need to be signed.  Will we be in rough shape the next couple years without pursuing a couple big-name FA's - probably.  But when our core is established we won't have to dismantle it like WPG/EDM invariably will have to in the next couple years. 

50 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If JB went out and did what some people want him to and throw the bank at JT/Karlsson/Carlson we'd be in a bad, bad shape in a few years when the likes of BB/Virt/Demko/EP/OJ, ect....need to be signed.  Will we be in rough shape the next couple years without pursuing a couple big-name FA's - probably.  But when our core is established we won't have to dismantle it like WPG/EDM invariably will have to in the next couple years. 

Not likely.  Our prospects for the most part aren’t superstar generational talents who will demand top tier pay.  The couple that we hope will become legitimate top line/pairing players   will get their contract with plenty of room to spare.

We certainly won’t be in bad shape in a couple years, we have bunches of veteran contacts expiring, and a steady stream of cheap ELC rookies to develop and slot into the lineup for the next few years. 

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

if im canucks i trade tanev to oilers for 10th, baertchi fir late first,  sutter for a second  trade eriksson anywhere with 3 mill retained  hutton for a draft pick  nillson for picks 

frees up 19 more mill

sign tavares11/8yrs  and carlsson 8/8 reaves 2 yr 2.5 

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

step away for the bottle of vodka 

I think you need to take your own advice! ::D

However...

How ever. If you’re Tavares and consider the prospects of signing with Toronto for top dollars long-term, you’re going to play the best years of your career in the shadow of Matthews.

Perhaps an argument could be made for Tavares to the Canucks on that very point. Yes Horvat is really, really good. So is Pettersson who is going to continue the Swedish elite line of greats that came before him.

But it’s Tavares we’re talking about. The hockey that would come out of a pairing of Tavares and Boeser, the rivalry between McDavid and Tavares has much more mustard than what is currently offered. And I do mean currently, as many prospects look to become stars for this team and are planning to make life very difficult and busy for upper management.

But it’s Tavares we’re talking about. The Canucks have the money to put Tavares on par with Toews and McDavid with its $19 million dollars worth of cap space. The ripple effect it would have on the West, that the Canucks would sign Tavares, perhaps that is worth thinking about. 

PETTERSSON - TAVARES - BOESER

By God’s will if there’s a prayer to be had.

14 hours ago, wildcam said:

I think Tavares wanting out is a smart move at his age 27...I could see , Sharks, Vegas, Toronto, Devils in that order...I think he will sign with  Sharks or Vegas...

NYI are at least 3 years away from a good playoff run...

Oof. If he signed with the Sharks, I would not be looking forward to the next 7 seasons, dealing with his smart and high scoring a$$.

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What canucks should be doing is pursuing what cap crunched team we can take advantage of.  A cap crunched team that would like to make room for tavares. 

Be like when we took Ehrhoff off the Sharks for peanuts...so they could sign Dany Heatley ::D

I think Tavares would be the ideal player to lead our young forward group for the next 6-7 years. We have the cap and I think we should try to land him.

It would take a hell of a strain off Bo and Brock and be a shining example for EP and Gaudette.

I can't believe there is anyone on this forum who would not want an 27 year old elite 206 lbs 6'-1" center on this team.

q7kZVky.png

Archived