The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Amazingly, someone is actually reading and understanding the numbers:

It's really not that difficult.  Patrick Johnston and the others in the media could certainly take 2 minutes and learn to comprehend this stuff.

I am listening to the endless whining on 650 about too many players and the resulting issues and that Benning doesn't understand what he has done to himself.  Pathetic.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, rypien=hero said:

Miller/Ferland-Petey- Brock

Ferland/Miller-Bo-Virt

Pearson-Gaud/Sutter-Leivo

Motte-Beags-MacEwen 

Goldy 

Obviously a couple moves would have to be made, but this is a forward group I can get behind. Exciting days for Van.

I think that's a pretty crowded line up right now. 

If that's the line up, with no major additions coming, then I see Gaudette starting in the AHL for more seasoning. Hoping that Sutter can remain healthy, and perhaps be dealt at the trade deadline for picks or prospects. 

I see this line up:

Miller/Peterssson/Boeser

Ferland/Bo/Virtanen

Pearson/Gaudette/Leivo

Motte/Beagle/MacEwen

Goldobin as the extra forward, or he's dealt before the season because I don't see how he supplants himself in the top six. And if that's where he needs to be to thrive, then it's probably going to be somewhere else and not here in Vancouver. 

I say with Virtanen. to give him a shot there, if it doesn't work out, then I'd switch Virtanen with Pearson. 

Sutter needs to go, because he's a black hole offensively. Nobody playing with him is going to produce very much.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Eriksson, Sutter (RFA), Beagle (term) come to mind. Seems to be getting better though. 

Sutter, when healthy, is a huge part of the team and worth every penny.  After watching Beagle last year, I don't know how anyone would whine about his contract.  He's the bottom 6 anchor and when they make the playoffs, he will probably be the most important player not named Markstrom

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Silky mitts said:

Boeser was coming off a substantial injury with barely any rehab. Most of the season he looked hurt as well along with the taped wrist. Watch this season he gets 35 plus with EP.

He should get more goals in his 3rd season in the NHL than his first.  That would be the natural progression for any player.  I just think he can get there without playing with Petterson.  It will also give him more favorable match ups without Pettersson.  They don't compliment each other, so it is a greater benefit of the team having one of them play against a weaker match up. 

20 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

This is a nice highlight for sure.  Boeser scored some great goals off the deke last year.  He has a very quick release and a good pair of hands.  Standing around watching Petey do his all-world thing isn't utilizing Brock to his fullest potential.  I am not saying that it is impossible for them to grow and develop together into some amazing chemistry.  It is great that they are young, friends and experiencing all of these things together.  Thats all good.  I am purely talking about their playing styles.  They are currently not a fit.  Baertschi is the type of guy who can give passes, fish for pucks, and finish off almost any pass; but he doesn't have the play driving ability that a Boeser or Pettersson have.  Baertschi is a complimentary player.  Goldobin thought the game the same way that Pettersson did/does; so he got himself into the right places.  He just can't finish to save his life.  Boeser doesn't need a playmaking center.  He needs Hughes to pass him the puck and let him break into the zone and shoot off the deke.  That's his bread and butter.  

Again, I am just talking about right now.  Overtime Boeser will learn how to position himself for shots off a pass better.  Luke Robitaille and Brett Hull come to mind of the types of shooters that would play well with Petey.  They are the prototypical disappear and then reappear at the right time type of scorers.  

Why is it that everyone finds any kind of criticism impossible to handle.  They are both great players just currently not a great fit.

It's certainly not the popular opinion but I agree with you.  While they are both top players and they make it work, I don't see it as a natural fit.  Pettersson is a quick thinker and Boeser is more of the Stamkos setup a shoot a rocket.  While that may seem like a good fit, in reality what it means is that Pettersson takes more defensive pressure.  I feel that he ideally needs a linemate that can do the same but with more physicality.  I personally feel that Podkolzin will be the perfect linemate for Pettersson.  I still feel that Horvat and Boeser have the most chemistry as Bo will drive through the middle physically leaving rebounds etc for Boeser which is where he shines.  Slight nuances to it, but I agree with you.  They aren't oil and water, but there may be some better options.  

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

Who?

Seriously - my dog could write for CanucksArmy or any of those other blogs - I bet you he got his journalism degree here:

th?id=OIP.c4pdBzfEfQZrVgNogVhVGgHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=313&h=177

No kidding.

Jim Benning has one job: Make the hockey club better in the near and long term by whatever means or methods he feels are best. Preferably means and methods backed up by logic and common sense.

I see *nothing* from this offseason period that he has done poorly on so far. I genuinely think Meyers is a fantastic addition, especially for the money and the term, Miller will shine here and now with Ferland for that price tag... this has been one of the best off-seasons in probably around 20 years. The Luongo offseason was a pretty big deal too, I suppose.

The cost of 'disposing' of Loui and/or Schaller will hopefully not be entirely awful.

Just now, stawns said:

Sutter, when healthy, is a huge part of the team and worth every penny.  After watching Beagle last year, I don't know how anyone would whine about his contract.  He's the bottom 6 anchor and when they make the playoffs, he will probably be the most important player not named Markstrom

So much yikes in such a short post.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

Don't we still have 6 mill in cap space after this signing and with the projection send downs to Utica? Add in another 3 mill with Roussel starting season LTIR = 9 mill in cap space to sign Boeser to a 6-7 mill/year contract.

I'm sure these NHL professional head office guys will have a plan to off load a contract or 2 in the next 3 months...

Ya'll complain for no reason. It's not your money. Watch to enjoy the game. Or shut the damn TV off. Quit your yapping about every single move. Dmitri is a terrible writer FYI. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I just personally think 4.4 mil is too much for that role, I like Sutter as a player

Edited by Bure_Pavel

11 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

There's nothing to suggest Boeser is just a guy "looking to get paid" and isn't buying in to the org's vision. 

Agree 100% - people have to look at it this way - he's not the only RFA unsigned at the moment - Tkachuk and Marner also are unsigned. Brock does not have a lot of negotiating power (can't sign an offer sheet etc) and there's a reason it's called negotiations folks. A lot of RFAs want the shorter term contracts and it seems the GMs are balking at this. I'll grow concerned when training camp starts and he is unsigned. For the moment I will bask in the fact we improved this year and teams like the Coilers and Flames so far have not.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

I am listening to the endless whining on 650 about too many players and the resulting issues and that Benning doesn't understand what he has done to himself.  Pathetic.  

There has to be something. And when the contracts get resolved, it'll be something else. The lengths people go to to prevent being wrong is staggering.

Predictable ... and yes, pathetic. 

• Like 1