The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Bobby Orr goal over rated?

Rate this topic

Gator

Is the Bobby Orr Stanley Cup winning goal over rated?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just watched a video of the top 50 NHL goals of all time and they had that Cup winning goal by Orr #1.. I may be a Bruin hater but that goal was nothing special. I could seriously find 50 Sedin goals that are better.

Curious on what you guys think.

Edited by Brock Botanen
  • Upvote 1

All play, players, etc are situational, and are judged at the time of the play, and in that era, it was the moment...…….

Like a lot of plays that are iconic in sports...…...you had to see it in context

Has there been better goals.....yeah sure, prettier ones that's for sure, but to do that in OT, and for the cup, and by that player, it sure was a moment....that is for sure!

But what would I know!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I'd say so. People attach the goal to the image, player and moment. It's an iconic moment and clip of an iconic player winning it all, but the goal itself wasn't spectacular. He'd most certainly scored nicer goals and there have been nicer goals since. Many of them. 

It's subjective too, that's why there are lists in the first place. 

i know one thing. bobby orr wasn’t over rated. he changed the way defensemen played the games. i often wondered what his stats would have looked like, if he played a forward position? i think that goal was just iconic of the way he played the game. 

• Cheers 2

Are you a troll?

Starved for attention?

This is cheezy bait at best.

Bobby has changed into his true identity, scoring a huge goal and Flying Like Superman!

(And this was before modern movie techniques destroyed audiences' imaginations.)

Can't wait 'til school starts...

• Wat 1

10 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Just watched a video of the top 50 NHL goals of all time and they had that Cup winning goal by Orr #1.. I may be a Bruin hater but that goal was nothing special. I could seriously find 50 Sedin goals that are better.

Curious on what you guys think.

It may not have been pretty, but it was a SC winning goal; something that the Sedins never achieved.

You can't find a better snapshot of a such an important goal and it has become ingrained in most hockey fan's minds. As other folks have said...it is iconic.

The picture is awesome.  I had never seen video of it until recently (last couple years), on a similar top list TV show.

Just looking at the pic, I always thought that he had scored while horizontal.  If that were the case, I would agree about it being the top goal.  Since it isn't, I would rank Ovie's butt goal as higher.. just that game didn't matter anywhere near as much as Orr's.

It gets hyped cuz it was an OT Cup-winning goal, made prettier with the horizontal snapshot.  The goal itself is overrated.  There are plenty of highlight reel goals out there that are far prettier and more dependent on skill that I would rank higher.

And, FWIW, I am an Orr fan.

• Upvote 1