The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dahlen on the block?

Tanev

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Ummmm. Petey would probably be the mackinnon analogy.

Did you watch them?

Dahlen was the heart and soul guy, brimming with passion. He literally took charge. EP was the slicked skilled guy who, more quietly, racked up the points.

Mackinnon does not dominate in any one area, he excels because nobody wants it more than he does. His heart takes his skill level into another stratosphere.

Obviously EP has proven how hungry he is since then, but Dahlen on Timra was truly inspiring.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'd actually be ok with that, given the right deal.

Me too Boeser will get paid big because of the goals and he’s valuable for that reason but his speed and defensive game aren’t great.  If we could get a more complete winger or great D-man around the same age then sure. Also there is a decent UFA market at forward but not much at D outside of EK. 

Deal would have to be great considering Boeser’s age and ability. 

You posters are insensitive. :ph34r:

In this new world you need to give Sekeres support and love. Make him feel safe so he can express himself. Let him check the x box for his new driver license as maybe he does not identify with anything in particular.

It doesn't matter that he is a window-licker.

He deserves your utter support and should be able to type whatever vomit worthy crap a person of his ilk is capable of.

4 hours ago, nergish said:

Did you watch them?

Dahlen was the heart and soul guy, brimming with passion. He literally took charge. EP was the slicked skilled guy who, more quietly, racked up the points.

Mackinnon does not dominate in any one area, he excels because nobody wants it more than he does. His heart takes his skill level into another stratosphere.

Obviously EP has proven how hungry he is since then, but Dahlen on Timra was truly inspiring.

Besides being one of the best skaters in the league? 

I don't understand how an organization can "sour" on a player after just 1 season in the AHL.

That being said, it does make sense if the Canucks are trying to make an actual hockey move and that Dahlen is a trading chip.  As much as fans wish to keep and develop every prospect to play for the Canucks, it's just simply not possible.  

10 hours ago, tas said:

and how'd that trade turn out?

I can't find the quote, but at the time of the trade, benning said that they believed they knew what forsling was going to turn into, and it was an adam clendening type player. the only difference was clendening was a few years more developed. 

here we are, 4.5 years later, and forsling is struggling to make an nhl impact and actually has worse numbers than clendening for their respective careers. 

It was a bad trade from the moment it was announced. Forsling has already played more NHL games & has more NHL points than Clendening. Clendening is almost 4 years older.

If the Canucks hadn't been trying to rush things right away, Forsling would have been around as a potential PP guy & maybe they wouldn't have had to throw away a pick for Phillip Larsen or Derrick Pouliot.

I guess the silver lining is Clendening was apart of the deal to get Sutter.... who is now on his way to being replaced by Gaudette. 

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It was a bad trade from the moment it was announced. Forsling has already played more NHL games & has more NHL points than Clendening. Clendening is almost 4 years older.

If the Canucks hadn't been trying to rush things right away, Forsling would have been around as a potential PP guy & maybe they wouldn't have had to throw away a pick for Phillip Larsen or Derrick Pouliot.

I guess the silver lining is Clendening was apart of the deal to get Sutter.... who is now on his way to being replaced by Gaudette. 

2 more points in 15 more games isn't worth crying over imo.  

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No, it wasn't. Get out of here with your hindsight crap. Forsling was a fifth round pick and Clendening was doing well in the AHL. At the time it made sense. While that trade sucks looking back on it, you need to stop overrating Forsling.

10 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

your still sour about that? also havent even been following him, is he even that great/good?

Forsling is the perfect example of "just a guy".  

He's got an average shot, he has average passing, both his offensive and defensive games are average.  He's got average to above average skating and poke checking, but he has below average size and strength. 

He's an okay bottom pairing defenseman as of now. He always tries to make the safe play and limits his mistakes. But he has no flash whatsoever to his game.  Perhaps he'll develop into a 3/4 guy since he's still pretty young, but he's already been leapfrogged by Dahlstrom and Koekkoek and slowly becoming the consistent 7th d-man getting scratched. 

Overall, he doesn't hurt your team being on the roster, but he's a player that's easily replaced.  

That's my two cents on him.

29 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

No, it wasn't. Get out of here with your hindsight crap. Forsling was a fifth round pick and Clendening was doing well in the AHL. At the time it made sense. While that trade sucks looking back on it, you need to stop overrating Forsling.

I searched for the trade thread & couldn't find it. If you could find it that would be awesome. I didn't like the trade at the time but was willing to be optimistic. I liked Forsling.

In hindsight its only another example of how rushing things has put this team behind. What team does Clendening even play for? Forsling is a depth player but still plays in the NHL. More than I can say about Larsen. 

30 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

2 more points in 15 more games isn't worth crying over imo.  

No, I agree. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out why managements philosophy with that move, and others that have followed, haven't put us any further ahead. 

8 hours ago, nergish said:

Did you watch them?

Until this McDavid kid showed up, I thought MacKinnon was the fastest skater with crazy acceleration. He may not dominate in any one area but he excels in almost all areas on top of near dominant skating.

Archived