The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dahlen on the block?

Tanev

IMHO Suckeres is just creating drama. 

1. Why would the Canucks trade their only “true” top 6 LW prospect when top 6 LW is a major weakness on the team?

2. Why would the Canucks trade a player who’s shown incredible chemistry with their superstar who NEEDS a top 6 LW?

3. Said LW, while he started slow in Utica has taken a major step and for the last 25 games is showing he has top 6 potential. 

4. I hope the Nucks keep Suckeres out of the room now as this type of garbage TMZ journalism can cause problems for the organzation. Firstly, Dhalen May start feeling  a bit pissed off, let alone their Golden Goose his best buddy. 

5. The reason they likely went after Dhalen was they were anticipating drafting Petersson. You don’t develop a kid for a year in the minors, he shows he’s improving to what you expected, he has chemistry with your best player, and the position he plays is the second weakest (next to RD) on your team and then turn around and trade him lol. Certainly not before you know what you have (ie getting a look at him at the NHL level).

If Suckeres is going to make up stories, he’s better off using his brain first and coming up with someone that actually could pass the sniff test as logical.

14 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

With our lack of LW prospects I see no way Dahlen is moved unless its for a very good defence prospect.

Dahlen for Ian Mitchell would be something worth considering.

Not surprised that this has been brought up by Sekeras.

Key question is: Is Dahlen the kind of forward Travis wants to have on his team going forward?

The answer for me is no.

When I read Travis statements about Goldobin's weaknesses this key question instantly came to my mind.

My read on Dahlen is, that he is a skill player like Goldobin is. 

Travis obviously wants forwards on his team playing a responsible two way game, playing with a high compete level in all three zones, agressive on the forecheck taking time and space away from opponents, having enough speed for his up-tempo game. I really doubt that Dahlen checks most of these boxes.

I would be O.K. with trading him away.

17 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Key question is: Is Dahlen the kind of forward Travis wants to have on his team going forward?

The answer for me is no.

When I read Travis statements about Goldobin's weaknesses this key question instantly came to my mind.

Travis obviously wants forwards on his team playing a responsible two way game, playing with a high compete level in all three zones, agressive on the forecheck taking time and space away from opponents, having enough speed for his up-tempo game. I really doubt that Dahlen checks most of these boxes.

I disagree with you here. I think he checks all of those boxes and certainly fits as one of Green's players. He's not a finished product yet and still honing his game and adjusting to the levels here, but he's shown all those aspects. Goldobin is probably more skilled, but Dahlen has far more drive.

I'm not opposed to trading him for the right return, but certainly not for the reason presented by Sekeras who seems to be talking out of his ass. Right now I would say he's our best bet as a top 6 prospect, so he fits a position of need right now especially if Goldobin doesn't pan out and Baertschi is forced to retire. With Spooner's contract expiring after next year, it might be the perfect time to bring Dahlen up, assuming Spooner doesn't make a great impression to stick around.

44 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The answer for me is no.

Thing is Dahlen is nothing like Goldobin except the skill set.  He works tirelessly back-checking and goes to the dirty areas.  Watching him live in Laval two games in a row, he was Utica’s best player one game (first star), and best forward the second game, small sample size for sure...he actually reminded me a bit of Bure (similar build) given he had a couple breakaways out of nothing (scoring too), he was dangerous out there.  Given what he did last year too shows a lot of character, taking an entire team on his back and relegating it up into the top tier...no way Green and Benning don’t like this guy, even without the EP connection they want to see what he can do in the NHL and soon.  Agree his stats aren’t glowing, but it took him some time to get some traction.   He was named as one of Bennings untouchables, and I’m sure that is still the case.

3 hours ago, combover said:

Hope it’s not true, top six need skill and depth this kid provides both. Giving up on him early would be yet another mistake. 

not sure why we’d be moving young players and signing/resigning old ones.

depends on the return, as with any player. If Chicago were willing to trade Jokiharju straight across for him I'd be very happy with that given how much we need RHD.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/277056/henri-jokiharju

and didn't your hear, we're getting Panarin :P

12 hours ago, nergish said:

Did you watch them?

Dahlen was the heart and soul guy, brimming with passion. He literally took charge. EP was the slicked skilled guy who, more quietly, racked up the points.

Mackinnon does not dominate in any one area, he excels because nobody wants it more than he does. His heart takes his skill level into another stratosphere.

Obviously EP has proven how hungry he is since then, but Dahlen on Timra was truly inspiring.

Yes. Actually i have lots while they were in timra. Johnathon doesnt play anywhere near like mackinnon. He plays almost exactly like his dad ulf did. Both were opportunistic scorers who like to get their noses, but they never drove play like mackinnon or petey did in juniors. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends on the return, as with any player. If Chicago were willing to trade Jokiharju straight across for him I'd be very happy with that given how much we need RHD.

Agreed, jokiharju would be an excellent pickup. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think joker is probably the young defenseman they want to keep. Would be cool though.

3 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Agreed, jokiharju would be an excellent pickup. 

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

I think joker is probably the young defenseman they want to keep. Would be cool though.

It would be a long shot, but would be the kind of deal that would just make too much sense imo to pass up. 

Its also the kind of deal that could easily wait for summer or at the draft. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It would be a long shot, but would be the kind of deal that would just make too much sense imo to pass up. 

Its also the kind of deal that could easily wait for summer or at the draft. 

#hockeytrades

We need top-6 LWs, but a top-4 D prospect could well be looked at.  That being said, the way Hutton and Stecher are showing themselves right now, our (if healthy) D might look not too bad next season:

Edler - Gudbranson

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi

Tanev may be on borrowed time, and Edler's health is no guarantee but we should have Juolevi close to stepping in sooner than later and there's also UFA time to consider.

19 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Sekeres is absolute garbage source.

Who cares? Every other source is blocked or banned on here... they should really take the tag 'rumors' off. Just verified trades, no debating and speculating allowed.

Even on trade deadline weekend theres hardly anything interesting to talk about here.

Hello mods, why is this fake news thread still open? 

Ive already cited a source.

https://www.uticaod.com/news/20190221/illness-forces-comets-to-add-forward

By Ben Birnell

Posted Feb 21, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Illness has created some uncertainty for the Utica Comets going into a pair of games this weekend.

With a few players ill Thursday, the Comets called up 6-foot, 191-pound Kyle Thomas from their ECHL affiliate in Kalamazoo.

Forward Wacey Hamilton, Kole Lind and Jonathan Dahlen each were absent Thursday because of illness, according to Comets coach Trent Cull. Dahlen has not practiced this week and it is not clear if any of the players will be in the lineup this weekend.

The Comets are also without Jonah Gadjovich (upper-body injury), who is questionable for games this weekend. And, Zack MacEwen and Adam Gaudette are on recall with the Vancouver Canucks, who are dealing with injuries.

The 29-year-old righthanded Thomas -- who was signed to AHL deal last summer and spent time with the Comets during preseason -- has 15 goals and 38 points in 41 games with the Wings this season. That was third-most among active Kalamazoo players when he was recalled. He’s played in 240 total ECHL games and 19 AHL contests.

Goaltender Michael Leighton -- who didn’t practice with the Comets the last two days -- was on the ice Thursday. He was signed to an NHL deal with the Canucks this week.

The Comets -- who have a seven-game point-streak -- get a visit from the North Division-leading Rochester on Friday before playing at Binghamton on Saturday.

Archived