The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dahlen on the block?

Tanev

1 hour ago, tas said:

it wasn't necessarily a win (other than it allowing the canucks to acquire sutter -- clendening was allegedly a must in that deal -- which allowed them to give horvat sheltered defensive assignments), but it definitely wasn't a loss, either. 

I did find it odd that Sutter was put with the Sedins at the start of that season, leaving Horvat with the tough defensive duties anyhow (seemed to me it was Horvat sheltering Sutter initially).  Unfortunately it also had the effect of Vrbata sulking after losing that perk assignment with the twins (he should’ve been professional about it though) torpedoing his trade value.

In the end Sutter ended up playing on 20 games for us that first season thereby really leaving Horvat stuck at the deep end of the pool his rookie season.

2 hours ago, nazzymx said:

Why would Vancouver media release this kind of bs?. They are just hurting the Canucks; do you think Dahlen would be happy reading thay they soured on him?

smh

Listen to the Benning interview on this site.  There's precious little to talk about so the media has to create talking points. 

I take anything Sekeres has to say about the Canucks with a grain of salt.  He doesn't like Benning and has a major axe to grind.  He thinks that he can affect the opinion of ownership by his own efforts.  Such a bag of wind.

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That'd be dumb as hell considering Dahlen has really found his game in the AHL during the last 2 months. 

Probably looked at Elite Prospects, seen the numbers, and made his stupid assessment about Dahlen. And even then, 29 points in 50 games for a rookie isn't too bad. Especially given his slow start. The Canucks aren't shopping Dahlen any more than they are shopping Boeser. 

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Probably looked at Elite Prospects, seen the numbers, and made his stupid assessment about Dahlen. And even then, 29 points in 50 games for a rookie isn't too bad. Especially given his slow start. The Canucks aren't shopping Dahlen any more than they are shopping Boeser. 

Attention: Canucks shopping Boeser.

follow up tweet by this rat man. 

You can tell its it’s a troll job because apparently the aspect the Canucks have soured on is his skating? Dahlen has some of the best edge work on the comets. His skating is a  strength not a weakness. Just watch him:

4 hours ago, Tanev said:

Matthew Sekeres @mattsekeres

Name to keep an eye on with the #Canucksat at #NHLTradeDeadline is prospect W Jonathan Dahlen (acquired from Ottawa for Alex Burrows two years ago). My understanding is Canucks have shopped him, soured on him a bit after seeing him in his first AHL year with @UticaComets.

don't buy it at all.  He's had a good year and he's starting to play consistently and is playing well atm.

23 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

follow up tweet by this rat man. 

The irrelevant desperate to be relevant.  Their listenership (if that's a word) must suck sekerASS.  Hey Matt makes a good storyline but radio is a business not about airheads filling the void with baseless crap. 

3 hours ago, gttxc said:

You don’t only trade players that suck...  Unless you’re just making a comment on his development.

I'm confused. I was talking about his development being stunted by Cull, and it not being fair to give up on a guy who's in his first year in North America.

56 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This is the most important part. His first few months were definitely slow with him getting used to his first year of pro. But, the last few months his game has very much improved.

So, we're going to deal Dahlen before we see his chemistry with Pettersson? Why would we sour on him before giving him a shot with his former linemate?

Not opposed to dealing him for the right move but I would've at least called him up to avoid the "if only we put him with Pettersson" thing if he turns out to walk on water with another team.

2 hours ago, tas said:

it wasn't necessarily a win (other than it allowing the canucks to acquire sutter -- clendening was allegedly a must in that deal -- which allowed them to give horvat sheltered defensive assignments), but it definitely wasn't a loss, either. 

The Canucks made that Clendening-Forsling swap 6 months before acquiring Sutter.  Clendening was most certainly not a deal breaker.  The Penguins had to shed cap space.  Canucks had also no place on their roster for Clendening with already 6 veteran Ds under contract for the upcoming season.  Benning had signed Bartkowski in free agency ahead of the Sutter deal.  There was one spot left between Corrado and Clendening and it's Hutton that got that spot with Corrado being waived.

Horvat was not sheltered defensively by Sutter.  Sutter was brought in as a scoring C that was stuck behind Crosby/Malkin.  Horvat was used as the shutdown C.  That was even the reason given by WD to play Baertschi with Horvat.  

He explained that Baertschi wasn't doing anything offensively but he wasn't hurting the team defensively, so he could play him with Horvat to shutdown the other teams top lines until he found his confidence.  Once Baertschi got going he broke them up explaining that Baertschi was taking Horvat off his game and that Horvat was better suited to play with defensive wingers.  He even started them on separate lines the following season with Horvat between Dorsett-Burrows but was forced to re-unite them.  

37 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

I'm confused. I was talking about his development being stunted by Cull, and it not being fair to give up on a guy who's in his first year in North America.

Huh?  I said “unless your just talking about his development “. How does that not address the misunderstanding?

Archived