The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Podz will be in our top 6 and will play on the PP, Pk and will be on the ice defending leads in the last minute . He’s way more of a rounded player than I thought. Tough to pin point who he reminds me of. But the closest I can get to is a more skilled Linden with the tenacity of Peter Forsberg but playing the wing position. 

10 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Podz will be in our top 6 and will play on the PP, Pk and will be on the ice defending leads in the last minute . He’s way more of a rounded player than I thought. Tough to pin point who he reminds me of. But the closest I can get to is a more skilled Linden with the tenacity of Peter Forsberg but playing the wing position. 

I figure a winger version of Pavaski (skill, grit and leadership).  

• Cheers 1

Wonder if seeing a rising young Russian star soon to join, also gives NT a nudge for urgency? They should help each other get rolling in a new environment.

JB stated an emphasis on character in prospects. Yrs back(mostly that OTHER site) saw him get heckled for this. It's soooo nice now of all these young stars, you get the sense they'll all fit/gel cohesively. There don't seem to be any types with undermining egos & bad attitudes.

Importantly, when they all age into bigger contracts, I bet they'll be able to financially fit more stars than many other rivals can manage.

5 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Not to get things too off-topic here....but I’m incredibly interested to see what an extremely well conditioned Virtanen looks like on the ice. This very well could be Tyler Myers greatest impact on his time with the Canucks. :)

And I really wish we could keep Podkolzin in North America right now. I can’t help feeling that his development is stagnating in Russia to a significant degree.

As much as I want him here I find it odd when people complain about his development being stifled.

The kid is 19 plays a pro-game and has played every game but one with the best team in the KHL. 

How can people say the kid is being developed wrong but at the same time comment on how good his game is?

Not being gifted minutes isn't a bad thing and honestly I would never want him in Utica over Russia.

When I see the growth Podz has had since being drafted makes me thankful he stayed in Russia. NA culture sometimes expects things without merit. I like the fact Russian culture in sport emphasizes team over player and their prospects have to earn it instead of it being expected. 

Looking at Podz and his work ethic and leadership abilities, it seems to have been the right choice.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

Podz is going to be a gem and will be a bigtime player for us.

So glad he fell into our lap.

Hoglander               Pettersson               Boeser

Miller                       Horvat                     Podkolzin

That's going to be a lethal top-six and may become the best in the league in the near future.

I like that top 6. Wonder if we could make a trade of Boeser to Detroit for Lucas Raymond 

Hoglander Pettersson Raymond 

Miller Horvat Podkolzin 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think so too. He is definitely strong enough. His vision and passing ability are NHL calibre. I was surprised at the level of his attention to detail. I didn't think he would be a top 6 guy right away, but he's making me rethink that.

If we make the Playoffs and he comes in at the end of the season, he will add a much needed element at just the right time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I don't see the need. 

Boeser's a highly effective forward.

He needs a full, healthy season under his belt.

Brock is pretty much what Raymond might end up being.

Plus if you watched his interview against Russia he comes off as a whiner.

I hate when a kid at 18 already bitches about officiating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Can’t wait till the kid signs his first pro contract. He oozes tons of potential. His play this WJC shows just that. Plays a 200’ game and works like a horse, forechecks and backchecks really well, never out of a play, and his board play is fantastic as well. He’s going to do some great things in the NHL.

The great thing about 200 foot players is that coaches never fear to play them. He will get ample chances to play because playing him never hurts the team.

• Cheers 2

This upcoming game against Canada will likely be a CDC defining moment (not that I necessarily agree, but will have most eyes on). If Russia beats Canada, he's going to get hyped up through the roof being the captain of the team that does so. If they lose, then you know the usuals (most that probably won't even watch the game itself), will bring it up that he isn't up for the challenge pinning the loss solely on him.

I hope most keep a level head no matter what happens and realize that he has had a good tournament and has demonstrated his two way ability plus leadership. He's only 19 years old, so he's going to still have some development to go through, but he has shown a glimpse of what he can provide for us in the future.

11 hours ago, Qwags said:

This tournament has renewed my confidence in Pod. 

I'm astounded at how many times his teammates have whiffed on setups. Pod could easily have 3-5 more points if they could finish.

One thing people would never accuse him of is being a finesse player. He does have skill and playmaking, but everything is achieved through hard work and effort. He wills a lot of those passes where they go, so they're coming hard rather than a soft saucer pass. Not saying it's an issue, and higher skilled players are more able to convert, but he may be able to develop that side a bit more.

13 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I think so too. He is definitely strong enough. His vision and passing ability are NHL calibre. I was surprised at the level of his attention to detail. I didn't think he would be a top 6 guy right away, but he's making me rethink that.

If we make the Playoffs and he comes in at the end of the season, he will add a much needed element at just the right time.

maybe he can miss his plane and just stay. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Interesting that per the IIHF agreement with Canada, defeated teams (Germany. Sweden, etc) have to stay until the tournament's end before returning home.

(And just 10 days till start of season!!!!!!!)

Edited by Googlie