The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will not qualify Derrick Pouliot

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Watch him pull a Yannick Weber, go to a contending team, and have a decent couple years before going to Europe.

He was average at best, completely lost at worst. I like him, wish it worked out. But talent isn’t enough in the NHL where there are equally as talented people that’ll outwork you. 

I actually think he could flourish on a team that will give him lesser minutes like a Nashville or Tampa for example, especially as a budget dman.

Perhaps the team doesn't think he's worth the qualifying offer and could still sign him at a lower value, but with the way the tweet is worded, it doesn't sound like this will happen. He could be a serviceable depth dman at around league minimum.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I actually think he could flourish on a team that will give him lesser minutes like a Nashville or Tampa for example, especially as a budget dman.

Perhaps the team doesn't think he's worth the qualifying offer and could still sign him at a lower value, but with the way the tweet is worded, it doesn't sound like this will happen. He could be a serviceable depth dman at around league minimum.

As long as that league is the AHL, sure.  No room in this league for defensemen who can't play defense.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Aw man, I’ll miss the Poo-a-lot jokes, but definitely not his brain dead giveaways. I have never seen a defenceman who made me actually physically hit my own head against the wall in frustration and there have been some bad ones in our franchise. 

Guess we need to finding a new whipping boy? 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

He likes big poops and he can not lie

All other toilets can not deny.

When a forward dekes in with itty bitty fakes

And the puck's lost in your skates

Son you get done

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

I have to think it's going to be Tyler Motte or Tim Schaller

Motte's a beauty. He will be whipped for "not scorung nuf goolz" by dozens of dimwits. But that kid is 110% puck hounding, effective, Hansen-esque effort. Yannick was nothing more than a puck hound for years.

Players I will be targeting with my whip -

Eriksson

Sutter, a guy I used to love for his massive balls, but now I question why the &^@# we need him.

Schaller

Any UFA forward JB signs this summer

As for the D, anyone who's slacking AND BAUMER. Baumer sucks

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

I for one am excited for the turnover.

He got his shot, it didn't work out, fair play to the Canucks and to him. Maybe he lands somewhere as a 'last stop' reclamation project on Ottawa-level team where cheap breathing corpses are required... or maybe it's off to Europe.

If guys can't hack it, I'm pleased to see that they get moved on. "asset management" questions or not.

This makes me think Loui might actually find a home after July 1, especially if a 'cheapskate' team can't find anybody worth having. There's still a chance that perennial 60-point player Loui might wake up if he's the only guy and ZERO pressure on him to do anything.

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I just got blocked by a decently prominent Canucks twitter user who was calling out other fans for defending Pouliot. All I asked was "who was defending Pouliot this season?". I guess the block was easier than actually thinking of examples. 

Those guys can dish it out with a shovel but can’t take a teaspoon worth of criticism.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well done, Jim. Moving on from past mistakes. 

Oct 3, 2017  Pedan & 4th for Derrick Pouliot.......mistake?  Hell no.  Young, former 8 OA pick but he needed development.  Rather than place him on waivers, Pitt moved him for a song.  

If there was  a mistake, it was taking the better part of 2 seasons to make a decision on him.  There's no surprise here.  Benning has done the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Could be that drafting Hughes effectively pushes Pouliot too far down the depth chart.   With Hutton recovering his game somewhat, Edler probably returning, and Juolevi eventually going to be healthy (and NHL ready) - Pouliot was/is in tough regardless to earn a spot on that left side.

But it could also be that we see a repeat of last year, when Pouliot wasn't qualified and took a pay cut to remain with the organization that showed interest / gave him an opportunity.

Hard to say if the team will bother repeating the process - perhaps the lack of ice time that Pouliot saw down the stretch is an indication .

I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him - he's had struggles for sure (seemingly with confidence) but he also has some strengths - a great skater that maintains coverage well - genereally his struggles, like Hutton's a year ago, were with puck-moving/first passes in his own zone.  I thought Pouliot may have benefited from taking more risks once he gained the neutral zone - didn't take a lot of chances, didn't necessarily use his skating to produce entries as well as may be hoped/expected.... but he's still only 25 - and with young D, sometimes it takes them a few years longer....hope he doesnt' wind up a Schultz/late-bloomer that gains form (at age 26, somewhere else....).

I realize he's the favoured CDC whipping boy among the error-gazers around here - who form their opinions on incidental/situational bases......but when you look at his objective outcomes, even last season when he arguably struggled, they weren't bad.

50.1% corsi.

2.8 on ice goals for per 60 5 on 5 (tied for 4th on the team), 2.8 on ice goals against (13 players were higher).

76 hits, 71 blocks (62 games).

52.2% ozone starts - 12 pts = not great production.

His 39 giveaways were the most on the blueline - second to EP's 52 - which is what tends to dominate people's (error-gazing) perspective on Pouliot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I am not so sure this means Pouliot will be gone from the Canucks' organization. He had arbitration rights and I am sure the Canucks wanted to avoid that process and any qualifying offer they made could not reduce Pouliot's salary. A qualifying offer is a 1 year one way contract meaning the Canucks would have to pay him his $1.1M contract in the NHL or AHL. They could now make a deal with him as a UFA at a lower salary and make it a two way contract should they choose to do so. This would also allow for him to start the season in Utica without having to clear waivers.

(think I am wrong about the waivers part now that I think about it).....

Pouliot may not want anything to do with this scenario but I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

yeah - he'll have to clear waivers regardless of whether it's a one way or two way contract - all that effects is his salary, not CBA waiver eligibility.

It might be in his best interest to actually sign with Vancouver at less than his qualifying offer and if he can't make the roster - at a reasonable cap hit he may be more attractive as a potential waiver claim - at a time when teams have weeded through their own group and have a better idea of their health, depth, etc than July 1st. 

Personally, I'd probably sign him if he's willing to sign for 700 or 800 k, assuming they have enough contract space to do so.

• Upvote 1

There were times in the early part of the season, he looked like he was finally getting it. Then as the season wore on he went into back habits and bad decision making. 

He has the tools. He just can't put it all together. And if you pressure him, he makes mistakes. Put him on a team with some good defensemen. And put him on a 3rd line pairing. Get him some one to one coaching. He might turn into a serviceable d-man. But he's going to have to put in a lot of work to make that happen. 

He's someone else's problem now. Maybe he's just one of those guys who can dominate in junior but can't translate into the NHL?