The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

10 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Eddy had a chance to help the team out last year

He did help out the team last year and all the years on this current contract. He signed and played for less money in return for a NTC.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

please don't lump us all in the same boat. I'm sure there are some unreasonable Timra fans. 

Well, due to Bennings "honest" way to answer questions fans tend to use his answer to "hate". That is not fun for family and friends... This is a big, official, public forum that children often go to. And here they learn to hate and despice their own players. Talk about force players away I've seen a few fans talk $&!# at home but not to this degree. Here it's awful. They aren't fans of the club when they treat their own players like that. 

He wants protection from the expansion draft. I get it, but I don't think he will at this point in his career, no matter where he goes. If Vancouver isn't going to do it, he thinks San Jose will?! And also, could this be a fit because Karlsson could be close to be re-signing and he wants to play with him? 2014 Olympics had some good chemistry.

I find it ironic, how CDC is now, in panic mode over Edler's demands, and possible departure...……….

His statement and actions to prevent a trade, using his ability to block, using his NTC, then to indicate he wants more or will leave reeks of negotiation posturing

" I want to play in Vancouver" comment comes from the heart, the "I want a NTC" past 2 years, does not indicate he is getting good advice, or it is again

negotiation posturing. Or maybe Eddy isn't as married to Vancouver as he said he is.

I find it also funny how CDC feels that this is somehow different than Tryamkin leaving and how selfish CDC thought it was...……...

Seems to me, it is much the same...…………..the player is making a "personal decision" that is not in the clubs best interest

Yet, you want Edler back, but not Tryamkin...…...

Prediction...………..Edler gets a 4 year 7 million per contract, with a NTC in the first 2 years, from the Canucks...…..no team touches that at his age

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

If the sticking point is expansion draft protection, clearly the Canucks have agreed to a long-ish term deal (3+ years). I doubt management will sign him to be expansion bait. He’s too old. Just forget the NMC Eagle. 

I'm guessing Benning has given his agent a couple options.

1- 2 years, good money with an NMC.

2- 3 years, fair money, no NMC (at least for the ED).

• Cheers 1

It's one thing to get the best deal you can get. It's another that you are forcing the team to choose between an aging, veteran d-man and up and coming new players on the roster and forcing them to expose one of them to the expansion draft. 

Two year deal makes sense. But I have a feeling Edler is looking for security, not what's the best interest of the Canucks. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I doubt he will read your posts so perhaps it is ok still for him to come to Vancouver.   I agree though, if he read your posts and thought that was what a "fan" in Vancouver was all about, he (like any sane FA), would think twice for sure.   Good call and great job of self-reflection.   :)

I think they talk to each other and reflect how bad some fans are here. So no need for them to read my posts.

Did the rhumour spread here that EK didn't want to go to a canadian club? 

He rejected it but if it was some truth in it Benning hasn't helped. Neither the fans that talk $&!# about the best defence player in the team last year. Hughes will probably take over but Edler is still second in the team if so. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Eddie isn't a 2nd tier dman on this team, he's the #1 dman

Never said he wasn’t, just that he’s ideally suited on a second pairing.   Deep teams would...heck WNP is so deep Myers is on their third pairing and he’s much better than that (when he gets his PP chances he makes the most of it...that is when Byfuglien or Trouba are out and he moves up ).   Edler surprise surprise had one of best season in years on his contract year.   I’m not fooled ... or buying that he won’t regress quickly or won’t be injured  for long stretches.  

Why not replace him with Myers or Gardiner?  They are both way younger, are solid if not spectacular veterans .. just like Edler is when he plays ...and are capable of at least what he does on any given night.   Hutton actually did ok when he was out...most defenseman get half their points on the PP ... 

Myers managed to play all but two games the last two years, and around 35 points with very little PP time on the third  pairing.  The former Calder winner also has 4 goals and 8 points in sixteen playoff games two years ago, again on the third pairing.   Personally I’d much rather have him, he fills a big void and would bump a guy out ... and given the opportunity he could score over 50 (again first line PP time pads everyone’s stats, just as Boeser his first year or Ovechkin and Weber their entire careers).  

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

please don't lump us all in the same boat. I'm sure there are some unreasonable Timra fans. 

Irony doesn't translate very well does it?  Well played sir, well played.  

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

This all day! I’ve been saying this for months as have you Jimmy and many other people on here have. It’s not complicated or unreasonable for both sides to go this route so that Edler gets his security staying with the Canucks and that the Canucks have their loyal top 4 D-Man. If Edler camp doesn’t want the two years the UFA pending cloak status that would protect him from Seattle isn’t enough for him to stay, then I’m sorry Eddy you can have your cake and eat it somewhere else.

This is why the media is hyping things up.  It is click bait and only click bait.  

Edler wants to stay in Vancouver, check.

The Canucks want to keep Edler. Check

Edler gets a raise.  

Check.

Edler wants a NMC clause, Vancouver will give him one, but only for a 2 year deal.  Not because they don,'t want Eddy to retire here, just to avoid expansion.  

50/50 check.  

So the only hold up is from an external influence that will affect Eddie's deal here and with every other club.  Eddy isnt getting a NMC clause with expansion protection for a 4-5 year deal anywhere else either.  

Added to that, the Canucks would offer him a longer deal with some protections, just not from expansion.  

No other team will offer more.  

Added to that, Edler would have to be willing to leave Vancouver after saying forever that he doesn't want to do that.  

I highly doubt he and his agent are actually surprised by this and I doubt the Canucks were too.  These groups have done business happily with each other for a long time. 

The vaccum on time is being filled with refuge.  The same guys saying this are also the ones that talked up the Boeser negotiations too.  

Click bait... fans getting hooked again.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Irony doesn't translate very well does it?  Well played sir, well played.  

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

This all day! I’ve been saying this for months as have you Jimmy and many other people on here have. It’s not complicated or unreasonable for both sides to go this route so that Edler gets his security staying with the Canucks and that the Canucks have their loyal top 4 D-Man. If Edler camp doesn’t want the two years the UFA pending cloak status that would protect him from Seattle isn’t enough for him to stay, then I’m sorry Eddy you can have your cake and eat it somewhere else.

This is why the media is hyping things up.  It is click bait and only click bait.  

Edler wants to stay in Vancouver, check.

The Canucks want to keep Edler. Check

Edler gets a raise.  

Check.

Edler wants a NMC clause, Vancouver will give him one, but only for a 2 year deal.  Not because they don,'t want Eddy to retire here, just to avoid expansion.  

50/50 check.  

So the only hold up is from an external influence that will affect Eddie's deal here and with every other club.  Eddy isnt getting a NMC clause with expansion protection for a 4-5 year deal anywhere else either.  

Added to that, the Canucks would offer him a longer deal with some protections, just not from expansion.  

No other team will offer more.  

Added to that, Edler would have to be willing to leave Vancouver after saying forever that he doesn't want to do that.  

I highly doubt he and his agent are actually surprised by this and I doubt the Canucks were too.  These groups have done business happily with each other for a long time. 

The vaccum on time is being filled with refuse.  The same guys saying this are also the ones that talked up the Boeser negotiations too.  

Click bait... fans getting hooked again.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I think they talk to each other and reflect how bad some fans are here. So no need for them to read my posts.

Did the rhumour spread here that EK didn't want to go to a canadian club? 

He rejected it but if it was some truth in it Benning hasn't helped. Neither the fans that talk $&!# about the best defence player in the team last year. Hughes will probably take over but Edler is still second in the team if so. 

Wouldn't it be great if we could get EK!  I think a top pair of EK and Edler would be fabulous.  Then, as you say, Hughes would take over (naturally as he develops) for Edler.  

With EK and Eddy, everyone else could play their role as more support players.  Like to see OJ in our bottom pair soon too.  He could play a sheltered role. 

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Never said he wasn’t, just that he’s ideally suited on a second pairing.   Deep teams would...heck WNP is so deep Myers is on their third pairing and he’s much better than that (when he gets his PP chances he makes the most of it...that is when Byfuglien or Trouba are out and he moves up ).   Edler surprise surprise had one of best season in years on his contract year.   I’m not fooled ... or buying that he won’t regress quickly or won’t be injured  for long stretches.  

Why not replace him with Myers or Gardiner?  They are both way younger, are solid if not spectacular veterans .. just like Edler is when he plays ...and are capable of at least what he does on any given night.   Hutton actually did ok when he was out...most defenseman get half their points on the PP ... 

Myers managed to play all but two games the last two years, and around 35 points with very little PP time on the third  pairing.  The former Calder winner also has 4 goals and 8 points in sixteen playoff games two years ago, again on the third pairing.   Personally I’d much rather have him, he fills a big void and would bump a guy out ... and given the opportunity he could score over 50 (again first line PP time pads everyone’s stats, just as Boeser his first year or Ovechkin and Weber their entire careers).  

All of those guys are a downgrade in everything but age.

Edler's still a #2D (albeit likely to regress to a #3-#4 over his extension).

By all means, there's no way I'm suggesting we cave on protecting him for the ED but the talk in this thread has gone silly. As @Phat Fingers pointed out, this is all just media stirring up excrement to attempt to stay relative and keep the clicks and listeners rolling in. Edler's agent's doing his job, Benning's doing his. The rest is just noise.

Y'all are being trolled, as usual.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, due to Bennings "honest" way to answer questions fans tend to use his answer to "hate". That is not fun for family and friends... This is a big, official, public forum that children often go to. And here they learn to hate and despice their own players. Talk about force players away I've seen a few fans talk $&!# at home but not to this degree. Here it's awful. They aren't fans of the club when they treat their own players like that. 

its true, there are a lot of people vocal about wanting to move on from certain players. I can understand thats not a lot of fun, but its part of modern day pro sports. I've been a supporter of Eriksson but even for me his public comments were not proper, even if he was correct on a lot of it. It goes both ways. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its true, there are a lot of people vocal about wanting to move on from certain players. I can understand thats not a lot of fun, but its part of modern day pro sports. I've been a supporter of Eriksson but even for me his public comments were not proper, even if he was correct on a lot of it. It goes both ways. 

i think the media has blown that out of proportion. i believe he was asked, why his scoring was down with vancouver? by saying that the coach has him playing a more defensive role on the 4th line is why. he probably said, he doesn’t agree completely with the coaches decision. that could easily get written as he isn’t totally happy with the coach. of course our media writes how they took his remarks which influences the fan base. i’ld rather hear from louie on what he actually meant from that comment. speculating without knowing the truth is not healthy.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Eddie isn't a 2nd tier dman on this team, he's the #1 dman

As true as that is, thats not saying a ton since or D was one of the worst out there.

Thankfully JB is working on that, however we lost a lot of games by one goal again like the season before that and even a relatively reasonable upgrade should get us in the post without even forward upgrades but we need that badly if we want to go further than the first round and out.