The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

Just now, spook007 said:

Can we just agree, that non of us knows exactly the reason for the trade.

You don't see Benning suggesting the SHL... have you got a tape recorder of the conversation between Dahlen/ Dahlen agent and Benning.

Others posted Dahlens response to the question Did you request a trade? NO I DON'T THINK SO... The boy damn right would know if he requested a trade or not... this is not a hard question to answer YES or NO... 

The crap and arguments amongst folks here, who hasn't got a clue is amazing... None of you know, what was/wasn't said. 

Folks just choose to believe what fits their narratives...

Remember that he’s a swede… He isn’t used to translate everything. So if you judge him for his use of words you judge yourself. 

I would like to hear you try talk swedish.

Not even google translate will help you there.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Remember that he’s a swede… He isn’t used to translate everything. So if you judge him for his use of words you judge yourself. 

I would like to hear you try talk swedish.

Not even google translate will help you there.

I speak Danish if that helps.... 

My point went straight in over your head... I'm not saying it isn't true... I'm saying none of us knows, what was said or not... To use Dahlen said No, I don't think so as an argument that Benning lied, is ridiculous...

Maybe Dahlens agent said a trade would be for the best, Maybe his mum didn't like Benning or the food in Utice? Or maybe Dahlen didn't like it there? Maybe Dahlen kissed Bennings daughter, Or maybe Benning just saw Dahlen as a problem (right or wrong), he didn't need... None of us knows...

It may be part of the deal that certain thing were left unsaid in press.

Edited by spook007

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I speak Danish if that helps.... 

My point went straight in over your head... I'm not saying it isn't true... I'm saying none of us knows, what was said or not... To use Dahlen said No, I don't think so as an argument that Benning lied, is ridiculous...

Maybe Dahlens agent said a trade would be for the best, Maybe his mum didn't like Benning or the food in Utice? Or maybe Dahlen didn't like it there? Maybe Dahlen kissed Bennings daughter, Or maybe Benning just saw Dahlen as a problem (right or wrong), he didn't need... None of us knows...

It may be part of the deal that certain thing were left unsaid in press.

Ok, So Benning has a daughter. That explains everything… :bigblush:

I agree with you but if you look what posts I quote it’s the ones who still talks about Dahlen as a villain and Benning is their godfather.  
Do you really think I should let them write lies? 
Besides that I still use Dahlen as an example of why par example Petey plays sub standard sometimes. 
I will continue talking psychology because that is sadly something a lot here seem to not understand… Or they have an agenda so they don’t want to talk about that aspect of the game. 

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

The farm team coach literally told the kid to ask for a trade 

Can’t be losing prospects like this. Kenny Holland has multiple Cups for a reason. He knows what he’s doing. 

look what he’s done in EDM since he got there. That team has depth now and signed HYman and made solid trades 

there are levels to this game 

Trent cull said that? That I didn't know. But yes we did bleed a lot of prospect depth really for no reason. Don't care if ppl here like or don't like gadj or mac but at least they are depth and we lost it for a useless guy in the press box now 

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

The farm team coach literally told the kid to ask for a trade 

Cull and Green work tight. At least I assume that because it’s the Canucks investment Cull is coaching.

So if Cull said something like that Green didn’t want Dahlen in his plans. 
But for now it’s only hearsay. 

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Can you put forward some proof of that?

Where did Dahlen say he wanted a trade?

Here's a very recent article on the matter: https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

While that article doesn't specifically mention who wanted the trade, there's no other reason why an agent would actually request something get done and it's pretty evident there was some animosity happening at the time. There are other articles out there that do claim Dahlen requested a trade. I just felt this article was more relevant at the moment.

Also, for the record, I'm unlikely to respond to most of your posts at this point. I don't see you as being someone I care to have a discussion with. I don't know if it's an English barrier or what, but there's always some weird disconnect with you between what's being said and what's actually going on and, as much as I've tried to be nice and give you logic, you clearly aren't willing to listen to logic.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Here's a very recent article on the matter: https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

While that article doesn't specifically mention who wanted the trade, there's no other reason why an agent would actually request something get done and it's pretty evident there was some animosity happening at the time. There are other articles out there that do claim Dahlen requested a trade. I just felt this article was more relevant at the moment.

Also, for the record, I'm unlikely to respond to most of your posts at this point. I don't see you as being someone I care to have a discussion with. I don't know if it's an English barrier or what, but there's always some weird disconnect with you between what's being said and what's actually going on and, as much as I've tried to be nice and give you logic, you clearly aren't willing to listen to logic.

Yeah, the language can create an barrier.

Regarding Dahlen I am against the vitriol being spewed against him still and we don’t know who’s fault it is. 
I’m not sure what logic you talk about but in this case Dahlen says he didn’t ask for a trade. He wanted some sort of change and it’s here I want to know what Benning did before the Agent asked for a trade.

You probably agree that the agent and Benning had negotions in different directions.

That means when the agent ask for a trade Benning has left the agent without any more options than a trade. Where is the offer to go back to Timrå? They could always send him to SHL.

Benning hasn’t said anything about he made Dahlen that offer to rehabilitate himself.

Ask yourself why Benning never said a word about that.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Dahlen asked out of Utica but not for the reasons implied by Benning.  He knew he was not NHL ready but wanted to develop in a better environment.  He did not feel comfortable in Utica.  Palmu didn’t either and cited a lack of communication.

San Jose 1st wanted Dahlen to get his confidence back and simply get back to being happy playing after a rough time in Utica.  They agreed with him that the best place would be back home.  He had finished the season with another concussion.  He didn’t even attend training camp as he knew he had work to do.  San Jose always said he was a long term project.  

Two people out of twenty something players on Utica - why did Canucks trade Dahlen so fast if it was such a simple fix at going back home? Surely the Canucks could've accommodated such a simple request, since he wasn't going to play for Green anytime soon. What seems to be obvious that people are glossing over was that Benning abruptly traded Dahlen, and Dahlen apparently started to use damage control.

It could be that Vancouver mishandled the situation, but it also could be that Dahlen wanted out (as a bluff) and it backfired on him, at least short term.

Was it so bad that in the one AHL year that he didn't even complete it? Why did the other players aside from Palmu not complain about this so-called communication error?

I am not saying that the situation was simple, but to talk about Dahlen not being part of the problem is very one-sided. This is exactly the bias that Timrafan has been consistently driving.

Edited by Dazzle

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I am not saying that the situation was simple, but to talk about Dahlen not being part of the problem is very one-sided. This is exactly the bias that Timrafan has been consistently driving.

Hello!!

Haven’t you seen how bad Bennings communication skills are?

Just the last two years you got players coming forward that Benning(or someone lower in the command chain) didn’t communicate, Stecher, Tryamkin, Tanev, Dahlen, Toffoli. I don’t know if Palmu also were a victim of bad communication.

Do you really believe that a young prospect is to blame in a situation like this?

Benning has played or worked inside NHL organisations almost forever so he’s not without experience.

So if something like this happens you don’t blame the young, inexperienced player. 
You just cut ties and wish him the very best. 
So Benning is a jerk and a bad communicator. 
He could have solved every situation smoothly if he were a good Gm. At least man up and cut ties in a friendly way. 

So what has bias with how Benning act as a GM? Are you still stuck on Dahlen?

This is where you got a big problem.

Shift your focus to Benning and talk about how he handles situations instead. 

Thanks for let me practise English. :bigblush:

Edited by Timråfan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Hello!!

Haven’t you seen how bad Bennings communication skills are?

Just the last two years you got players coming forward that Benning(or someone lower in the command chain) didn’t communicate, Stecher, Tryamkin, Tanev, Dahlen, Toffoli. I don’t know if Palmu also were a victim of bad communication.

Do you really believe that a young prospect is to blame in a situation like this?

Benning has played or worked inside NHL organisations almost forever so he’s not without experience.

So if something like this happens you don’t blame the young, inexperienced player. 
You just cut ties and wish him the very best. 
So Benning is a jerk and a bad communicator. 
He could have solved every situation smoothly if he were a good Gm. At least man up and cut ties in a friendly way. 

So what has bias with how Benning act as a GM? Are you still stuck on Dahlen?

This is where you got a big problem.

Shift your focus to Benning and talk about how he handles situations instead. 

Thanks for let me practise English. :bigblush:

To add to this, Shawn Matthias also spoke on a podcast about the lack of communication.  He said that when his contract was up, he was not given any sort of call from management as to whether they were keeping him or not.  I can't remember the name but I'm sure it was posted here on CDC a while back.

Of course, for some users, factual information that goes against Benning is "fake" and goes against their narrative :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

At this point, arguing against Benning being a bad communicator is like arguing against water being wet.

It's not the #1 attribute a good GM has in terms of importance or anything but yeah, it's definitely not one of Benning's strong suits.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AV. said:

To add to this, Shawn Matthias also spoke on a podcast about the lack of communication.  He said that when his contract was up, he was not given any sort of call from management as to whether they were keeping him or not.  I can't remember the name but I'm sure it was posted here on CDC a while back.

Of course, for some users, factual information that goes against Benning is "fake" and goes against their narrative :rolleyes:

Matthias was coming off his best goal totals as well with 18 and was a strong fit. Brad Richardson also was a really good fit and not resigned. We ended up rushing Virtanen and McCann into the lineup instead. 

59 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

At this point, arguing against Benning being a bad communicator is like arguing against water being wet.

It's not the #1 attribute a good GM has in terms of importance or anything but yeah, it's definitely not one of Benning's strong suits.

And that’s why you need someone like a Laurence Gilman who is, to offset that weakness.

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Trent cull said that? That I didn't know. But yes we did bleed a lot of prospect depth really for no reason. Don't care if ppl here like or don't like gadj or mac but at least they are depth and we lost it for a useless guy in the press box now 

Yes cull did say that to Dhalin

Given the fact that we are pretty thin on the LW (natural LW) in terms of offensive talent, and yes, I consider Petey a centre, it would've been nice if we kept Dahlen looking back now. We have Miller who's sort of an interchangeable with Petey in terms of LW/C but "next best up" is Pearson lol.

"Character issues" or whatever people want to label him, he's thriving in SJ.

I think GMJB gave him too short a leash and wanted him shipped out as soon as he learned JD wasn't happy at that moment in time. 

Petey and him would've made a good partnership.

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlén played in the second division in Sweden with Timrå, he never even played one game in the SHL.  Meanwhile, Karlsson is playing in the SHL this year and is doing very well.  He is also 2 years younger than Dahlén, plays in a position of need for Vancouver (right hand shot centre) and has more size and defensive acumen which is what we are currently lacking.

I don't know what happened with the whole trade thing, all I know is that Benning made a hockey trade and it's still too early to determine who the winner of that trade is.  Dahlén seems to be breaking out at almost age 24, Karlsson is turning 22 so let's see what he can do this year in the SHL.

Hm not really. We actually need more offence. 

Isn't the reason why we shipped Gaudette out was because he was going nowhere on this team? Especially when viewing him as a potential full-time centre? He was also right-handed as well but that didn't necessarily matter when catering to our needs.

Sure. Maybe he didn't fill that defensive acumenm, but it's not like Karlsson is replacing Bo at 2C or Petey/Miller at 1C.

We have Dickinson and guys interchangeable guys like Sutter as our 3 and 4 C. I don't know if he ends up panning out better than either of those players realistically and those types of players are easy to pick up in FA.

We have enough solid right wingers. Brock, Garland, Vasily...etc. 

Not really deep on the LW talent with Pearson, Highmore, Dowling, Hoglander and Miller. I think Miller and Hoglander are the standouts obviously but imo Dahlen > Pearson, Highmore, Dowling...etc.

If we had Dahlen, Hoglander and Miller then we would have three solid lines with LW'ers that can actually score. 

But we will have to see. It's too early to tell but as of this moment, this is my opinion.

45 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Given the fact that we are pretty thin on the LW (natural LW) in terms of offensive talent, and yes, I consider Petey a centre, it would've been nice if we kept Dahlen looking back now. We have Miller who's sort of an interchangeable with Petey in terms of LW/C but "next best up" is Pearson lol.

"Character issues" or whatever people want to label him, he's thriving in SJ.

I think GMJB gave him too short a leash and wanted him shipped out as soon as he learned JD wasn't happy at that moment in time. 

Petey and him would've made a good partnership.

Hindsight's 20/20.  For every Dahlen, McCann or Forsling that we've traded, there's a Shinkaruk/ Gaudette/ Corrado/ Jordan Subban/ Gadjovich that's departed but who hasn't/ didn't amount to much, so it's best not to always look at what "could've been".  For all we know, Benning could have slotted him under Hoglander and Podkolzin and so he might not have the opportunities which he has in SJ (he's 1st RW and on the 1st PP since Timo Meier is out).

• Cheers 3

59 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Hm not really. We actually need more offence. 

Isn't the reason why we shipped Gaudette out was because he was going nowhere on this team? Especially when viewing him as a potential full-time centre? He was also right-handed as well but that didn't necessarily matter when catering to our needs.

Sure. Maybe he didn't fill that defensive acumenm, but it's not like Karlsson is replacing Bo at 2C or Petey/Miller at 1C.

We have Dickinson and guys interchangeable guys like Sutter as our 3 and 4 C. I don't know if he ends up panning out better than either of those players realistically and those types of players are easy to pick up in FA.

We have enough solid right wingers. Brock, Garland, Vasily...etc. 

Not really deep on the LW talent with Pearson, Highmore, Dowling, Hoglander and Miller. I think Miller and Hoglander are the standouts obviously but imo Dahlen > Pearson, Highmore, Dowling...etc.

If we had Dahlen, Hoglander and Miller then we would have three solid lines with LW'ers that can actually score. 

But we will have to see. It's too early to tell but as of this moment, this is my opinion.

I don't see Podz sitting as the 3RW indefinitely.  He played LW and RW in the KHL, so I think he could slip in alongside Bo and Garland.  Dahlen is a top 6 or bust player.  Would rather have Pears on the 3rd and make it a shutdown line.

Lotto line

Podz  Bo  Garland

Pears  Dicks Motte

Dows  Lamm  Bailey

• Cheers 1