The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

who are the 3rd line wingers between, leivo, virtanen, baertschi, goldobin, pearson and maybe eriksson at least until roussel comes back?

Gonna have to see the rest of camp to decide it IMO. And I'll not be shocked to see one of Baer/Pearson/Leivo (or even long shot Virtanen for the right return) moved at some point in the not distant future.

Right now my penciled lineup is:

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Baer/Pearson, Sutter, Leivo/Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Leivo/Virtanen

13th likely is Eriksson as he'll easily clear waivers later when Roussel's back (barring further injuries/trades) whereas I doubt Goldy would... but might during the preseason melee where everyone is sending down players.

Gordie help Eriksson if Goldy, Gaudette, MacEwen etc actually earn a spot over him.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 8:05 AM, Mrwipeout said:

i definetly like what im seeing from Leivo so far, hes been good during the pre-season games just as he was good last season. 

I just wanted to repeat what i already mentioned...he has kept his play at a high level and imo Leivo is better then both Pearson and Ferland so far. Keep Leivo on the 2nd line and let ferland alternate between the first 2nd and 3rd line pending on the way u want that line to "behave". But im sold on leivo and miller as wingers so far....top notch. 

Leivo's hands have been very stoney. Can't seem to get a hold of the puck. He's been in the right position for multiple scoring chances but has been very off with the handeye. He has missed the puck way too many times. I no longer think he's a good option in the top 6 or the PP. I'd rather see someone with better hands in his position. We should move him down a line. I'd rather give those minutes to Virtanen, or just call up Baer.

• Upvote 2

On 10/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, Mrwipeout said:

I just wanted to repeat what i already mentioned...he has kept his play at a high level and imo Leivo is better then both Pearson and Ferland so far. Keep Leivo on the 2nd line and let ferland alternate between the first 2nd and 3rd line pending on the way u want that line to "behave". But im sold on leivo and miller as wingers so far....top notch. 

Disagree, through the first 4 games he's been good on the wall but other than that many grade A chances have died on Leivo's stick and he wasn't great as the bumper on the PP. Hoping he takes the next step but at the moment I would rather slot Baertschi, Ferland or Virtanen in the 2 RW spot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Yes because Virtanen is known for his soft hands and clutch goal scoring?

He isn't, but so far this season he has shown patience and better overall awareness on the ice. I'm curious to see if it would translate with more minutes. I haven't seen a single bonehead play from him this season.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got to think Leivo is the odd man out when Roussel comes back and to be honest I'd rather see what Baertschi can do than Leivo at the moment. He deserves a decent chance though but Virtanen has already replaced him on Horvat's line and is doing well there...

Leivo is a serviceable bottom six guy.  He doesn’t bring anything physical though.  Schaller and Motte have contributed more.  

• Upvote 1

And he shall be Leivo
And he shall be a good man
And he shall be Leivo
In tradition with the family plan, woo
And he shall be Leivo
And he shall be a good man
He shall be Leivo

Sorry, bored at work.

Edited by RWMc1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got to think Leivo is the odd man out when Roussel comes back and to be honest I'd rather see what Baertschi can do than Leivo at the moment. He deserves a decent chance though but Virtanen has already replaced him on Horvat's line and is doing well there...

Leivo goes on waivers when ?Baer comes back.  What exactly does Leivo do that’s good?  

Leivo is just a discount Baertschi to me. He does everything Baertschi does, but slightly worse.

Don't get me wrong, he's not actually playing badly this year, but I still feel that Baertschi could be doing even more.

Agree that Jake seems to be playing well lately, even if the points haven't been piling on. I think Virtanen stays there until Green feels like he's not doing a good job anymore. 

Leivo I think has to be the odd man out. I think Pearson stays on the second line, Virtanen has just replaced Leivo. 

Is Leivo replacing anyone on the third and fourth lines? I doubt it. 

I think he becomes the extra forward, honestly. Good depth, but I'm not sure if the player is going to be happy. 

Would love to see Bartschi eventually return to the big club. 

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Leivo is just a discount Baertschi to me. He does everything Baertschi does, but slightly worse.

Don't get me wrong, he's not actually playing badly this year, but I still feel that Baertschi could be doing even more.

Honestly, I think that Bartschi is an upgrade over Leivo offensively, and generally speaking as well. 

The only area that I think Leivo has a leg up on, is probably board work, and physicality. Baer is a little low on both those, he's not the most physical player (Leivo is better here). But I'll take 'lesser' Bartschi in two of those areas, than Leivo. Bartschi isn't also bad defensively. But he provides a lot more offensively than Leivo has so far this season. I think Leivo is playing slightly above his pay grade. He'd make a terrific third liner, and probably even a decent fourth line player. But a second line player? He hasn't been able to produce offensively. 

So, no thanks. 

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Leivo goes on waivers when ?Baer comes back.  What exactly does Leivo do that’s good?  

Wouldn't expect Baertschi back - his understanding per his interview to a Swiss paper is that he doesn't fit the team.  See his thread for the quotes.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Different players.  Green obviously values Leivo's contribution more and doesn't think Baertschi fits his system.

Edited by mll

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Leivo is a serviceable bottom six guy.  He doesn’t bring anything physical though.  Schaller and Motte have contributed more.  

What I see in Leivo is decent speed, good board battle, can read the play and can handle the heavy going. He has a decent number of offensive looks but not capitalize to date. I am not down on the guy after 10 games. I agree he is not top 6 but is capable of filling in there if needed. He can play 3rd line. In CUP play the 3rd line is usually getting more d-zone FO's and get to cover the top lines of the opposing teams. Many on here think Baer should at least get Leivo's TOI. I am on the fence but lean towards Leivo keeping his TOI for at least 20-25 games. Baer brings better offense but I question his long term durability. It is what you have in March more than what you can produce in October. Still hoping that Baer's play in Utica draws an offer from another NHL team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1