The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

One can wish anyways.    COL is also a nice target depending on how things go for them this off-season/post season.  Kadri is going to also get a good deal somewhere.    Wouldn't that be funny if we traded Miller to COL at the draft - poached something worthy - traded Brock as well, then signed Kadri lol.    I do think if offers come in that seem equal that Miller goes to the East though.    Boston is another team that would want him.   Re-tool is coming for them.   Bergeron isn't sure he's going to keep playing after next season.   PIT maybe too.    Not sure they re-sign often injured Malkin.    Think unless they have a hay maker of a post season they are going to start their rebuild... but who knows maybe they are ok with playing it out one more time and re-tooling with Miller.     

In the end this is what i really see happening.   Miller and Horvat both have to sign for us to have a chance at a run of 4-6 playoffs.   Brock is the low hanging fruit - but also think he will be back.   I think all the regular faces will be back.   And they make the tough decisions a year from now or during the season possibly.    A little core ascension...  That's all this team needs and it's reasonable to expect that... these guys are going to be better next season.  

Team is close...just needs a lopsided trade.   Maybe we use a pick from a trade for that or a trade for that or both.   

The news coming from the “insiders” (Saravelli on 650 Monday) is suggesting the club is heading in the direction you’re suggesting.  We will tinker around the edges this summer, but come back in the fall with the same core and top minute guys and Bruce will be coach.  IMHAO that’s not the right move, but it’s a compromise between our owner wanting to re-sign Miller and JR knowing that’s not best for the team’s future.  So we load up for next season, and Miller and Bo both play out their contracts and become UFAs July 2023.  

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The news coming from the “insiders” (Saravelli on 650 Monday) is suggesting the club is heading in the direction you’re suggesting.  We will tinker around the edges this summer, but come back in the fall with the same core and top minute guys and Bruce will be coach.  IMHAO that’s not the right move, but it’s a compromise between our owner wanting to re-sign Miller and JR knowing that’s not best for the team’s future.  So we load up for next season, and Miller and Bo both play out their contracts and become UFAs July 2023.  

I really don't see there's much choice, its either this ^ or a full blow up. 

Benning did some good drafting, but his pro scouting and cap decisions were often crap, and we were also saddled with horrible coaching. 

Now we have an actual good NHL coaching staff, first time since the day before Linden was hired. If Rutherford can make some savvy moves for better support pieces this should be a fun team to watch for the next 4-5 years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I really don't see there's much choice, its either this ^ or a full blow up. 

Benning did some good drafting, but his pro scouting and cap decisions were often crap, and we were also saddled with horrible coaching. 

Now we have an actual good NHL coaching staff, first time since the day before Linden was hired. If Rutherford can make some savvy moves for better support pieces this should be a fun team to watch for the next 4-5 years. 

We have the same mind.   I don't see another choice either.   And folks - IF we have a good season next year, why wouldn't both Horvat and Miller want to stay?   And if they don't - blow it up.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

We have the same mind.   I don't see another choice either.   And folks - IF we have a good season next year, why wouldn't both Horvat and Miller want to stay? 

I'm just trying to be more realistic about it. We have who we have, they are under Bruce and with some smart additions, around 10-11ish in the league. I'm fine with that if we're built for the playoffs more than the regular season like LA was. 

Also, what is considered elite? Calgary is 7th in the league right now, and we're not far off from being just as good with the right support players in place. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm just trying to be more realistic about it. We have who we have, they are under Bruce and with some smart additions, around 10-11ish in the league. I'm fine with that if we're built for the playoffs more than the regular season like LA was. 

Also, what is considered elite? Calgary is 7th in the league right now, and we're not far off from being just as good with the right support players in place. 

CAL for sure is considered a contender right now.   Curiously enough - that's where our team was after a year of re-tooling in 2014.   A little context.   For the first time ever (loser points for sure help this) - ALL 8 of the Eastern teams have over 100 points.  To me that says a few things.  One - they've got patsies to beat on.   All the teams the Canucks played this year weren't exactly dynamite we're they from the East.   Close games.   Should have beat TB too.  Kind of owned TO lol.  Not that we meet that often either.   East is weak on the lower end.   West is much more even.   They are going to beat the tar out of each other.     To me the entire East reminds of when Vancouver was on top of our division.  Aside from SJ it was meh to bad.   

Edit:  It's still impresses me a little with the East.   Like all the teams got 90 plus points under the old system.  Which used to be a good season. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh man. I had never looked through this thread before. Made my morning.

"It better not be our 2nd round pick!"

"He isn't worth more than a 5th!"

"That cap hit is terrible and will cripple this team!"

Puts all the expertise here into perspective doesn't it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, VforVasili said:

Oh man. I had never looked through this thread before. Made my morning.

"It better not be our 2nd round pick!"

"He isn't worth more than a 5th!"

"That cap hit is terrible and will cripple this team!"

Puts all the expertise here into perspective doesn't it?

Still of all the significant deals Benning every did this was the only one he got right :lol:

The funny part on this though is that the deal actually worked out since the Canucks made the playoffs. So on the asset management side this worked out well, Benning just had to negate that when he gave next year's first as well.