The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will not qualify Derrick Pouliot

43 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Randomly selected a game from this past season. 

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/van-vs-nsh/2018/12/13/2018020483#game=2018020483,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

DP played over 17min without any PP or PK time. Yes, I know it wasn't the norm and Quads was injured, but it occurred several times this season. 

I think,  if there's a lesson here,  it's that we need to look closely at defensive depth at the draft this June so we don't have to play guys 17min/night that aren't even worth qualifying at seasons end.

Yup! :o

I realize the effort difference merits a different discussion. And even that he played better!

But at the end of the year we also had Alex Biega playing 20 minutes in some games?

Holy Cow!  

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I hope OJ is paying attention. Once healed up if he can get his game together there is a spot in the bigs waiting for him. 

Well presumably on the left side:

Edler

Hughes

Hutton

It is possible that we don’t manage to sign Edler, in which case we certainly go find a veteran UFA.  We won’t go into the season with two rookie LD and Hutton.

We could also trade Hutton, which i would be all for; still not sure it opens up a spot for Juolevi due to the same issue of two rookies.  

We won’t have Juolevi up and in the press box as our 4th pairing guy.

I suspect the ideal plan would be to have Juolevi get some injury time in the NHL and if he is looking OK, trade Hutton at the deadline.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Provost said:

Well presumably on the left side:

Edler

Hughes

Hutton

It is possible that we don’t manage to sign Edler, in which case we certainly go find a veteran UFA.  We won’t go into the season with two rookie LD and Hutton.

We could also trade Hutton, which i would be all for; still not sure it opens up a spot for Juolevi due to the same issue of two rookies.  I suspect the ideal plan would be to have Juolevi get some injury time in the NHL and if he is looking OK, trade Hutton at the deadline.

The silence on the Edler extension is deafening.

Watch him pull a Yannick Weber, go to a contending team, and have a decent couple years before going to Europe.

He was average at best, completely lost at worst. I like him, wish it worked out. But talent isn’t enough in the NHL where there are equally as talented people that’ll outwork you. 

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I am not so sure this means Pouliot will be gone from the Canucks' organization. He had arbitration rights and I am sure the Canucks wanted to avoid that process and any qualifying offer they made could not reduce Pouliot's salary. A qualifying offer is a 1 year one way contract meaning the Canucks would have to pay him his $1.1M contract in the NHL or AHL. They could now make a deal with him as a UFA at a lower salary and make it a two way contract should they choose to do so. This would also allow for him to start the season in Utica without having to clear waivers.

(think I am wrong about the waivers part now that I think about it).....

Pouliot may not want anything to do with this scenario but I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

That's exactly what the Caps did with Devante Smith-Pelly last year.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Would hope Benning got to go over to the U18s to evaluate some of this draft class.  Pretty sure both sides want to get it done so I'm not worried.

Hope so. Eddy is so underappreciated by many on these boards. Of course he has some faults but as soon as we lose Eddy we need to find a guy to eat those tough minutes and bring his leadership. Plays tough too. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Watch Dubas sign him. 

Oh God. If TO signed Pouliot it would be equal to the week TO got Muzzin. Muzzin was the best defenceman in the NHL that week and days to follow.

Edited by rekker
  • Haha 1

I just got blocked by a decently prominent Canucks twitter user who was calling out other fans for defending Pouliot. All I asked was "who was defending Pouliot this season?". I guess the block was easier than actually thinking of examples. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I just got blocked by a decently prominent Canucks twitter user who was calling out other fans for defending Pouliot. All I asked was "who was defending Pouliot this season?". I guess the block was easier than actually thinking of examples. 

Blocked on twitter? Is that the new “I’m gonna take my ball and go home?”

actually sounds rather ball-less to me

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3