The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

It's crazy, but the deeper I look into the advanced stats, the better Myers looks, especially with OEL. I'm starting to think this pairing is a big part of the reason for our strong defensive numbers this year, in addition to Demko.

It seems crazy, but with how strong he's been defensively, there could be a case that he's fighting Hughes as our best defenseman. I'm struggling to believe it and am searching for stats to show how Hughes could be better, but to no avail so far, haha.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's crazy, but the deeper I look into the advanced stats, the better Myers looks, especially with OEL. I'm starting to think this pairing is a big part of the reason for our strong defensive numbers this year, in addition to Demko.

It seems crazy, but with how strong he's been defensively, there could be a case that he's fighting Hughes as our best defenseman. I'm struggling to believe it and am searching for stats to show how Hughes could be better, but to no avail so far, haha.

Completely agree, he's gotten better with age and really refined his defensive game and is understanding how better to use his size physically without taking stupid penalties.

For me he was our best defenceman last year (when Hughes sucked defensively) and now he's IMO our 2nd best after Hughes. OEL and Myers are being deployed as a shutdown pairing and they're doing a brilliant job of it. When you look at the Flames how they use their defencemen, Gudbranson and Zadorov are being used quite similarly. You could argue they're relatively cheap, averagr defencemen doing a great job of it, but our 15M boys are doing a good job of it too.

Whatever it takes to make the team better is more important. When Hughes was out OEL racked up points and I bet Myers could do the same, but it's better for the team to just have one puck mover, a safer guy playing with Hughes and a great shutdown pairing to play with Bo's line against top offensive lines, and then a 3rd pairing who can chip in with PK time. 

Personally though I'd like to see our PP use 2 defencemen and focus on more point shots and tip ins (because that seems to bring success in the tighter games and playoffs) but really can't complain as the PP is clicking well right now, so for now Myers is a fantastic 2nd pairing shutdown right defenceman - basically what we've been looking for for years. 

Any trade noise should really be squashed - we'd be a terrible team without Myers.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Right now, Hughes is obviously still our #1 Dman, but OEL and Myers are #2/#3, while Schenn is #4.  So, who is our #1 D pairing? The #1/#4 combo, or maybe the #2/#3?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Tyler Myers is the only Canuck to have dressed for all 82 games this season

+ 15 on the season

Love to move Myers for the “Oinkster” from the Jets.  Similar cap hits, but the “Squeeler” is a player who is more consistent defensively and has some offence too.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love to move Myers for the “Oinkster” from the Jets.  Similar cap hits, but the “Squeeler” is a player who is more consistent defensively and has some offence too.  

Can't see the Jets wanting him back though - they let him go to free agency for a reason.  He was a 3rd pairing D for them at the end of his time there.  They insisted Pionk be part of the return for Trouba - now that he's turned out as good as they hoped and signed an extension don't see them moving him.  

• Vintage 1

Even though Myers is expensive at $6M, I'm starting to think that he's maybe worth it. If he was on the open market now, I'm pretty sure he'd get very close to $6M. Maybe even more.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Even though Myers is expensive at $6M, I'm starting to think that he's maybe worth it. If he was on the open market now, I'm pretty sure he'd get very close to $6M. Maybe even more.

I agree with you.

If you look at the cap next year a couple of things could mean we have enough to keep Myers and sign a very solid UFA to add to the defense as well.

If Poolman stays on LTIR -which he might with long term migraine problems.  Also if Boeser signs for 6.25 or less. We will then have money.

Then the following year all the dead cap comes off to attend to Miller and Horvat.

So with two years left on Myers contract I don't feel the urgency some to do dump him.  I like him actually. And he is bought in to living in BC and playing for Van - and will help lead the team to war if asked.

Hughes Oel Myers a good UFA Schenn Dermott Rathbone and Burroughs is getting to a deep enough place to support a playoff team next year.

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

We have OEL at 7.2.  We can’t afford to have Myers eating up 6.  That’s 13 mil on our second pair.  Myers out for just cap and sign (or trade) for a defensive minded guy who makes 3 or less.  Right now our OEL-Myers pair kills our cap.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We have OEL at 7.2.  We can’t afford to have Myers eating up 6.  That’s 13 mil on our second pair.  Myers out for just cap and sign (or trade) for a defensive minded guy who makes 3 or less.  Right now our OEL-Myers pair kills our cap.  

Maybe so, but I do think that if we lose Myers, our defense could become markedly worse. I think some fans don't realize the value Myers brings to the team. Maybe if you're lucky you can get a guy that's 80% as good for 60% the price, but why would any other team trade that guy away? Whoever that would be is likely on a good deal and thus has elevated value.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, -AJ- said:

Maybe so, but I do think that if we lose Myers, our defense could become markedly worse. I think some fans don't realize the value Myers brings to the team. Maybe if you're lucky you can get a guy that's 80% as good for 60% the price, but why would any other team trade that guy away? Whoever that would be is likely on a good deal and thus has elevated value.

I agree. 

Myers is not a bad player. He eats up minutes and is generally put against the other team's better lines, without completely messing up the assignment most of the time. He also contributes a bit of scoring here and there - though intermittently. 

The issue in my mind is two-fold. First, he eats up a lot of cap for what he provides. Second, he isn't what we NEED; he's not a role player. He scores a little, defends OK (and only OK), and has good size but doesn't play all that physical, considering. What we REALLY need is a big, hard-hitting defensive stalwart who can play with Hughes, protect him, keep up with the play, and cover for any mistakes as Hughes pinches in. THAT is the role we need filled. And once it is, Myers becomes expendable. 

But for right now, as the team is currently constructed, I agree - without Myers, our team is noticeably worse.

33 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree. 

Myers is not a bad player. He eats up minutes and is generally put against the other team's better lines, without completely messing up the assignment most of the time. He also contributes a bit of scoring here and there - though intermittently. 

The issue in my mind is two-fold. First, he eats up a lot of cap for what he provides. Second, he isn't what we NEED; he's not a role player. He scores a little, defends OK (and only OK), and has good size but doesn't play all that physical, considering. What we REALLY need is a big, hard-hitting defensive stalwart who can play with Hughes, protect him, keep up with the play, and cover for any mistakes as Hughes pinches in. THAT is the role we need filled. And once it is, Myers becomes expendable. 

But for right now, as the team is currently constructed, I agree - without Myers, our team is noticeably worse.

If Myers goes who takes the shutdown matchup with OEL.  Maybe can upgrade on schenn without messing with the OEL Myers pairing 

On 5/8/2022 at 4:25 AM, -AJ- said:

Gudbranson is around 30% and similar size and points

8 hours ago, flat land fish said:

If Myers goes who takes the shutdown matchup with OEL.  Maybe can upgrade on schenn without messing with the OEL Myers pairing 

Is OEL meant to do the shutdown?

Isn’t he supposed to be the second offensive punch? 

I get that 13M on a second defensive pairing is ridiculous, but I'd rather have that than trade Myers, sign someone like Lybushkin cheaply and have say 10M on the second pairing and be a lot worse defensively and on the PK.

Myers isn't the problem in all of this - 6M nowadays for a sturdy top defenceman who plays top PK minutes and can contribute offensively at times (20-30 point pace) isn't really that bad.

OEL is the problem, but because he seems harder to move, everyone's attention turns to Myers which isn't right because then we go tinkering with the wrong pieces on the team. 7.2M for a defenceman who scores 40-50 points and plays top-4 minutes is pretty good though, and OEL is more than capable of that, but the way he's been deployed by Bruce just makes his offensive numbers look worse.

Like all areas of the team, we're going to have to spend cap and have cheap guys to save cap. Our money is 100% tied up in Hughes (rightly so), then OEL and Myers for about 21M. That's a quarter of the cap, for the 3 guys who play the most minutes and most important situations. 

It's certainly not horrible considering we have some absolute steal, budget signings in Schenn and Dermott which IMO evens things out a lot. Schenn's been playing at a cap-hit level of around 3-4M last year. Bring in maybe a cheap Rathbone or Burroughs next year for the bottom pairing and either of those guys will out-perform their cap. I think we should be pretty happy with that mix.

Of course, ideally we have our top guy (Hughes) making his big bucks (7M+), then maybe another star getting 6-7M in our top-4, a couple of 4-5M guys and some cheap 1-2M guys on the bottom-pairing, but it equates to a very similar total cap hit which we have right now.