The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

20 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would prefer to see Pods, Hogs, Aman, Rathbone and Karlsson, all stay down in Abby and be part of a run for the Calder Cup and gain playoff experience rather than get called up to be part of the $%^& show that is the Vancouver Canucks. They will get limited ice time and not see any playoff action with the big club so why bring them up? Evaluations of their play can be made with the Abby Canucks.

Totally agree with you. Calder is more important than the NHL right now. Rathbone is still not playing. The outlook doesn't appear good?

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I find it difficult to predict what role Podz will fill when he reaches his prime.  Right now, it seems that

the coaches want him to be a 'jack of all trades' player that can play on any line and brings offence

and defence.  I can see him being the power forward type as well, although he needs to continue

filling out his physique and strength.

On the other hand, we have seen goals and assists that show some remarkable skills in the NHL/SHL.

Although he didn't show his offence in the WJs or during the KHL seasons, the19yr old manages

to outscore every player on his team; including doubling on 24yr old Kuze points in the KHL playoffs.

His learning curve has been stacked since landing in Vancouver and will continue to stay that way, while he

learns the various aspects of so many roles.  Wherever he settles, I think he will be a complete player that

has a significant role on the team.

Podz role: think Mikheyev that is more of a passer than a shooter.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:00 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Dyu see a problem in that?

Malhotra was a top 10 pick.  Debatably the best 3rd line centre we ever had.  Albeit for a short period...

A 6'2'' 210 lb player who has the speed, and agility, to hang with Crosby. Is always a player a coach wants to deploy. Even better, he has a great attitude. Willing to kill penalties, loves to block shots, bury his head in the corner to win pucks; sacrifice his body for a win in the last 30 seconds!  He is in Abbotsford to see if we can make a 2knd or 1st line player out of him. He has the shot, some serious passing instinct.  It is within his upside to play top 6; protecting & handling the puck what he has to work on. 

I love him regardless from what I have seen! A great player to have.

Podkolzin is a very smart player, the offence will come.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Podkolzin is a very smart player, the offence will come.

I see him as a 30 to 60 point guy.  But including a fairly regular parade of 20 goal season. Maybe, maybe one or two big years?

What I really hope?  It's not that I don't hope he becomes a 70 or 80 point guy?  Is he continues to develop as the battling, hitting, fore-checking, puck winning glue guy he looks like.  Blocks shots, becomes a key penalty killer with his size and speed.  Learns to tip pucks, get rebounds, get in position as Horvat has learned.  For that matter, play a bit more center.  Take more key draws.  I see Podz as the most honest, old style hockey player we have drafted in a long while.

Yes he is very smart.  I hope people don't take for granted those attributes, right him off if he does not score 70 points. I really like Podkolzin!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nice play by Podz, I'd like to see them retain Wolanin though, having him as a threat from the back end makes for a better environment for our prospects in Abbotsford

Good depth piece, give him a few years on a one way deal and hope he clears waivers 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

Podz was working very hard against the Islanders.  Forecheck, backcheck, making great plays.  If he can bring this every night he doesn't need to go back to Abbotsford.

Yes, I have liked his game since returning. Makes safe plays, great board battle and can make nice passes. Looks more confident. All this aside I prefer Podz ends the season in Abby so he can have a Calder playoffs. It would be a huge development opportunity. I include Aman and Guiseppe as well. With 30 games left it is more important that Abby players are rotated thru Vancouver for development and evaluation. 

I am not sure when AHL players have to be papered for post season play? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I know what I was seeing from Podkolzin when he first went down to Abbotsford was disinterest in engaging and looking generally peeved.

It was getting much better the last handful of games down there and he got the call-up. I didn't know it was the Sedin wisdom that apparently 

turned the corner for him. Bravo !!!

Yes and him unlearning what he had learned from Miller with the big club.

• 3 weeks later...