The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Miller played 14 minutes a night, had 47 points (a supposed decline in points), was a "cap dump" with 4 years on his contract left. Fetched a 1st, 3rd, and the biggest part of the return Mazanec. Reaction was that we got ripped off.

Kapanen played 15 minutes a night (including 1.5 minutes on the PK), was on pace for 43 points, was a "cap dump" with 2 years left on his contract. Fetched a 1st, former 2nd round pick Hallander plus a bunch of spare parts going both ways. Reaction is that Dubas won the trade.

Curious to see how it plays out. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Miller played 14 minutes a night, had 47 points (a supposed decline in points), was a "cap dump" with 4 years on his contract left. Fetched a 1st, 3rd, and the biggest part of the return Mazanec. Reaction was that we got ripped off.

Kapanen played 15 minutes a night (including 1.5 minutes on the PK), was on pace for 43 points, was a "cap dump" with 2 years left on his contract. Fetched a 1st, former 2nd round pick Hallander plus a bunch of spare parts going both ways. Reaction is that Dubas won the trade.

Curious to see how it plays out. 

Post of the day my friend. Leafs can do no wrong it seems.

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Add to the fact that Jim Benning isn't the greatest negotiator. Geez, you call a team WITH CAP PROBLEMS, and offer right away a first round pick? You couldn't wiggle a better deal, like maybe offering a 2nd or a 3rd in the beginning. Its like posting something on craigslist to sell, and you put a "hope and prayer" price and Benning calls, doesn't even ask "hey want to knock off 20$" just offers you the price that you want. Thats my problem with the trade, if it was another team with no cap issues like a Carolina Hurricanes, if JT went for a 1st, then thats the cost of doing business. TB had to unload a big time contract and Jim didn't bother trying to wittle the price down

Mid to late first round picks are overhyped on this board. 

8 hours ago, crobar said:

How many times are people going to GUESS that Benning gave Tampa all they wanted. Complete conjecture and conspiracy theories from the Benning bashers I suppose. I liked the trade when first made and more so now.

Because during the draft on live TV that is exactly what was reported.  I can't remember who it was that said it but something along the lines of Tampa was looking for a first round pick + and Vancouver was the only team willing to pay. Then they discussed how Benning could have negotiated a better deal but that could have led to another team swooping in and stealing JT from them. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Mid to late first round picks are overhyped on this board. 

No one was complaining about a mid to late pick. This could have been a lottery pick. It probably had a higher chance of being a lottery pick than not. JT Miller was far better than anyone would have known regardless what people try to say now and this team was bottom of the NHL for years. They definitely over-achieved what was expected by a large margin. 

If JT miller put up 40-50 points and we gave up a top 10 pick for him next year... this trade would be seen far differently. Best case scenario ended up happening. People here have you believe that that was the most likely scenario all along. This was a hockey trade that few were sure if it was the right time for the canucks to make. 

Edited by peaches5

On 8/22/2020 at 2:21 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

one of his best trades a long side the Vanek for Motte trade.  Pearson for Guddbranson another good trade.

Leivo for free was another great deal.  Not sure a healthy Leivo has a spot on the roster now though.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah he would. One of the best board battle guys on the team. He'd be in.

I won’t be surprised at all to see Leivo re-signed.  A cheap contract who can play up and down the lineup and on special teams.  He is kind of like Hansen in his utility.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I won’t be surprised at all to see Leivo re-signed.  A cheap contract who can play up and down the lineup and on special teams.  He is kind of like Hansen in his utility.

Yup, especially if we (as I'm predicting) move Virtanen and assuming Ferland is a no go.

Between his injuries and covid, I doubt he gets much over $1m either. Cheap, short term depth.

• Upvote 1

I think the Motte trade thread has been locked / is no longer active - can't be bumped?  - but maybe every bit as entertaining a read.

Also - as @Gollumpus pointed out in the Kapanen trade thread....

Does the fact that Toronto needed to move cap make Kapanen a "cap dump"?  

Hell no - it does not.  Marleau - was a cap dump - cost a 1st to move the gap between performance and cap hit.

Kapanen - like Miller - returned a 1st round pick.

I like Kapanen - but I'd take our return over Pittsburgh's - and the 1st the Canucks dealt - won't be nearly as high as that 15th overall.

I'm also not sure I would have dealt Kapanen when, imo, they still have to / should dip into those top 4, $40 million worth of forwards.

Is there simply zero market for Nylander?

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Would you rather have Kapanen for 15th overall or Miller for 20+ overall?  I think that is an easy decision.

I remember the crazy reaction partially stemmed from the idea that we would miss the playoffs 2 years in a row and lose a lottery winning pick and thus why it's such a bad trade because there was that ounce of potential we would lose a top 3 pick. Of course this was probably the same group that was on team tank to start this season.

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Until recently, probably Eriksson. Now? Likely one of Gaudette/Virtanen.

For Leivo? Hell no. Ive never been a fan of Leivo's, Id probably even have an invisible Virtanen over him. He hasn't hit the scoreboard yet but Gaudette has played terrific in Game 2. He just shows a high battle level and adds some speed on his line. I think somewhere in this series he'll pot one in. Is it coincidence that Rousells game stepped up when Gaudz came into the lineup?

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

For Leivo? Hell no. Ive never been a fan of Leivo's, Id probably even have an invisible Virtanen over him. He hasn't hit the scoreboard yet but Gaudette has played terrific in Game 2. He just shows a high battle level and adds some speed on his line. I think somewhere in this series he'll pot one in. Is it coincidence that Rousells game stepped up when Gaudz came into the lineup?

That's your opinion. A lot of people had similar opinions about the likes of Motte, Beagle, Roussel and Sutter until recently as well.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...