The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He’s been playing wing for us quite well.. the flexibility is a major asset.

Gaudette has always played C.  Benning says he doesn't want to move him to wing explaining that he has never played wing.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Lol, keep telling yourself that. 

If we traded Horvat for anything less than a 1st you would lose your mind. 

TJ Miller is able to drive to the net, is a workhorse and consistently put up 50 points and has a good cap hit. This is a good deal. The fact a moron like Sekeres hates this deal proves it is a good one. 

If we needed to get rid of Horvat because of cap space, we probably wouldn't get a first round pick from a $&!#ty team. And Horvat is a better (and younger) player than Miller. 

1 minute ago, mpt said:

Nope, still a 1st

If we make the playoffs, we give up our first for that year (2020). If we miss, we draft higher obviously and keep that pick but give up the 2021 1st . Which makes complete sense. 

If needed, it gives us time to recover any picks to satisfy the souls of all the armchair GM’s that are crying over the fact that we just picked up a good young 50 point player that plays Centre or Wing. 

We have our franchise players in Petey and Brock. 

Its not a video game, so you can get at me and tell me it’s “just a first” or you can understand the situation or the condition. 

I'm fine with this trade, I imagine he'll thrive here not being buried under Tampa's depth. 

I'd rather give that up than what Philly gave up for Hayes. Locked in at 5.25x4 is pretty reasonable.

There's no guarantee Barrie was available to us or that the cost wasn't higher than we were willing to pay. 

• Upvote 1

Giving up a 1st rounder in either of the next two years at this stage of our rebuild is pretty unforgivable in my eyes. Both drafts are regarded as pretty deep and loaded with talent (2020 especially) and we would have a chance to add a real impact player even if we were picking in the teens. Miller is a solid player, but I don't think he moves the needle much. At the end of the day I think we got fleeced when you consider that Tampa needed to get rid of cap space and still squeezed that much out of us for a middle 6 player. 

This deals screams to me that it's Playoffs or the boot for Benning next year, which doesn't make much sense given the Podkolzin pick and his timeline. 

• Upvote 1

The problem isn't that JT Miller isn't a good fit or a good pickup. The problem is that TB is in cap crunch hell to keep all their UFA's and had to trade JT Miller even all they could get bavk was a bag of pucks and we paid full market value for him. 

JB should have had him without giving up a first. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, MikeyD said:

If we needed to get rid of Horvat because of cap space, we probably wouldn't get a first round pick from a $&!#ty team. And Horvat is a better (and younger) player than Miller. 

Ok that’s crazy, Horvat is clearly worth a 1st +

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Nah, JB is hilarious.

“Hey, I want your 2nd line player and even though we’ve been the worst team in hockey record wise for the past 4 years and even though I know your team is in cap trouble, I’ll offer up our potential lottery pick for him anyways”.

CONDITIONAL

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Fans want a lottery pick every year, but also become a contender at the same time...

Some fans seem like they're happy being in perpetual suckage.

I give credit to Benning. This is a statement that they're going all in for playoffs now. I would expect we'll be very active come July 1st.

Should be all in on guys like Panarin and Gardiner no question. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lol, keep telling yourself that. 

If we traded Horvat for anything less than a 1st you would lose your mind. 

TJ Miller is able to drive to the net, is a workhorse and consistently put up 50 points and has a good cap hit. This is a good deal. The fact a moron like Sekeres hates this deal proves it is a good one. 

His 3 goals in 61 play off games will help us too.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, LarsEller said:

The problem isn't that JT Miller isn't a good fit or a good pickup. The problem is that TB is in cap crunch hell to keep all their UFA's and had to trade JT Miller even all they could get bavk was a bag of pucks and we paid full market value for him. 

That's the thing, the market clearly set the price at above a bag of pucks. Just because a team needs cap space doesn't mean all their players are cap dumps. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Fans want a lottery pick every year, but also become a contender at the same time...

Some fans seem like they're happy being in perpetual suckage.

I give credit to Benning. This is a statement that they're going all in for playoffs now. I would expect we'll be very active come July 1st.

Watch us sign Myers 7x7 and the ass-lickers will think that’s the piece that puts us over the top.

Oh god :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, LarsEller said:

They arent in a cap crunch after they just buried Callahan.  Not sure why people keep pumping this narrative.

I dont like giving up the 1st though.  That's way too much.  Its actually extremely disappointing.