The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Truly is funny reading through the early posts in this thread.

I barely knew who JT was, and giving up that conditional 1st was a surprise… but all it took was a few video clips to convince me.

Crazy to think he’s now signed on to be a Nucks lifer and is putting up Naslund-level numbers.

• Cheers 4

11 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

From what I can tell the 1st was used by NJ to draft Shakir Mukhamadullin.  So Mazanec (playing in the Czech Republic), Shakir (decent d prospect) and a 3rd.  Pretty good for a top 10 NHL scorer.

The 3rd ended up being a goalie drafted by Tampa (Alnefelt) I believe.

Could very well end up being a whole lot of nothing.

35 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Obviously, I'm relatively new so I've never looked at it. Until now, never new it existed. So here's my; falling-pennies.gif One of the greatest trades in Canuck's 

history. Maybe not the very greatest one but way up there. Nobody  probably thought he would take off like he has. 

Relatively new and yet almost triple my post count, and I have been here forever and a day. Haha. Very prolific! 

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

From what I can tell the 1st was used by NJ to draft Shakir Mukhamadullin.  So Mazanec (playing in the Czech Republic), Shakir (decent d prospect) and a 3rd.  Pretty good for a top 10 NHL scorer.

A deal you make every single day and twice on Sunday. 
For all the stick Benning gets, this was a home run. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso, Dirk and a pick for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher ranks right up there for me.

The Craig Janney trade back to STL for Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican, Nathan Lafayette wasn’t a bad deal either. 

Even better with the Janney trade is they gave up that package to get him back only to trade him less than a year later and he only had 3 more ok seasons after that as well. We really dodged a bullet there. 

On 6/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, EP Phone Home said:

I guess the rebuild is over if we are giving up firsts now. Playoffs or bust it seems

Happy to look back on my post to see that it wasn’t unreasonable or irrational. It was and remains on point of the mandate of the team. Hopefully the beginning of being a perennial playoff team that elevates into a cup contender once the bad contracts are out of the way.

I had the crow on the stove ready for lunch too! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Have said more than once: Historically, drafting has burned our @$$. Whereas, trades have often come out in our favour. The Bo/Schneids swap another prime example.

Love or hate JB..he certainly didn't leave the barren shelves of 2014, thru draft and trade.

True. He also didn’t have much on ice success so relatively speaking what he left was probably a lot less than he should have based on that futility.

Trading high picks was his worst feature next to feast or famine drafting when he did keep them. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Even better with the Janney trade is they gave up that package to get him back only to trade him less than a year later and he only had 3 more ok seasons after that as well. We really dodged a bullet there. 

Iirc, all in the Janney situation basically amounted to the Canucks trading Petr Nedved for Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican, Nathan Lafayette, and a 2nd Round Pick. 

Not bad.

Didnt St Louis then trade Janney for Jeff Norton?

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Iirc, all in the Janney situation basically amounted to the Canucks trading Petr Nedved for Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican, Nathan Lafayette, and a 2nd Round Pick. 

Not bad.

Didnt St Louis then trade Janney for Jeff Norton?

I believe it was Norton for the return