The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wonder what the summer holds for someone like Nils Hoglander.

I sorta had the thought at the beginning of the 2020-2021 season, he probably could've used a year in the AHL with Utica to iron out the kinks in his defensive game and overall decision making. Yet he made a great rookie season.

He seemed sorta lost out there this season. Hoping he comes back stronger and more engaged in the defensive zone. However, does management see him as a long term piece moving forward?

I still have high expectations for Hogs. He has a high skill level and a high compete level. His ability to battle on the boards will keep him in the NHL. I agree that his d-side game needs work but with coaching it should happen. As is typical with young talent to the Vancouver org which show promise they are thrown into it to quickly. Hogz comes in last year with a conditioning jump on the rest of the league and shone as a result. That wasn't his fault it was an org that threw him into a top 6 role and put unrealistic expectations on his performance. He has to reset and I give Boudreau full credit for starting that process. I don't see AHL time now but more a 3rd line role into next fall. 

I am hoping that Hogz is the last example of what I described above. Thru last season we often heard the call for Klim to be brought up from Abby. Absolutely the wrong idea and process. I am hoping Klim gains from this year and starts to produce for Abby next year. I only wish that this management had been in place when we still had Gadj and Lind. They were 2 second rounders basically wasted by the org. Throw Mac into that statement as well. 

I am also hoping the org reviews what is happening in Abby as well. Specifically Woo. I admit that I have not seen him play. That said a young RD who is moved up to wing? RD is a desperate need for the org. At 21 there are already comments about him being a wash. I have a hard time believing that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I still have high expectations for Hogs. He has a high skill level and a high compete level. His ability to battle on the boards will keep him in the NHL. I agree that his d-side game needs work but with coaching it should happen. As is typical with young talent to the Vancouver org which show promise they are thrown into it to quickly. Hogz comes in last year with a conditioning jump on the rest of the league and shone as a result. That wasn't his fault it was an org that threw him into a top 6 role and put unrealistic expectations on his performance. He has to reset and I give Boudreau full credit for starting that process. I don't see AHL time now but more a 3rd line role into next fall. 

I am hoping that Hogz is the last example of what I described above. Thru last season we often heard the call for Klim to be brought up from Abby. Absolutely the wrong idea and process. I am hoping Klim gains from this year and starts to produce for Abby next year. I only wish that this management had been in place when we still had Gadj and Lind. They were 2 second rounders basically wasted by the org. Throw Mac into that statement as well. 

I am also hoping the org reviews what is happening in Abby as well. Specifically Woo. I admit that I have not seen him play. That said a young RD who is moved up to wing? RD is a desperate need for the org. At 21 there are already comments about him being a wash. I have a hard time believing that.

Hoglander's edges are close to Garland, and he's a few years younger at that. Yes, his defensive awareness needs improving, but he'll get it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with all of this. I was high on Hogs when we drafted him, and although his development this season may not have gone as many expected/hoped, I still think due the reasons you outlined that he will be an NHL regular for his whole career, and I personally think there is enough there to believe he will a top 6.

This guys motor always runs hot.  Busts his ass.  He may not work out as a top 6 sniper. He also may?

Hoglander is a bonafide NHL player regardless. Get him to watch film of Burrows and Hansen gettin after it...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 5:02 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Can they start the season with Hoglander in Abbotsford?

If so, I wonder if they do, so he can develop and learn the game properly.

From what I can tell on Cap Friendly, he's still waiver-exempt next year. I'm not against him playing in Abbotsford, but I'm eager to see how he performs in training camp before writing him off.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:02 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Can they start the season with Hoglander in Abbotsford?

If so, I wonder if they do, so he can develop and learn the game properly.

Hogs might be starting next season on another NHL team.  He’s potential sugar to dumperoo a guy like Myers. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hogs might be starting next season on another NHL team.  He’s potential sugar to dumperoo a guy like Myers. 

He may not fit Boudreau's system. He was one of the only guys, maybe the only? that didn't get better under BB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

He may not fit Boudreau's system. He was one of the only guys, maybe the only? that didn't get better under BB.

Yup.  BB didn’t care much for Hogs’ game.  JR wants to clear cap, so using Hogs as “Sweet n Low” could be part of his plan.

Is Hogs enough sugar to do the full dumperoo for Myers?  

Myers + Hogs for a 7th?  Clear all of Myers’ cap.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  BB didn’t care much for Hogs’ game.  JR wants to clear cap, so using Hogs as “Sweet n Low” could be part of his plan.

I don't think Myers is really on that overpriced a deal, if it was 5.5 I don't think it would be an issue. But sure if it greases the wheels on a move then sure. I think we could get a lot more than a 7th, I think for those two we could be looking at a 2nd and prospect. 

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think Myers is really on that overpriced a deal, if it was 5.5 I don't think it would be an issue. But sure if it greases the wheels on a move then sure. I think we could get a lot more than a 7th, I think for those two we could be looking at a 2nd and prospect. 

If Miller goes for Marino and Kapanen, the Myers (with Hogs as sweetener) could go for a higher round pick.  JR wants to keep us getting better.  No step back.  If Myers + Hogs gets us a second, the JR can add that to Garland for a guy like Crouse.

Out: Miller, Myers, Garland, Hogs

In: Marino, Kapanen, Crouse.

Hogs is the key to make it happen! :lol:

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Miller goes for Marino and Kapanen, the Myers (with Hogs as sweetener) could go for a higher round pick.  JR wants to keep us getting better.  No step back.  If Myers + Hogs gets us a second, the JR can add that to Garland for a guy like Crouse.

Out: Miller, Myers, Garland, Hogs

In: Marino, Kapanen, Crouse.

Hogs is the key to make it happen! :lol:

thats a group I'd really like to see come in.

I don't really have big expectations for JR this offseason tho. 

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

Combination sophomore slump and that, IMO, he probably would have benefited spending time in the AHL refining his 2 way and systems play.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Combination sophomore slump and that, IMO, he probably would have benefited spending time in the AHL refining his 2 way and systems play.

our new management needs to make the decision to continue with Hogs, or to move him while he still has value.  I think JR has already made the choice.  Hogs is gone as sweetener to get rid of a bad contract, hopefully Myers.  

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

our new management needs to make the decision to continue with Hogs, or to move him while he still has value.  I think JR has already made the choice.  Hogs is gone as sweetener to get rid of a bad contract, hopefully Myers.  

I think his value is lower right now than it will be in the next year or two.  He's a guy that is very likely to bounce back based on his raw tools and what he has shown in the past.  Not that I'm against using him as a sweetener to shed some cap.  I just don't think there is any rush to move him.  

No busteroo bonsai's for the Hog!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Isn't Allvin high on Hogz though .... didn't Pittsburgh inquire about his availability at one time (maybe last off season, after his rookie year)?  I seem to remember an offhand JB comment about players other teams were interested in.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I can't remember which video but there were a few occasions in the mic'd up series at the beginning of the season where Boeser and Green "made fun of" Hoglander for screwing up a drill over and over again. 

It sounds like he has a tough time sometimes following the systems or plays which makes sense considering he can often find himself totally out of place in the dzone and other plays. I also believe he would greatly benefit from playing in the AHL and getting a lot of prime time minutes where he will be forced to be more conscientious. 

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, JM_ said:

Garland was worse for a long time until the very end of the season when he finally figured it out again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf,

Myers is a big, RD who can skate. He took some hard minutes this year and had a decent / arguably strong year. is he overpaid by maybe 500k sure, but that's it. Big, Mobile RD are at a premium in the NHL. He could easily be moved without a sweetener, the real question is who takes his minutes? We moved Hamonic for a 3rd, you really think we can't move Myers with only 2 years left at 6 mil?

People act like Myers is garbage, he's not, and many teams would want him.

Also, Hogs is young, you don't dump young, hard working players who just have defensive deficiencies, this is common and correctable.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1