The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

dpn1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks need Edler but not if it takes a deal with term and a  NTC / NMC which result is the club losing a stud in the next expansion draft.....

Edler with no NTC but you know he will be asking for one....

Pretty sure the thing holding the two

sides from a deal is that NTC/protection from the expansion draft which Edlers camp wants but the Canucks refuse to grant. Benning isn’t that stupid. 

21 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Canucks can afford to wait after July 1.     We might get a big name.  Besides even anybody else offered Edler the money, we could always match.    Maybe we are watching a different Edler.  I think he is over-rated in this market. 

Edler had a very solid year and was a huge part of the team not falling apart.  Personally, I think they need him back and if an NMC is what it takes, so be it.......he's a critical part of this team and will allow QH, OJ etc to develop without having to play tough defensive mins against the best fwds on other teams.

25 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Canucks can afford to wait after July 1.     We might get a big name.  Besides even anybody else offered Edler the money, we could always match.    Maybe we are watching a different Edler.  I think he is over-rated in this market. 

How do they match?  Are you assuming Edler will give them right of first refusal?   After July 1st, Edler will be a UFA, the Canucks have no right to match.

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Only other decent options are Myers and Karlsson, both right-handers who will take a huge overpayment.  All other UFA defensemen are bottom pairing quality at best.

I wonder if Larsson, top 4 righty, Swede, UFA next year if not re signed could be an option July. Would love to sign him over Gardiner or Meyers this year. 

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

He should retire now while he can still physically function, his injury list is a mile and he's a millionaire 10 times over so he can spend a ton of family time as well instead of getting beat on for the next few years...

Actually more than 40 times over.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alexander-edler

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

He's worth 5 absolute tops and even that is too much at his point in his career

Edler is a top pairing D man on 60 or 65 % of teams. Top 4 on all but 3 or 5 teams. And those teams, Tampa, would love to have him if they could afford it.

Kills, penalties, can play PP, can play against teams top match ups, can handle the puck with top players, play 23 or 25 minutes, contribute offensively. 

He's a very serviceable, quality D man even if he's not all star calibre.  

For example; I could see him on a top pair in Pitt with Letang next year.  And he would approach 50 points. On a huge top pair in Florida with Ekblad. Trade pucks with Barkov, Panarin & Huberdeau. Yandle skates better, but not much else.  

You might think not. You're welcome to your opinion. 

7 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Actually more than 40 times over.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/alexander-edler

Makes you think of money as nothing when your health is gone though... man if i had that kind of bling and was over 30 and still had my health to some degree, i'd retire in a heartbeat but i suppose winning and losing could be like a drug that gets you down or on top of the world...

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Losing Hamhuis and Edler for nothing is colossal mismanagement and anybody involved should be fired.  We/Benning/Aqualinni are going to look so stupid if Edler walks

This is always the possibility with a ntc.  The player holds the cards.  He played his best hand when he refused to entertain a trade at TDL. He wanted to stay, and that was in his right as per his contract.

Now he has a choice: Sign a contract with us that may not be ideal for him but is fair for both parties (I do assume Benning is being fair) or do what he didn't want to do in the first place which is pick up and move elsewhere.

In the end, I'm actually confident he will re-sign with us. Not sure what it will look like, but there was a suggestion a 3 year contract which pays low at first and then high in the 3rd year when the no trade clause runs out.  He remains exposed, but at... Say... 9m a season Seattle wouldnt take that.  Makes him completely untradeable in that 3rd year too but whatever. 

I'm not sure if this idea passes the rulebook, but if so that could totally work.  3 first year, 6 next, 9 final. He ensures he isn't traded, but also helps the Canucks protect a young guy.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler is a top pairing D man on 60 or 65 % of teams. Top 4 on all but 3 or 5 teams. And those teams, Tampa, would love to have him if they could afford it.

Kills, penalties, can play PP, can play against teams top match ups, can handle the puck with top players, play 23 or 25 minutes, contribute offensively. 

He's a very serviceable, quality D man even if he's not all star calibre.  

For example; I could see him on a top pair in Pitt with Letang next year.  And he would approach 50 points. On a huge top pair in Florida with Ekblad. Trade pucks with Barkov, Panarin & Huberdeau. Yandle skates better, but not much else.  

You might think not. You're welcome to your opinion. 

Im not arguing his skill etc, im arguing his long list of injuries and he hasn't played a full season since 2015, if he wasn't so beaten up then i'd for sure say keep him but he's going in the same direction Salo did... sadly...

Just shake my head at all the scrubs trashing Edler.  A loyal Canuck that loves the city and team, and wanted to spend his whole career here.  Probably same punks that were calling him done 2 years ago.  

Anyway.  Hope he stays, he's one of our few D that can actually play D.  We need Tryamkin back!

I am a huge Edler fan, BUT, there are a few concerns I have with him. 

- He is inconsistent and tends to be better during contract years. 

- injury prone which will get worse as he gets older

- he is getting slower and last year he showed it is getting worse. Similar to what the Sedins went through

- he had a chance to "take one for the team" last year which he declined. A character flaw?

He was our best dman last year but we were weak at that position for sure. JB seems to want to take care of this through FA plus we will have Hughes and possibly OJ this year. 

I would like to see a better version of Edler, preferably one that can hit and one with a bit more foot speed. The money is there to acquire a replacement so either he takes a 2 year deal or he can try his luck somewhere else. Sorry Eddy.

12 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

We have to think team build here... Edler is done. We are trying bring a cup to this city. We keep hugging the jocks of these fan favs we are gonna stay bottom feeders like Edmonton 

I think you are correct Eddy had a chance to help the team out last year and simply declined. I guess winning a cup is not high on his priority list. He has a chance to help the team out again this year will he do it? If he does fine, but if not, then he was not the right kind of player we need moving forward anyway and we will be much better off without him. 

2 hours ago, jimmyking8888 said:

There are only 14 players in NHL over 33 years of age.   The majority of team do not like old defenseman.   Money can be spend on younger , faster and more hungry players.   I say good bye and good luck to Edler.   Even they want to sign him , why not wait until free agency.  Edler would certainly go back to Vancouver to match any offer.   

I’m not sure where you got that number, as there were over 90 players turning 33 or older this past season on the active rosters of the 31 teams, 35 of those were dmen 

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's absolute trash in his own end and in all honesty is such a liability he shouldn't even be in the NHL.

Actually he’s TOs version of Edler, a regular whipping boy but when he went down late in the season they couldn’t win without him and had the worse stretch of their season.   Gardiner was ranked as the 9th best UFA this year by THN, second best defenseman ahead of Myers (11) and Edler (17).   Age matters too...as does ones injury history.   Elder is going to be 34 next year...in a league that’s getting faster and younger we’d be silly to not look at younger options that can play more than 65 games on a regular basis.

Archived