The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Senators re-sign Mark Stone

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I bet he'll be doing this once he realizes he probably gave up Jack Hughes for Brady Tkachuk by giving Colorado their 2019 1st. 

cheech.gif.47653a04514cae2db65938afcdee7360.gif

I'll probably be doing that sometime in the near future, for no particular reason.

These salaries are getting ridiculous. 

Its insane how with the NHL every change occurs almost instantly. 

Goons gone within 2 years. 

Teens being the norm and any player over 28 is considered old within 2 years. 

Salary cap rise and crazy salary inflation within basically a year. 

Over a point per game, missed 24 games and lead the Sens in scoring, best +/- on the team (+9) by a wide margin. Also brings size and defensive awareness. 

$7.35 seems like a lot but he may be one of the most underrated players in the league and is actually well worth the money. Between Stone, Karlsson, and Duchene they could pull off 5 years of rebuild in one day (TDL). 

Contract pretty much indicates Stone will be traded before or at TDL along with EK & Doosh I imagine.   They'll have lost their lottery pick to Col but could end up with three firsts(+) which isn't chump change in a rebuild imo.

In one year Sens will have lost

Hoffman

Karlsson

Stone

Duchene

A top 3 pick

And will have essentially nothing to show for it.  Like at all.  It's incredible really when you think about it.  A hall of fame defenseman.  A top line winger when healthy.  A top 6 winger.  A top 6 center.  A potential franchise defining center in Hughes

For nothing.

Chiarelli was like here, I AM the worst GM in the league, Bergevin was like Tabernak hold my Molson...Dorion cracked his knuckles and said back up ladies lemme show you how it's done.

And somewhere Mike MIlbury is shaking his head in awe

How in the hell is Stone worth close to franchise player money? I understand the he may be one of their better players but for 7.5 million?

He will be gone at the TDL for a second and a prospect if they are lucky. 

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hoffman

Karlsson

Stone

Duchene

A top 3 pick

And will have essentially nothing to show for it.  Like at all.  It's incredible really when you think about it.  A hall of fame defenseman.  A top line winger when healthy.  A top 6 winger.  A top 6 center.  A potential franchise defining center in Hughes

For nothing.

Chiarelli was like here, I AM the worst GM in the league, Bergevin was like Tabernak hold my Molson...Bergevin cracked his knuckles and said back up ladies lemme show you how it's done.

Aside from the double Bergevin reference, lmfao :D

2 hours ago, crunch55 said:

If Stoner gets $7 mill plus ...what will Brock get if he is a point a game guy this year ? The new cap hit is really driving salaries up and they thinking you have more cap space is going out the window because of it.

I don't buy other GMs mistakes or high salaries as anything to indicate this means others must go up. Years and years ago dollars were closer together and there was a legit belief and reasoning behind a specific contract and how it may influence others. Today the dollars are out of whack and too many variables come into play to determine a worth vs being dependent on the " market ".

In UFA yeah you will need to pay to get players, we saw this with the Canucks signings and they were good additions. But if anyone believes a Mark Stone signing or Doughty in LA etc will drive up salaries, its just not valid, some agency will push it in negotiations but a lot of these deals don't make sense like they used to where a GM and Agent can utilize examples in negotiation.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Hoffman

Karlsson

Stone

Duchene

A top 3 pick

For nothing.

Chiarelli was like here, I AM the worst GM in the league, Bergevin was like Tabernak hold my Molson...Bergevin cracked his knuckles and said back up ladies lemme show you how it's done.

Could toss Turris into that pile of nothing too once Duchene walks.

Archived