The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

13 hours ago, coryberg said:

Only way this beats the Naslund trade is if the pick doesn't make the NHL.

Nope - the Naslund trade has to top them all and will do even if the pick is a bust.  Naslund's number is in the rafters.  Respect like that is earned over many years.  Loving the Miller trade right now though.

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah I think people forget the Naslund trade. The guy we traded for Naslund finished out the season then quit hockey to become a firefighter. Naslund was a 12 year Canuck and had some very good years.

I know I’ll be flamed for it but Linden was low key one of the best trades the Canucks ever made. I get that the way it was done I didn’t like and Messier. Linden found his way back home years later. Vancouver got Bertuzzi, McCabe and a 3rd rounder (Ruutu). From those guys Vancouver flipped McCabe for 3rd overall (which was Henrik Sedin) and Bertuzzi was traded for Luongo and then Luongo was traded for Markstrom.

Linden

Bertuzzi, McCabe, Ruutu

Luongo, Henrik

Markstrom

Markstrom is the last remaining asset that started with drafting of Linden in 1988. This is pretty cool.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

No question Naslund was the best trade of all time.

Even considering just Benning's trades, I might have the Pearson trade ahead. Miller is a better player obviously, but we did pay a considerable price to get him. A mid 1st rounder isn't nothing.

The Pearson trade was not only getting a piece we desperately needed, but we also offloaded a problematic player/contract that was thought to be an anchor. That was A+ in every regard.

Agree.

Naslund trade beats all. Canucks franchise saviour whose number is hanging in the rafters. 

Regarding Pearson trade, it was like trading 20 year old junk of a car for a Corolla that can get you to places.

JT Miller trade is like actually paying close to fair value for a new Porsche. 

Sure, the first trade is the better deal but Porsche is Porsche.

Edit: sorry for the weird car analogy. I'm trying to move on from baseball analogies that I'm really horrible with.

Edited by khay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree.

Naslund trade beats all. Canucks franchise saviour whose number is hanging in the rafters. 

Regarding Pearson trade, it was like trading 20 year old junk of a car for a Corolla that can get you to places.

Edit: sorry for the weird car analogy. I'm trying to move on from baseball analogies that I'm really horrible with.

Haha I like it actually. I have Pearson pegged as something better than a Corolla but I agree with the sentiment completely.

Pearson to me is like Benning's Ehrhoff trade. It was just a grand slam of a trade & the type of move we needed, pulling a top 6 forward out of nothing.

I totally understand putting the Miller trade ahead though. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Haha I like it actually. I have Pearson pegged as something better than a Corolla but I agree with the sentiment completely.

Pearson to me is like Benning's Ehrhoff trade. It was just a grand slam of a trade & the type of move we needed, pulling a top 6 forward out of nothing.

I totally understand putting the Miller trade ahead though. 

35 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree.

The Miller trade is akin to giving up lottery tickets for an unspecified model of Porsche. You thought it might be a run of the mill 911 Carrera S but it turned out to be a GT3 RS with good mileage, low maintenance and everything you need for day to day driving as well as on track racing. According to the owner's manual an expensive maintenance is not coming up until 2024. 

The Pearson trade is akin to trading a recent model big pickup truck with lots of horsepower. The truck looked great until you hitched a trailer on it and you realized you should have bought a Ford F150. The steering was awful, the acceleration was average at best and the torque was seriously lacking despite ample horsepower. The other party was looking for a big pickup truck to complement his fleet of sports cars so he agreed to give you his BMW M3 since he just did not have the time to drive it. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 8/8/2020 at 4:50 PM, Me_ said:

I wouldn’t want to take anything away from anyone who was involved in big trades including the Naslund, the Luongo and the Sedin draft trade.

But when all is said and done, this may be the best Canucks trade ever. 

Negative.

Naslund trade

Linden trade

Craig Janey trade

Jeff Courtnall trade 

Ehrhoff trade

Brodeur trade 

McLean trade

Sedin magic

There have been a few

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Negative.

Naslund trade

Linden trade

Craig Janey trade

Jeff Courtnall trade 

Ehrhoff trade

Brodeur trade 

McLean trade

Sedin magic

There have been a few

So we had to trade for McLean, Brodeur, Luongo and Markstrom (and Cloutier), we must be terrible at drafting goaltenders. Better sell Demko to the highest bidder ASAP!

Just wanted to point out that the Ehrhoff trade was essentially a 2nd round pick for a cap dump. Similar to this Miller trade.

Kirk McLean was traded for Sundstrom who at the time was a PPG guy for us and had a few more good seasons with NJD.

I believe the Janney/Courtnall/others trade fiasco was all one thing really. Did work out well though.

I agree that the Miller trade may not be one of the best ever, but it's certainly up there. It's one of those deals that expedites the development of the team.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

So we had to trade for McLean, Brodeur, Luongo and Markstrom (and Cloutier), we must be terrible at drafting goaltenders. Better sell Demko to the highest bidder ASAP!

Just wanted to point out that the Ehrhoff trade was essentially a 2nd round pick for a cap dump. Similar to this Miller trade.

Kirk McLean was traded for Sundstrom who at the time was a PPG guy for us and had a few more good seasons with NJD.

I believe the Janney/Courtnall/others trade fiasco was all one thing really. Did work out well though.

I agree that the Miller trade may not be one of the best ever, but it's certainly up there. It's one of those deals that expedites the development of the team.

I think the Ehrhoff deal was better than the Miller deal. Still needs more time to fully analyze.

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Leafs gave up the 13th overall pick in this draft to dump Marleau.

A higher pick than this conditional 1st for Miller.

#proper-rebuild.

Wow really setting the bar high comparing us to the leafs.

#proper -rebuild... lol good one I needed a good laugh.

miller trade was a great move and it worked out good for us hes been a great fit. 
However. 

#13millbottomsix 
#caphell. 

#removehomergoggles 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

you are confusing 2 different trades 

trade #1 Mar 1991, Butcher and Dan Quinn for Courtnall, Ronning, Momesso and Dirk 

trade #2 March 14, 1994, Nedved for Janney and a 2nd

trade #2b Mar 21 1994, Janney for Brown, Hedican and Laffyette

trade #2  and #2b was the fiasco deal

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

miller trade was a great move and it worked out good for us hes been a great fit. 
However. 

#13millbottomsix 
#caphell. 

#removehomergoggles 

We were not a contending team. In order to get those guys to sign we had to overpay and you can argue they made us a playoff team and we really got a playoff series win because of their experience. We're not in caphell at all? The only issue we have is Eriksson and really if Pettersson and Hughes don't command 10-12m we have little to worry about. If Markstrom chooses not to re-sign for our $$$ amount then we have absolutely no cap issues. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, peaches5 said:

We were not a contending team. In order to get those guys to sign we had to overpay and you can argue they made us a playoff team and we really got a playoff series win because of their experience. We're not in caphell at all? The only issue we have is Eriksson and really if Pettersson and Hughes don't command 10-12m we have little to worry about. If Markstrom chooses not to re-sign for our $$$ amount then we have absolutely no cap issues. 

At this point this guy just really dislikes Benning and it doesn't matter what you say. As has been stated forever we are not in cap hell. We can and will sign all our kids. Losing Toffoli and even Markstrom will not derail this team. Lol. Our cap situation is very much solid. Our bottom 6 is overpaid, but Roussel and Beagle will expire in 2 seasons, Sutter expires next season. We have 3.3mil coming off the books next summer in Baer and Spooner, with Sutter's 4.4 and Pearson's 3.7, if need be, we'll more than be able to re-sign Huges and Petey. Especially if we elect to run Demko next season in the event Marky's ask goes above 6mil per.

The only contracts that make me uneasy are Ferland and Eriksson's. We can survive em though in all honesty. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2019 at 11:09 AM, BlastPast said:

Why are people acting like the worst case scenario is a foregone conclusion? If this ends up as a 15-20th pick that's fair.  That's not a ton more than some teams will give up for a rental they get 20-30 games out of. Miller is no cap dump, I'm sure there were a number of teams in on him.

Great thread to look back and see who the idiots are...and who the non-idiots are. ^^^  Did anyone learn a lesson about not overreacting ? Anyone realize they might not know wtf they are talking about and should maybe just refrain from having strong opinions until a situation has fully developed ? Didn't think so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Great thread to look back and see who the idiots are...and who the non-idiots are. ^^^  Did anyone learn a lesson about not overreacting ? Anyone realize they might not know wtf they are talking about and should maybe just refrain from having strong opinions until a situation has fully developed ? Didn't think so. 

React first, hide later. Exactly what trolls do.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

However. 

#13millbottomsix 
#caphell. 

#removehomergoggles 

That $13 million bottom 6 will be all but gone within the next while the Leaf are stuck with their for at least 4+ years while we will have players on ELC over that time; they have very few worth mentioning

It's not that bad

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just read the first 10 pages of this thread. Haha...good for a laugh.  Some awful awful takes on the trade.

Do people not learn you should not be soooooo tied down to a hardcore opinion minutes after a blockbuster NHL trade is made?

Edit: one poster on page 1 did not want to trade more than a 5th?  haha...good god!

Edited by CanuckCup2022
  • Haha 2